Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Size: Apple iPhone 5/5sColour: BlackChange

on 29 September 2014
This arrived ahead of my iPhone 6+ and I wanted a strong case after recent reports of bendy iPhones etc.

It is a strong case. The rim at the front sticks out above the screen to offer protection there, but not uncomfortably.
It is a fairly stiff case. Pretty good coverage at the bottom too, where the ports are (something I often find missing on other cases). The buttons work well and it looks smart. I find it doesn't add too much bulk to the phone either.
on 17 October 2012
This is the second case I've bought for the iPhone 5 following my recent purchase of the Snugg iPhone 5 Case / The New iPhone Case - Snugg Squared_ Skinny Fit Protective Case Cover- Superior Quality, Non Slip Material, High Protective, Lightweight Case - Lifetime Guarantee (Black) - for Apple iPhone 5/The New iPhone - From Snugg, The Creato..., which I found to be a very poor product.

The Case Mate comes in two parts, the first is a rubber bumper that fits snugly (no pun intended) around the edges of the phone. There are protective 'bumps' for the power button at the top of the phone and the volume controls, and you don't require any extra force to operate those buttons with the bumper on. There are openings for the silent switch, audio jack and lightening power cable, and an opening on the rear of the case for the camera. Once you've put the bumper on, the phone+bumper slot neatly into a hard protective case, which provides solid protection to the rear and the sides of the phone. The case+bumper combo means that there is a small raised ridge around the front of the phone, which will come in handy in protecting the screen when placed face-down on a surface. It takes less than two minutes to take the case out of the box and set up on your phone.

I disagree with the reviewer who has said this case adds too much bulk and weight to the phone - most decent cases will add some bulk and a little weight. In this instance, I would say the bulk/weight issue is minimal and are far out-weighed by the protection the case offers. We're talking a few grams of extra weight and an extra couple of mm of "bulk". As for the argument the case is slippery, well it's not as slippery as the phone on its own. I have also combined my case with a front and rear screen protector that I purchased from a well-known online auction site.

The Case Mate is more about function rather than aesthetics, so yes the look/feel of the phone are hidden; but for me, a case is about providing an adequate level of protection to my phone - I'm not an owner who sits drooling over the aesthetics of a piece of brushed aluminium. An iPhone is an expensive outlay and I want to keep my phone in good working order. So I narrowed my choice to this Case Mate and the OtterBox Commuter Case for iPhone 5 -Black and in the end I went for the Case Mate because I have previously owned an Otterbox and just found it too bulky for everyday use.

Overall, a good case for everyday use. If you're using your phone in a more demanding environment (outdoors, building site, etc), then this case isn't probably the correct one for you.
on 3 October 2014
Great protective case, very thin despite the two layers. Ii gives much more protection around buttons, speaker and charger area than the apple cases but still sllows for a little oversized charger such as the Belkin cable I am using
on 30 July 2013
Brilliant - probably the best case on the market - and I know cos I've had a few!! Comes in two parts, a rubber bumper, which then slots firmly into the rigid case. Fits like a dream, and my iphone is now cosy and protected from damage!! The only slight downside is that converters from 30 pin to lightening tend to not fit into the gap, so you need to remove the case for charging on anything but a lightening lead. Highly recommended
on 20 September 2014
First impressions were very good with the nice packaging the case arrived in. The case has very nice solid corners to protector your phone from any drops but the great thing about this case is it doesn't add any extra bulk to the phone. It's thin with a nice tough and feel that doesnt allow the phone to slip out of your hand easily. Overall I'm really pleased with it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2014
A nice sturdy case composing of two parts - a soft 'inner' bumper that surrounds the phone and a hard protective outer shell.

As a device designed purely to protect the phone (it arguably does not add anything aesthetically unless you prefer the utilitarian look) you would expect it to be up to the task. Fortunately, this case is very rigid - even without the phone inside, you can squeeze this case across its portrait dimensions with very little flex. In terms of pure strength, this should offer more protection than a standard, similarly priced silicone case.

I got this for my 5s and it fits perfectly as it should do - the iPhone 5 and 5s have the same external dimensions. This at the time of purchase wasn't made particularly clear but iPhone 5s owners can buy with confidence.

This case still provides clear access to all the relevant speakers/ports/sockets and buttons. My only criticism here is the fact that the fact that the enclosed power button does make it considerably harder to press, a trait not shared by the enclosed volume buttons (where perhaps the material is a little thinner).

Another slight negative is the fact that the phone is not easy to remove from the case once it's all in place. Fortunately, I don't plan to remove the case too often but its something to consider if you have a docking station which is unaccommodating of cased phones. To remove it, you will find you have to bend the edges a little which over time may make for a loose fitment.

All in all, I think for the current £9.95 asking price this case is well worth the money .
on 8 July 2014
Having previously used Case-Mate tough cases for a Galaxy S2 and S3 and being happy with them I bought one for my 5C - and I'm glad that I did. Second day of owning the phone it slipped out of my pocket when getting out of the car landing face down on the tarmac pavement. Not a single crack, scratch or dint anywhere on the phone or the case.

The case is really quite slim and doesn't add much bulk to the phone - I actually prefer the textured finish to the back of the case compared to the gloss finish of the iPhone.
on 19 November 2015
Had this for a couple of months. Great case, so far! For the following reasons:
- I've accidentally dropped my phone a couple of times onto hard surfaces (bathroom tiles and concrete), and each time the phone has been completely fine. No breaks or scratches. That's the whole reason I bought this case, so I'm pretty happy. I think that the double case design helps to absorb some of the shock as it hits the ground, so I do feel that my phone is well protected.
- The case isn't too bulky, so it fits easily into my coat pocket / bag
- It looks pretty smart (the black case goes well with the black iPhone)
- The charging port and buttons are easily accessible

A couple of things to mention:
- The lock button is covered by the case and it can be quite stiff at first. You'll find that you have to push down quite hard to lock your phone. However, after a few weeks use, this loosens up and seems to be working fine now.
- You'll find that dirt will get trapped into some of the edges of the case. It's not a massive issue, just general dirt from being in pockets/bags. I've just taken my phone out of the case a couple of times to give it a wipe.
on 28 July 2013
I was looking for a shell to protect the iPhone 5 as much as possible but be as small and as unobtrusive as possible.
Essentially a conflicting set of priorities.
After trying many many cases this is clearly the best and the best thought out. Not to mention it is very good looking:

1. Two part design. Inner part protects the phone from impact but is soft so also prevents scratches when fitting the main case.
2. Slightly raised about the screen, very subtle but plenty enough to protect when its put upside down
3. Bottom with charge port fully protected, I don't like cases which are merely open to the two corners. However this can cause an issue with the apple old port to lightening adaptor
4. Looks very smart
5. Texture grippy for holding.
6. All sides well protected
7. Multiple colours are nice. I chose black.
8. Reasonable price compared to some

highly recommended!

on 13 March 2013
I previously purchased the equivalent of this case for my Samsung Galaxy and it's lasted me over 2 years and protected the Android just find despite some serious droppage.
That's why I opted for this case as it's as close as I could get for the iPhone equivalent. It is indeed very tough and certainly seems durable. I have already dropped the iPhone 5 a couple of times, but with this case on the phone does little more than bounce when it hits the floor.
It's slim, easy to grip and doesn't detract radically from the phone's appearance. My only criticism would be that it is really hard to remove due to it's rigidness, and the power button is pretty hard to press too, but for the protection it provides it's no major deal.

See one answered question