on 20 January 2013
Let's start with what was in the box.

Contained the headphones, manual, a 3.5mm to 6.3mm screw on adapter, a perfect length detachable wire (not sure how long), warranty and an allen key (hex key to some). It was simple to open and easy to get to - which I like. Please note though, that they are absolutely HUGE. I wouldn't really want to wear them out in public. I have a pair of X41's, and after wearing CPO, the 41's looked as though they should have gone on my ear.

Before I go any further, if you haven't already read the title, I used to have a pair of Bose OE V1. They weren't half bad, and as I get all my Bose products VAT free, it wasn't such a bad deal. I just found they lacked in every spectrum. Bass was more rumble, lack in mids, and pretty much no highs. They were, however, exceptionally comfy, and the case that came with them was brilliant.

1. HIGHS

The highs were amazing straight out of the box. I've recently started listening to even more genres of music, including airy stuff (don't know the name of the genre, artist name is Exist Strategy). My god, it was as if there was actually new instruments and sounds in the songs. The sound can only be described as graceful. It's amazingly relaxing. I'd give them overall a 10/10

2. MIDS

As I said before, when I first got them out of the box, they were lacking big time. However after extremely large amounts of use, they're appearing. Slowly, but they are. Don't let me put you off though, they were still better than the Bose out of the box. Sometimes, however, I feel as though the bass has to compensate for the lack of bass, and you start getting boomy sub bass, which is not what I wanted. If I had wanted insane amounts of bass, I would have gone with Sony's XB series. Don't let this put you off either, because as I've already said, it is getting better by the day. Yes it may take a while, but I don't mind. I plan on having these 3-4 years. I've got time to wait. Out of the box, I'd have given them a 5/10 Now, they're at an 8/10

3. LOWS and SUB BASS

The best part of these headphones is definitely their ability to make your head rattle. Yes, that's right, the bass is monstrous. But it is really bass - it's tight, low, present and not boomy (not bass you get from terrible beats by dre which doesn't produce any bass lower than 20Hz, I can do a review on them if requested) I do still listen to Trap, dubstep, drum and bass and all of that bassy stuff and it does not fall short of expectations. Easily a 10/10. Absolutely mental.

4. AUDIO QUALITY (overall)

At first, I can honestly say that I wasn't that impressed by them. They too lacked in mids, and if you didn't turn up the bass on the headphones high enough, any song with bass would sort of sound funny. I did know that I'd have to let them burn in before hand, which could take up to 50 hours of music. I put them through my laptop at full volume to Pink Noise for around 6 hours - I got bored waiting for it haha! When I put them back on, I had already noticed a dramatic change in the quality of the music. It was as if they were new headphones altogether. From then on, the only burning in they've had is from me listening to music through them. It's been around 20 days since I got them, and they're still improving. Overall, quality is a 9/10 from me.

5. COMFORT and BUILD QUALITY

As I said before, they're huge. That doesn't make them uncomfortable though, as they certainly are. Sure, the plether ear cups can get a bit irritating sometimes, but not a problem - even leather does. Longest I've had them on for is around 6 hours at the moment (fell asleep with them on hehe) and my ears didn't feel at all painful. Build quality is brilliant, pretty much completely made out of metal. I don't feel as though they'd break. They've been shoved in my bag along with college book and a huge laptop many times now, and my laptop is the one that is breaking. HP G62 - stay away from it! Please, it's terrible. I've spent 600 pounds in total on it, paid 280 for it. HP customer support, yuck. Anyway, enough of them, back to these monsters. Where was I? Ah yes. Quality is brilliant, solid yet very comfortable. Some people have said clamping pressure is too great, I've found it fine. You just have to make sure that it's on the right click (you'll see what I mean if you get them).

My overall score for these is 9/10. Mids could have been a bit better out of the box, but I'll update once they're completely there.

