on 18 February 2014
I wish I had bought this sooner. I'm Asian (Indian) and have suffered with facial hair for a long time. I've had professional laser, IPL and electrolysis over the years. I've tried trimming the hair, bleaching it, you name it I've done it. The professional treatments worked for a while but the hair always came back. It really started to affect my mood and confidence, every time I saw myself in a mirror it was the only thing I saw. I deliberated for a long time about buying this as it isn't cheap and I wasn't sure if it would work on my skin tone or not. I tried to do as much research as I could but there wasn't a lot out there about using it with Asian skin.

It arrived quickly and in good condition. Its easy to use although I do have to contort my face/neck to make sure there is good contact. I did a test patch with no reaction so went ahead and treated my lower face and neck. I use setting 4 after trying 3 and 4 in the patch test. There was a very mild sensation only, no stinging, no reaction or redness to the skin either. The way the handset is, its quite easy for the setting to be altered inadvertently. Occasionally it has gone up to 5 by accident and I've done a couple of flashes before realising. It feels stronger on 5, not sore but more noticeable. I haven't had any reactions even on level 5, I probably could treat at this level but don't want to risk damaging my skin or go against the guidelines.

I've done 4 treatments now, 2 weeks between each. I plan to do another treatment in 2 weeks then increase the interval between treatments. The difference is truly amazing, there is virtually NO HAIR even prior to needing the next treatment. I can't believe I waited so long to get this. I wear my hair up now as I'm not worried about trying to cover my facial hair. I'm writing this review to help anyone else with facial hair decide whether this is right for them or not. I understand that this device merely 'stuns' the hair follicle into not growing and if I were to stop then the hair would return.....I think that's probably what has happened with previous professional treatments. The relief of having an easy, quick, home solution to this problem really is amazing.

It is a lot of money but I will definitely replace the unit as and when necessary, unless something better comes on the market by then. It works out far cheaper than professional treatment and is as effective (from my point of view anyway).
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2014
I have suffered from pale skin and dark all over the body hair all of my life, I am 40 now and wished i had tried this years ago. I used to pluck my upper lip every single day sometimes twice a day, my regrowth speed is pretty amazing bordering on superhuman. MY legs are stubbly after a morning shave by lunchtime. this is depressing and resulted in me never wearing skirts to work. MY armpits were also the same. My bikini line was always plagued with stubble rash or ingrown hairs and was about as attractive as shreks ass !! I bought this product in argos with the buy now pay later option. I couldnt wait to get it home but had to leave my plucked upper lip a few days to grown in. I then to my absolute horror had to wet shave my upper lip. This was about as low as my mood could ever have got that I was so hairy i was foaming my face up. As I was not used to the gurning facial positions that men do, I actually took half my top lip off with the razor leaving a nasty gash.
BY this point I actually cried :( I had dark stubble growing on my lip which could be seen even after the freddy Kruegar moment with the razor. I had blood streaming down my chin and I was very very miserable. Half an hour later with enough tissue paper stuck to my face to look like the mummy, I did my first zap, I went straight for a five as I didnt think my facial injuries could get any worse. It didnt hurt, just a bright light. I countinued around the tissue blobs and did my upper lip. Then my armpits which took a bit longer than their recommended time, then my bikini line, takes practice to work it in that join of the groin ! then I did my legs, I must have adhd as there was no way I could sit for the length of time it takes to do my legs, their times are seriously off, I know I have 33 inch legs but it was taking ages. SO my legs are still stubbly but hey as long as I dont have desperate dan face stubble in the morning I can live with cactus legs.

