HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer
Price:£83.79+Free shipping

on 6 November 2012
This is a great printer and seems to tick all the boxes:

1. Prints from all devices tested so far - iPad, iPhone, Laptop, Desktop - Brilliantly simple and about the cheapest wireless printer you can find at the moment with this amount of flexibility.
2. Quick and easy to set up - you dont even need to install the drivers off the included CD if you prefer not to as Windows 7 detects and installs basic drivers for you automatically.
3. Compact size - doesnt need much space and because its wireless can be stuck anywhere out of the way.
4. Reasonably priced consumables - having spent a fortune on ink with other printers, this was a major factor.

Overall very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 December 2013
The printer arrived on time and in good condition. This is for home use and so far after about 3 weks use I love it. Easy to set up and used with wireless network from all over the house. Love the easy link to Ipad etc

Update- Well I have now had the printer for a month or so and I am not happy! The paper feed makes a terrible racket as if a bearing has gone or something and I am expecting it to fail at any time! Although the paper tray is fully stacked with paper the printer keeps stopping and telling me it has no paper or it is wrongly stacked! I simply press the restart and off it goes, very anoying, especially on multi page prints where you have to sit there! As soon as an ink level gets low, any colour print you want to make simply loses that colour, there is no warning, it works or it is empty!

As I said above the set up is simple and it is a cheap machine, but cheap or not it has to work! Based on the last month I would not recommend this printer
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 January 2013
Excellent printer wireless and ideal for my new ipad.
Quick and easy to set up print very well
And even does photos
on 1 July 2013
very neat, prints both sides of the paper. looks great.. very easy to use. I HAVE THE PRINTER UP STAIRS NO PROBLEMS PRINTING FROM ANY ROOM
on 20 October 2012
This printer arrived in unspoilt condition in a well protected package one day earlier than estimated.
I have been using it for a couple of days and I am very happy with it. The wireless function caused no headache and the quality of printing is excellent. The scan function is also good and quick.
It may have less sophisticated functions when compared to other products in the market but this is what you would need if you have to print and scan at home. On the whole, a cost-effective product.
I would definitely recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 July 2013
Glad I bought it. The first one I had was not picking up the paper properly. I tried the HP website which was not helpful so I rang Amazon and the very next morning a van came to pick up the malfunctioning one and, at the same time, deliver my replacement machine. Now that is service with a capital S.
I don't usually write reviews but this time five stars is well deserved both by Amazon (for their service) and by HP (for making the machine). The replacement HP Photosmart 5520 is a superb printer. It works.
on 7 July 2013
I purchased this printer primarily for use with my tablet & smartphone (both Android) as a general purpose everyday printer. It is very neat & compact & was very easy to set up straight out of the box - the activation of the printer on HP eprint Center & Google Cloud Print was straightforward (both apps are free on Play Store), as was connecting to my secured wifi router. Printing to HP eprint email is simple; so too is printing a file on the tablet. You can select single or duplex printing, one page, multiple pages or all pages. I have also installed the printer on my laptop (software downloadable from HP eprint Center) & printed from the laptop in an adjacent room to the printer. Printing is fast & good quality. I have not yet tested the scan & copy functions, but part of the set up process does include a test scan & this was fine.
I shall still use my A3 printer for my Photoshop & photographic printing, but it is a bit of a beast & has a pretty massive footprint compared to the 5520; so if space is at a premium then the 5520 is a good choice. Overall a very versatile, good quality product (I have always purchased HP printers) & for the price you can't go wrong.
Update 10/7 - it's worth mentioning that it is not possible to set up this printer to default to duplex printing from Android (only possible to do this in Windows on a PC), & this has been confirmed by HP Support. It will print duplex from Android, but you need to manually change the setting each time, which is not the ideal situation.
on 22 August 2013
This is the latest in a long line of HP printers, big and small, that we have had over the years and it is the one which has impressed me the most. It is quick and the printing is top quality, double sided is really good, and looks to be economical to run. I can heartily recommend this printer to anyone who has light to medium volume of printing requirements - unbelievably good value at this price.
on 26 September 2014
As a lifelong fan of HP Printers, I am bitterly disappointed with this one. Its paper feeding mechanism is simply badly designed and works only around 80% of the time. HP don't admit the design flaw, but its own advice on paper handling runs to 13 pages of A4, which sort of says it all.

The printer frequently claims to be 'out of paper', yet I've learned that if I just wait for around 20 seconds, the print will eventually appear. I am often clearing paper jams and phony error messages. At times the printer decides to issue really weird grinding noises too (even when on standby).

I've had this one 9 months and its no better than the day I bought it.

My kids also use it and they take bets on whether their prints will come out right-first-time.

Sorry HP, for the first time in 2 decades of liking all your ink jet, laser and managed print devices (I used to sell them too as a dealer) - you've torn your near perfect reputation. Once I've exhausted my supply of ink cartridges, its off to the skip. I just hope I can do better next time. I will need a lot of convincing that another HP ink jet has had its paper loading and feed system redesigned before I purchase another.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have the usual iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro and iMac in my house and my last printer (an Epson) was NOT an air printer and it was an inconvenience for sure. So, I decided to buy a new printer and let my 3 year old Epson go to someone who didn't have a printer.

It arrived in the product box with no outer packaging which was fine! as it was a sturdy box. It was easy to unpack and as I was setting it all up wirelessly (even with my iMac which it was going to sit next to) I actually stood it on the kitchen counter and plugged it into a wall socket. It then proceeded to start up and the display walked me through the instructions (with video) on how to unpack and install the starter ink that came with it. Easy and flawless in procedure.

I then was asked if I wanted to set up the printer wirelessly or with the enclosed CD (Recommended) and I chose the CD option. After loading into my iMac it asked me to choose the 'updated' version from the web which I duly downloaded (took about 10 minutes) and then I was into the full set up.

It was easy, HP walks you through the whole process and I just had to follow the instructions. Set up my HP web print account (was able to use my Snapfish log-in details as Snapfish is owned by HP) and within a few minutes I was printing out my first page. I then followed simple instructions to finish the complete installation.

A quick download from the App store to my iPhone and iPad of the app that controls my air printing from my other devices and I was all set up.

I AM VERY IMPRESSED. No more USB cables to my iMac. No need for printer to be anywhere near the computer and installation was simple as long as you follow the instructions.

VERY PLEASED. I love printers that JUST WORK for a Mac user.

I've now got the HP Utility on my Dock and I can check my ink levels on any device, even my iPhone which is superb!

Seems HP have got this all right.

Oh, and it prints good too :)
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...