Don't be expecting amazing monitor headphones - because these aren't them. Obviously they're meant to compete against beats. Do they? No. Beats aren't worthy of competition between such good headphones like these. It's like comparing German Engineering to well, american! (Beyerdynamic are in fact german).

If you're looking at other headphones that give similar performance for the same sort of price, might I recommend the V-Moda LP2, Ultrasone HFI 500 and 700 (I would have gone for them, but cable length put me off, it's something mental like 7 meters - no thanks! There is a youtube video though that shows you how to braid them. Search for "how to braid headphone cables" without the quotes.

Hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it! If you have any questions, respond here - I'll do my best to answer any questions.

UPDATE 20/12/13

It has nearly been a year after I've purchased them, which means they've had enough time to burn in. What a difference. They're absolutely awesome.

Mids are so much more prominent and colourful - something that they really lack at the beginning. For people that have given them a 3 start review or less haven't given them time to burn in, something that can require a lot of time and a time at which I wouldn't review them. You wouldn't rate an F1 car on it's ability to handle well when it's just had cold tires put on it.

When these are plugged into a more powerful amplifier (such as a Mac - note I said powerful not good) they're even better. I feel as though the cable has a higher than average resistance - other 32 Ohm headphones are powered a lot easier than these. Bass is strong and punchy - enough to really hurt your head. I must let you know though, I've had some problems with the left driver. I'm not yet sure what caused it, or whether it's the headphones themselves. When plugged into a Mac I don't get the problem, however with my home PC which uses terrible onboard audio I get a rattle. As I said before, it doesn't occur with the same song on a Mac - even with louder volumes.

The earcups are starting to annoy me a little - I constantly have spots around my ears from where I sweat with them on - but that might just be because I'm a sweaty teen! They're comfy, no doubt about it, but don't expect Sennheiser Momentum comfort.

More customising items are now available to buy, and whilst they look good, they're expensive considering the RRP of these headphones alone :(

In all, my views are still at a 9/10 - they're truly amazing headphones and have survived some hefty abusing from all of my travelling. I've sat on them, dropped them, yanked the cable out of them time and time again (might have something to do with the rattle haha!) and they're still performing at 100%.

If you listen to Electronic music, house, garage, rap, dubtep; basically anything with bass, then these are definitely the best I've come across. With a flip of the switch (literally) they even perform excellently with classical and opera.

Well done Beyer.

Update 08/03/2014

Rattling gone! However, I had to send them back, as it turns out that it was a suspected blown driver, which it turned out to be - all good now though! People rate the V-Moda M100, but they're twice as much as what you can pay for these! I bet they're no where near as twice as good as these.

Still recommended headphones if you're a total bass head like myself.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 December 2014
These headphones are for people who prefer a warmer tone to music and strong bass. They concentrate on lower midrange, and of course the bass is adjustable from light to extreme! And the port switch really woks. It's quite a startling difference. Even at "Linear" setting, the bass is powerful. At "Heavy", it's just insane!
Personally I found the "Linear" setting perfectly acceptable. The "Vibrant" and "Heavy" were just too heavy for me, but I still think very useful if your amp lacks serious bass or you aren't sure how much bass you need.
Bass is definitely where these headphones are. Mine haven't run-in yet, but the one thing that is very noticeable is the definition in the extreme bass is improving all the time. You know the bass I mean - the type you can't exactly hear, but you rather feel instead.
They are most certainly amongst the top when it comes to comfort. They entirely cover your ears and don't grip too tightly, although they do grip a little, so perhaps don't quite rate as the best when it comes to that. Something like Sennheiser HD600's are more comfortable, but then they are in a different price bracket.
So! If you want a rich, warm sounding, comfortable pair of headphones, or perhaps you need a little bass boost, then these are well worth considering. Certainly good value for money and for the money they deserve five stars. There are better headphones around, but only if you are prepared to spend a lot more.
Oh, incidentally, the cable is 1.5m long, just in case that's important to you.