2 months on - No upper lip hair at all !!!!! none. No armpit hair !!!! - the bikini line is taking its sweet time to make a huge difference but its a difference. Also there doesnt seem to be that harsh stubble on regrowth just soft downy hair. Some patches are bald but mostly have sparse hair sprouting. Has it worked ? omg yes !!! Will I buy another one when the 100,000 flashes stop working - - hell yes !!! DO I wish I had done this in my teens ?? - yes. I have suffered and yes suffered is the right word with low confidence about my appearance for years, this has made me feel more like a woman than a male rugby team.
My Advice is buy it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 March 2015
I've been using this product for about a year now. In case it can help anyone decide whether this product is for them or not, here are some of my personal pros and cons I've experienced from using this product, and I've got some tips for use too:

- Hairs do get finer and growth is reduced with continued use
- It has reduced number of ingrown hairs for me
- Very minimal discomfort in use (mostly a flash of heat)
- Device is easy to use and easy to clean
- Device is cordless which is convenient
- Good battery-life of product

- Hair growth hasn't been 100% eliminated for me. After a year of treating every 2 weeks I've seen a reduction of about 60-70% - but I still need to shave the remaining hairs that still grow. (And you can't use waxing, hair removal creams or any other method that removes hairs from the roots because in order for the Lumea treatment to work you need the roots of the hairs to stay in the skin). It's worth noting though that different bodies may respond differently. Some people have found more than 60-70% hair reduction. Just thought I'd mention that :)
- Some body areas respond better than others: underarm for me hasn't reduced hair growth as much as the legs did.
- It's quite time-consuming to do the Philips Lumea treatment AND the pre-treatment shaving
- For facial hair removal, shaving the face in the areas pre-treatment as the instructions specify is kind of terrifying the first few times.. I got used to it eventually though, and thankfully my worst fears about shaving the face (people warned me "it'll grow back thicker and coarser!") didn't come true. When coupled with using the machine it has resulted in finer, lighter, less obvious facial hair growth.
- It's not a permanent hair removal solution, and in my experience, it requires constant upkeep. It requires quite a lot of discipline to keep doing this treatment every 2 weeks, especially if you're doing large areas like both legs (though smaller areas like upper lip or underarm are easier to keep up). I should note that because different bodies respond differently, some people have found that instead of having to treat every 2 weeks, they can go much longer before needing a top-up treatment.
- It's kind of hard to make sure you've treated all the skin in a complete, even way. On my legs I've found that I have little rectangles with really sparse hair growth where I've done the "flashes" but occasionally there's a rectangle that's surrounded by a little frame of hairier skin that I must have missed. I try to overlap the flash-zones during treatment to avoid getting these hairy frames, but for me it's been tricky to avoid getting them.

Tips for use:
- Read the manual to make sure you're using the product safely.
- Wait a couple of hours between prepping the skin (shaving) and using the Philips Lumea to avoid redness and irritation
- Close eyes for the flash when you hit the flash-button - the light is kinda bright. Either that or sunglasses.
- For large areas like the legs, I recommend using a white eye liner pencil to mark where you've already done. It helps you keep track.
- You're not supposed to use the machine on very dark skin or on moles (I think it's because the darker colour absorbs too much of the light to be safe). If you have moles on the area you are treating, use white eye liner pencil to paint over moles so that if you accidentally go over one, it'll be ok.
- Don't be scared of using the highest setting if the manual tells you your skin is the right skin-type for the maximum setting. I was really scared at first and spent the first 4-5 treatments on setting "3" just in case the higher setting was too painful or because I was scared a higher setting might burn my skin but the result was a minimal reduction in hair growth. Once I was brave enough to ramp up the setting to "5" (full strength), I started seeing results. I should note though that I still use setting "4" rather than "5" on my face because the skin there is more sensitive and is a little red and puffy after "4" so I wouldnt want to risk a "5". (The redness & puffiness goes away after like 20 minutes though)
- Be consistent and don't leave it too long between treatments

Overall: Even with only 60-70% reduced hair growth, I still felt this is significant enough to make a difference so overall I'm l happy I bought this product.
on 15 May 2013
This product has literally changed my life. I was initially put off by the price and feared I would be throwing away around £400 if the treatments didn't work but I'm glad I took the plunge.

I have pale skin and dark, thick brown hair but have been plagued with troublesome areas, rapid regrowth and shaving irritations since puberty. I have tried almost everything to make this more manageable and I have to say none of the other methods even come close to the results I got with this.

