on 30 August 2012
I purchased four of these lights for my garden and after initially being surprised how small they are I installed them (just two screws with rawl plugs) and I've been very happy since. They emit a nice soft glow after dark and brighten up nicely when I or my dogs pass near them. They're exactly what I wanted - no maintenance, no wiring, no costs after purchase, twilight soft glo and light up brightly when somebody approaches. I have had them for just over a month now and have no complaints whatsoever.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2014
Bought 5 of these and fitted them on a wall next to a flight of steps outside 1906 house. very good looking in spite of age difference
review image
on 23 October 2012
got this curve solar motion light from THE SOLAR CENTRE and received it within 4 days of ordering. The instructions very very good easy to set up.Its not going to light up all your garden but then its not supposed to. I use it on the outside of my garden hut which is also near to my recycling bins and it gives of just enought light to make the job a lot easier.
on 9 December 2013
I personally have to disagree with some of the comments below mine. A lot of people have complained that the product was a lot smaller than shown in the picture - guys, please read the product description before you buy, it states the exact dimensions in centimetres! Now for the actual review, as of two days of owning the product:

Quite frankly, I love this little thing! One thing was for certain, I did not expect it to be so bright in any way as it's LED. It has 16 LED bulbs arranged in a 4x4 grid which really packs a punch. One light is able to light up 3/4 of my door as well as the ground when placed to a side of it, as well as being 2 meters high - pretty impressive if you ask me (especially considering its solar, LED and wire free... I might get another one!). It's got a very curvy and modern design which looks great, and the light itself has a colour temperature of daylight white (i.e. not a yellow light but a pure white light). I've currently set a single one of these lights up using some stiff cable ties to test if it's able to charge up properly where I've placed it at the moment at my front door (before I drill in a place it potentially may never charge!). Unfortunately, the manual does state to avoid shade (as you'd imagine) but my doorstep is always in the shade... so we'll see how it goes. I will update this review after a few weeks to let you all know just how sensitive this solar panel really is!

The dim mode on the light has been said to waste the solar charge - yes it's a waste to leave the light on all the time but it does look very pleasing and professional in my eyes! I mean I'm yet to experience this "wastage", but from my knowledge I wouldn't think it causes a huge amount of power drain since LED's hardly use electricity to begin with. As I've said though, I will update this review in a few weeks time (along with some pros and cons) to let you all know how it's doing. The motion sensor works nicely - the light changes from dim mode to full brightness when movement is detected in about the range of 2 meters I would say, which is handy when searching for your keys in the dark! After about 30 seconds, the light then goes back into dim mode; emitting a lovely soft glow.

This is my first experience with a solar light and for the price and convenience, I can safely say that I'm very impressed. Yes people argue that solar + dim mode is not a very clever combination but you cannot complain since you aren't paying for the sun! LED's hardly use power and have a hefty lifetime so I personally don't see this as an issue.

For now, if you have direct sunlight where you intend to place this, do not hesitate to purchase one! If the location does have some shade however, watch this space as I will let you all know how mine is doing.

Happy buying :)

UPDATE (13/12/13): I can now inform you all that the shady test location of the light has not worked. It is no longer charging and I am going to try moving it to somewhere with a little more light (but not direct sunlight) to see how it gets on.

On the positive side, the charge which it had when I received the product lasted a good 4 days or so (and I assume this is with hardly any charging during that period whatsoever). So I should think it's safe to say that once charged, it will last 4 days or so, in theory. Therefore... am I also right in thinking we're looking for decent light input every 4 days? Who knows, but I will update again after the re-location of the light occurs.

UPDATE (17/12/13): The light is unfortunately still refusing to keep any charge on these cloudy winter days here in the UK, despite not being in direct shade. It partially charged even on a cloudy day but only worked for a few hours before losing juice. I will keep at this and hope for a day of sunshine to see if that gives it the boost it needs to work.
on 9 May 2013
Easy instructions, easy to put up, good value for money, great little light & very bright. Perfect security light for front of house and to rear garden.
on 9 May 2013
very good service and product will shop again the light is great above the back door good lighton garden joe
on 23 October 2012
All I was after was a pir solar light that was easy to install that would give off enough light to light up the patio at the back of the house where no street lights can reach. I read up a on a few different lights and most had fairly disappointing reviews with poor quality and poor light being listed as the main concerns. I then came across several curve reviews and the reviews were all very positive coupled with the fact they were also very reasonably priced so I decided that they would be my best bet and ordered two. When they arrived I was a little dissapointed and shocked at how small they were so was very sceptical as to how much light they would actually give off. I installed them, which was very easy, only two holes required, and waited a day for them to charge. When darkness fell they both came on and gave off a pleasant dim glow and when activated by movement I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of light they gave off, plenty of light to be able to sit on the patio on a nice night. Overall, I am very happy with my two curves from a quality, value and practicality point of view, I would definitely recommend them.
on 6 February 2014
These little solar lamps are inexpensive and attractive, but ultimately pretty ineffective on average during the dark winter months. I have a couple of them, facing south to south-east where they are exposed to as much daylight as we ever get in mid-Norfolk in the winter months, and they give off light when they feel like it. When they are having a good day, they will light up at dusk and still be glowing at 5 am the next morning. However, on most winter days they don't illuminate at all, or at most for two or three hours in early evening. It will be interesting to see how the performance is in the summer, but to me the real relevance of such products is how they perform when you actually need to see, i.e. on dark evenings and in the night. By that test, these are not really worthwhile purchases. I suspect that in the Northern parts of the UK, where the winter days are even shorter, they would be even less attractive to have.

FOLLOW UP COMMENT : now that we're into late winter/early spring these lamps work better (they're obviously getting more daylight on average) but on dull days they are still temperamental. In addition, one of the two I have has decided to stay only on the lower illumination setting, and does not "brighten up" when it detects movement. It's still a useful low source of light for my garage door lock, but clearly it's not functioning correctly. These are still three-star items, no better than that.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2012
Using this to light up a side gate and passage so I can find my key. Compact, No loose cables to hide away as solar panel is built in. Just the right level of movement sensitivity so not too many triggers till you get closer to it. Brighter than I expected. Will be getting more for outside sheds.
on 28 April 2013
it stays on all night with a dim light. when motion is detected it lights up. very good security light