Six months later I am dropping their rating from a five to a one! Why? Because the ear-pads are £20 each and they keep falling apart. They last no more than three or four months and the are not guaranteed!
on 21 November 2014
I bought these headphones a little over a week ago. At first they didn't sound too great, but that's what I expected. These have a notoriously long burn in time. After having them play non-stop for 4 days, they finally got to a point where they were considered acceptable, but I let them play for another couple days. Now these sound way better than I could have hoped.

They are incredibly comfortable to wear for long periods of time and give an incredible listening experience. They are not quite as detailed as Audio Technica's ATH-M50's, but I prefer the warmly detailed sound that comes from these. The adjustable bass ports are not just a gimmick and have a real effect on the sound, although I wouldn't recommend having them all the way open or closed, as that sacrifices sound quality.

Construction is solid and built to last. Paired with easily replaceable parts, I don't foresee having to buy new headphones for years to come.

TL;DR: Give them at least 100 hours of burn in. Sound is amazing, great comfort. Will last for ever. I definitely recommend them
on 1 January 2015
Custom One Pro is truly a professional headphone. I simply love it. It's very versatile and provides an excellent music experience when you're listening to your favourite ones. The massive headphones perfectly seal so they keep any disturbing noise outside. What's even better is that you don't disturb your environment as virtually no sound escapes. I like the removable parts that really give you the freedom to customise your headphones to your individual needs. GO FOR IT!!! :)
on 6 August 2015
Received these headphones 2 days ago and I let them to burn in a few hours (not the full recommended 55h) and I'm already super impressed !!

I was seriously considering getting the beats Pro because I'm crazy about bass (90% of the music I listen to is club and minimalistic music which are bass heavy) but I'm glad that I didn't spend 3x more money on the Beats !!

I spent a few days trying out at shops all kinds of headphones from Sennheiser, Beats, Monster, JVC, Sony, etc and I favoured the Beats simply because of their monstrous bass. I could not find anywhere the Beyerdynamic to try out so it was a bit of a gamble for me to buy them but it sure was worth it!!

I'm not an audiophile and I cannot tell the difference between a £1,700 pair of headphones and a £70 quality ones. (believe me, I tried)

Again, if you are looking for headphones that offer, besides good overall sound, fantastic and Beats-crushing bass - look no further !!

They're also very sturdy and really comfy, they seem to last a very long time without breaking down.

I don't know what more can I say about these headphones, especially for this ridiculously low price. Definitely recommend 10/10
on 16 November 2012
I have had the Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro's for 3 months now and over that time, there has been a dramatic change in sound quality, so I am updating my review of these headphones and how I feel about them.

One of the main reasons I bought these headphones was for the build quality and that it had a detachable a 3.5mm audio jack cable, which means if something happens to the cable, then it is easy to replace. The build quality is also exceptionally and feel solid. The Custom On Pro's are designed to have interchangeable parts, such as head pad, ear pad, cover and ring, allowing the user to customise the looks of the headphones to their liking. Beyerdynamic are slowly introducing new parts for the headphones and will soon be introducing the COP's in different colours.

The advert for the Custom Pro One headphones show lots of street scenes, people riding bmx's, doing free running and break dancing, also DJing, partying etc, which sort of indicates that these headphones could be used, out and about. I went into London, listening to the headphones for most of the day. I tried them out on the train and tube, also walking around London's streets (including Oxford street). Unfortunately I can't recommend them for a portable headphone, they are too big and when I took them off and put them around my neck, it felt like I was wearing a neck brace. Because of the over ear design the pleather ear pads also get really warm hard to wear for long periods. Because of the design though are some positives, there is very little discernible sound leakage and the although they are passive noise isolating, they do isolate very well.