I have now done four treatments (on underarms and bikini line) but started to get results after the first one. The hair begins to shed in quite a patchy way but after the third treatment I would say I had around an 80% reduction in hair. I barely have to shave at all now having just done the fourth. My main advice is to be patient, it took two weeks for the hair to shed after my first treatment and I was worried it wasn't going to will look like the hair is growing back but it is actually shedding so don't panic straight away, give it time to work. I purposely didn't review this product until I had done a few treatments.

I managed to do four treatments on underarms and bikini line before having to charge the device. It is really easy to use (although I would strongly recommend having a good look through the manual to check you are using it safely and are confident before starting) and I love that it is cordless. The carry case it comes in is really handy too for storage and to make sure the screen part doesn't get damaged.

All in all I'm so pleased with the results and confident after another couple of treatments I will be able to use it every 4 weeks just to top up and doubt I will have to shave the treated areas at all. This will be the first summer I can be relaxed and not worry about unwanted hair, stubble and shaving rash! Best £400 or so I have ever spent.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2015
Wow - a pain free hair removal product that actually works! I bought it a year ago and have used it as directed (pretty much every 2 weeks). I took a break for about 3 months through the summer due to sun exposure (as advised), but used it all through the winter. This is the first year I'll be able to go on holidays without having to have a waxing appointment. Thrilled. Not 100% hair free, but the little that's left is easily dealt with by plucking.
on 12 November 2014
Be aware! If the device is not under warranty it cannot be fixed! I forgot to charge mine and it went off! I called Philips to repair it and they said it can't be fixed as the batteries went off. I told them it is a device which is charged but they told me, no, you have to charge it every 3 months even it is not being used. If it was under warranty they would replace it. Nowhere in the manual said that. I feel misguided. Be aware what you are buying and check other products too. I will definitely be more suspicious with Phillips from now on.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
Well,I usually don't write reviews because I don't know exactly what should I write, but a MUST. Is great girls! I just purchased this product a month ago, after months and months of research. I was scared that it won't gonna work for me and I didn't want to lose my money. I was afraid of fail just for the simple fact that I'm very hairy,with dark and very thick hair.But magic! after 3 sessions I can see a big difference, is absolutely fantastic, maybe I won't gonna be totally hair free, but I'm really happy with this product. Girls, even if the product it doesn't work for you you can sell it, is an investment. My advise is to use sunglasses with UV protection when you use the product,the flashes are quite disturbing and use the product until the battery is off and then wait to recharge and continue. Great product!
on 7 February 2015
fantastic, does exactly what it says, takes a few sessions over a few months to get full benefit and you need to keep it up to keep hair away, but it really does work. seems time consuming at first but the effort is worth the result. so good to have smooth legs/underarms/bikini line without shaving rash or ingrown hairs. great investment.
on 29 June 2013
thanks for GOD that i found this great tool !!

it is a live saving as i have a huge problem with fast heavy growing hair, and under skin hair, boils after hair regow with pus and bad look !!

really you have to try it, you will notice a slowing of hair growth from the 1st use

read the method it is easy but importnant , you should keep time interval between each use (2 weeks) if less no more improve ment

after 1st use the hair will stop grow and the treated area seems like u just shave it for days !!! WOW

after 2nd use some areas will stop showing hair growth for more than week !! really wow and some other area seems like it stop grow hair completely !!

you will find that the hair is smoother and the area turns lighter and smoother than ever before

now i am waiting for the 3rd use result

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2014
I bought this back in August 2013 and have waited nearly a year to write a review. Partly because I kept forgetting but also because I wanted to be absolutely sure of what I was going to write.

My hair tends to grow back quite quickly so if I shave one morning then by the end of the next day I would regret it I hadn't done so the next morning. This gadget has changed my life! I've used it on my legs, bikini line and underarms. I would get ingrown hairs in most places with shaving and waxing but this has pretty much eradicated that.

I have to admit to being a bit overzealous and using the gadget more frequently than advised to start with but it's really worked. Now I am using it really infrequently and even when the hair grows back it does so FAR slower. I recommended it to my friend who uses it on her face (I'm not brave enough!) and it's changed her life too.

I've got pale skin and dark brown hair so am a prime candidate for this gadget. I am really thrilled with it and it's been worth every penny. I'll never be without one of these ever again!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse