4.4 out of 5 stars1,734
Colour Name: Space GreyChange

on 28 December 2012
I bought this on a whim yesterday to replace my third generation Ipod Touch. After three years with the touch I realised that I never use wifi, I never download apps, I never watch movies and I never play games. All I want is a touch screen music player. With the same memory as my old 16gb Ipod Touch, this does the job.

Whereas with the Ipod Touch I constantly guilt-tripped myself for not making the most out of it's fancy functions (apps, wifi etc.) the very fact that you cannot download extra things on this 7th generation nano, is comforting. Saying that, if you're really into your internet browsing, app-usage and game playing then steer clear of the nano.

Further, I'm sure many of you, like me, are waiting for your mobile phone contract to end so you can sign up for an Iphone. With a year to go on my current phone contract this provides a great transition to an Iphone. I won't feel like I've wasted my money on this Ipod when I eventually get an Iphone because this is a music player, pure and simple. In my eyes, buying an Ipod Touch and signing up for an Iphone contract would have been a complete waste of money as they are fairly similar.

So for me, this works but as with anything it totally depends on what you want from the product. I just like listening to music and for that, the sound quality is great. However, one thing I will say is that if you are used to a decent pair of headphones, then the new earpod headphones that come with the nano are a little disappointing. However, this isn't really a problem as you can always hook up your preferred headphones to the device.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought one of these for a friend who wanted a good quality mp3 player, and is a bit of an Apple fan (ie they like their stuff)
First thing that hits you is just how tiny this little beast is, it's a mere 5mm thick too which makes it very portable and easy to carry around.

It's a very solid player overall, though it's not cheap...
A quick summary of the good and bad points

+ Very compact, nicely made case feels quality in the hand
+ Headphones much improved over previous Apple buds (new "Earpods" are quite good) though not as good as some stand alone sets
+ Screen is a fairly respectable 2.5" 432x240 pixel display quite sharp and clear, very good touch screen response quite accurate
+ Pedometer is built in if you fancy keeping track of your fitness/walking
+ Bluetooth 4.0, range is excellent and I had no problems with streaming music

Not so hot:
- Radio function is a bit crude, lacking presets and no auto search (also requires the headphones to be plugged in) It does have a live pause function though (which is unusual and useful)
- Wifi would be handy (maybe the next version)
- Have to use iTunes to sync, drag and drop can be handy for video

Other notes:
Lightning connector is a change from the older iPods so you have to buy an adapter (which isn't cheap) to fit most iPod docks. However you do have bluetooth which can make that a non issue.
Battery life is good for music playback (Apple say about 30 hours it's not far off that) expect a fair bit less with video playback though (enough to watch a movie or 2 at best, say 3 hours or so)

You can watch movies and look at photos (display is quite reasonable for movie watching but it's not super high res either)
Sound quality is good, though not high end audio by any means. Some people will find the new Earpods not their taste, I get on ok with them but some friends are not keen at all. Comfort wise it's down to taste.

It's quite a simple player in many ways no fancy features really, but it does the job well overall. Price wise, there are certainly cheaper options out there, but many feel Apple deliver in terms of quality and style.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2013
I absolutely love this product, it is perfect. Nice sleek design, nice colour, easy to use and good sound quality.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2015
Very happy with this tiny mp3 player. Although one could gripe about the price (lack of competition from the likes of Sony keep it high), you can't deny the quality. As ever it's very easy to use, setup is a doddle with iTunes installed and the lightning cable seems faster at syncing. It's very easy to organise and sync your music, videos and podcasts at the click of a button. I like the fact that Apple have removed the 'wheel' for adjusting volume (yes its been a while since I've owned a Nano) and replaced it with side buttons. It's less fiddly and easy to use.

Included with the iPod are the new ear-pod headphones. They are really quite good audio-wise for small ear buds. However I did find them a little uncomfortable, and if you're more sensitive to ear buds, they may not be your cup-of-tea either.

Possibly my two favourite features are 'bluetooth' and the FM Radio. The radio is pretty self explanatory, but is great for long journeys. Bluetooth means you can connect the iPod wirelessly to a set of enabled speakers or your car speakers if they use Bluetooth. Excellent for when you want "crank some toons".

One thing I love about using iTunes (over, say, Sony's music player) is the ease at which you can organise various songs and albums, merge, sort and make audio adjustments to individual tracks. I've found this very helpful when merging songs into one compilation album.

I'm very impressed with this new iPod, it's very small, holds a lot at 16GB, is as easy as ever to use and very light. I do think it's overpriced at just 16GB in memory however, but until Sony can produce a decent rival along with software, this is pretty much still Apple's territory.
on 16 February 2013
Just "Brilliant". Can get so much music on it. Large screen makes it easy to operate even for the likes of me with glasses.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2013
I think its a great little piece of electronic equipment, it may surprise you to learn that I am 80 years old but I love pop music of all kinds, I previously had an mp 3 player but this does far more ...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2013
Looks great small and light brilliant present for my girlfriend and very quick to get to me would recommend to others
on 28 January 2015
Purchased for my wife for her Birthday and she absolutely loves it. She's not tech savvy but with minimal tuition from me she was able to set it up, register for iTunes, purchase music and sync the iPod within an hour or so of me giving her some pointers. I have a 2nd Generation iPod and the differences between mine and this 7th product are plain to see. At 16GB there's ample storage, the touch screen is intuitive and easy to navigate, and since she set it up my wife hasn't been without her iPod "Nonna" as she calls it.
on 3 March 2014
This is by far the best nano to date. It is easy to use with the touch screen making quick access to your music and settings. The volume control/pause play buttons on the side are a great feature. I would recommend this to anybody who loves music.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2014
Wanted something small and light for when I take the dog out. Simple to operate but I needed help to set it up ( I am not very IT). As for the seller, the delivery time was well in advance of suggested delivery date. All round very happy to recommend it