I also found that the headphones can become uncomfortable, under the ear around the jaw line. This seems to be due to the clamping pressure from the headphones

I was a bit disappointed with what you got in the box, just a instruction manual, 6.35mm jack adapter and a allen key to help with customisation. I would have through that including a cover free with the headphones to allow a bit of customisation, might have tempted owners to mess around with the headphones more but these things can be brought separately. Also a case would have been nice (similar to that of the V modas). In fact over the last few months I have customised them. I changed the ear pads to a velour set, which you would normally get with the DT770. These are much more comfortable and I have found that whilst warm, there isn't nearly as much heat build up as the pleather pads, that you get with COP's. I have also swapped over the cable to one of the V-Moda cables, that I got with the M-80. The sound is definitely louder and although I might be mistaken, the mids seem to be less recessed.

When I first started listening to the headphone, the sound quality wasn't what I had hoped for. The bass was ok but the mids and highs felt very recessed and a bit dead. After a few of hours though the headphones do slowly start to come to life. It takes a very long burn in before I would say that these headphones really start to sound very good, well over 100 hours and probably closer to 200. With time though the sound stage opens up dramatically the the mids finally come out, though they are still slightly recessed. After three months of listing, I would say the sound is very good, the sound isn't maybe as detailed as some other headphones but you do get a warm pleasing tone, which isn't hard to listen to.

One of the big area with the Custom One Pro's is the adjustable bass. There are four settings, allowing for more or less bass. I would guess that most people will probably use the 2 middle settings, where the most open bass setting doesn't sound great, the bass starts to sounding a little distorted and muddy. The close setting takes away quite a bit of bass but if you are a bass head you probably won't like it.

I am not really an audiophile and these definitely are not audiophile headphone but with a very long burn in, the sound you get from them is very pleasing. If you want a home headphone with quite a bit of bass, then the COP's are well worth investing in. They are much better than most fashion headphones and if you think the sound is more important and are prepared to deal with the size problems than the look I would recommend these headphone. If you just want to use these headphones at home I would give the COP's 5 stars, but if you want to travel around, then I have to knock off at least a star.
on 9 April 2015
ok...
these headphones are brilliant - the bass is great and you can change how much bass you want!!!
The custom part is an annoyance due to you having to go online to buy certain designs to change your headphones, but they look great out of the box anyway. Previosly i used either cheap headphones or skull candy ones which just play music on two sides of your head, as for the more expencive headphones put you in a musical trance and i have heard things in songs that i didn't know were their when using my skull candy headphones. These are only 9/10 due to the sound leakage and they look massive on my 15 year old head but absolutly amazing and would recomend. On youtube people say that the sound out of the box is awefull and you have to use them alot before the sound gets good. I say the sounds amazing out of the box and if it gets better i cant wait!!!!!To end this review i would recommend looking on youtube at the reviews on there before buying.
on 19 February 2015
Good quality solid product. I purchased these mainly for use with my brand new Yamaha Clavinova CVP605PE digital keyboard. My feeling is the bass could be a bit louder but that is perhaps to do with the ohm rating of these headphones, as well as myself liking a lot of bass? They are good with MP3 / iphone etc for music in general, but you do need to use them to get used to them. Great build quality & certainly eliminate outside noise when they are in use. Very comfortable too as I certainly do not have the smallest of heads to be fair. I am sure there could be better out there but at the end of the day it really depends on how much money you wish to pay & for £120 these are pretty damn good. I tried a few before buying these & only AKG came close but were more expensive.
on 17 January 2015
If you're looking for headphones with bass, look no further. I've tried countless pairs but these are by far my favourite. Paired with a Fiio Kilimanjaro 2 amp these handle all the bass I can throw at it without distortion. 5*
on 11 August 2013
I ordered these to replace a pair of Sennheisers whose pads had worn badly
and started to crack and peel.
Having read the reviews on Amazon and done other research I opted for these headphones.
I expected exceptional performance from them but was disappointed to get a poorly balenced soundstage and a bass that was far too dominant on even the lowest setting.
I found them totally unsuited to the music I listen to - rock and acoustic.
They are also extremely uncomfortable to wear with a tight fit that pinched my earlobes.
I have sent them back to Amazon and ordered a trusty pair of Sennheisers instead.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...