Format: DVDChange

on 26 June 2013
I love nothing more then getting hooked on a good tv series, but i didn't quite expect my obsession with Ripper Street to be so strong! I first saw the trailers around christmas and watched it each and every week, with my love of the different characters growing with every episode. Each character has their own story and unique hidden back story which gets revealed as the series continues. This added with each weeks different mystery leads for an addictive show, as you want to watch week by week as we discover more about the three lead characters.

Adam Rothenberg, Jerome Flynn and Matthew McFadyen (Jackson, Drake and Reid) are all brilliant, working well with each other to create a believable police unit, with great supporting characters such as Rose and Long Susan and adorable trainee policeman Hobbs!

I got given this DVD for my birthday and have already watched it through again twice, i literally can't get enough, the series improves each time you watch it as you pick up dialogue or notice things you had previously missed. Brilliant stories, amazing acting and spectacular settings, this really is one to buy. I have sat down to watch it with my mum as well, so it is one for all the ages, if you are a bit squeamish it might be best to close your eyes through some parts but don't let that put you off because the stories alone are just great.

I can't wait for the next series which is being filmed as i type, bring on more Ripper Street!
11 comment36 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 December 2013

The narrative is set in the late 19th century and the story begins with the tail-end of Jack the Ripper's terrifying reign of murder in the East End of London, however, the drama went on to examine multifaceted human motivations, to dissect the central characters and their lives beyond the police station. There is examination of what it means to be malevolent and/or human. The drama looked at the lives, and social ills of the people who lived in the area, and this was done through making the look and feel of the era in a really striking framework. For me the direction, writing and performance given, came together to make really interesting and finely tuned drama. It is really sad that the powers to be at the BBC could not/would not fight try to keep this very good show going, I am sure it would have sold well in North America and Australia. It seems to extremely poor judgement to cancel the show. I guess in its place will be another repeat set of programming, which seems to be the unfortunate mainstay of the BBC today - all rather sad really.

---------UPDATE----------------------UPDATE-----------

22/11/2014

Amazon have revived show, after it was cancelled by the BBC so prematurely - high praise to the fans for getting the show endorsed again. It will be shown exclusively on Amazon Prime.

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 February 2015
I'm kind of late to Ripper Street. I only found out about it's existence recently, three seasons in. I love the Victorian era though so started season 1 and it's one of the best tv series I have seen in years, years!

The premise follows H division, a squad of police in Whitechapel 1889 set six months after the infamous Jack the Ripper murders. The show I want to stress is not about Jack, the idea is to focus on the police who failed to catch him and their fear that he will come back though it soon expands into a variety of crimes, plots and murders.

The show is pretty gritty, they don't really hold back with prostitutes, diseases, underpaid worker strikes all playing large parts, the era is not romanticized looking at darker elements of the time. There are also some nice historical elements put in showing the development of technology with cameras, the building of the London Underground which really help cement the atmosphere along with the brilliant costumes, suits, hairstyles and sets. It's an excellent show.

The acting is superb by every one of the cast creating some tense and sometimes genuinely emotional moments. Ripper streets main characters are Detective Edmund Reid (Mattew Macfadyen) who heads H division teaming up with former military man Detective Sergeant Bennet Drake (Jerome Flynn) and former US army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenburg) to solve cases. Each character has distinct personality as well as backstory that slowly develops as the show progresses for the 8 one hour episode season.

Final thoughts, I loved Ripper Street and can't wait to find the time to watch season 2.The atmosphere is great, the era is wonderful, the cast and sets are striking. It just felt full of character.

Recommended.

+ Historical technology is fun.
+ Sets, costumes and atmosphere are superb.
+ Interesting characters, splendid acting.
+ Delves into the darker parts of Victorian life.
on 28 January 2013
This is just a review of the TV series so far, (after five episodes).
I love Ripper Street! It's a strange mix of thoroughly convincing Victorian dialog, slow and intriguing character development, excellent casting, acting and direction and the introduction, (as a previous reviewer noted) of `new technology' which gives the series an almost Steampunk feel without detracting from the impression that it is rooted in a very real and visceral world. I love the way that all the major characters are damaged in some way but hide their pain rather than wallowing in it.
That there is a token American in it is no surprise as the BBC rather patronisingly assumes Americans will only watch a British drama if there is one of their own in it.
I have no idea what the DVD sound and picture quality will be like of what extras will be included but, as this is a BBC production I would assume that they will all be up to par.
The only note of caution I would inject is that at £17 (or £17.99 for the Blu-ray) this is not cheap. Personally I am happy to wait until it drops by a few quid as it should do by the time I'm ready to re-watch it.
As the program has received good ratings and has also gained critical approval here's hoping for a second series.

Update - The BBC have just announced a second series of 8 stories for transmission in 2014. Hurrah!
22 comments23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2015
Modern morality tales in an authentic and gruesome Victorian setting with superb casting and acting, and very high production values.
The dialogue is a unique and quaint Anglo-Saxon, ranging from the pithy ("Get yer skinny prick out of 'ere!") to the sublime ("What god can reckon the weight of a man's heart" - whatever that means!) Inspector Reid's dialogue is the finest of all.
Reid is very much a Victorian version of Chief Supt. Foyle - quietly commanding, skilled at his job, and with superhuman moral integrity. He is nicely contrasted with the languidly amoral but forensically brilliant Capt. Jackson. Det. Sgt. Reid acts as an effective bridge between the two.
Most of the stories are truly excellent. Unreservedly recommended.
on 19 February 2013
Ever since the first episode aired, I've been hooked to this series!

The way each episode is written is gripping and the three main characters (The Inspector, Drake, and Jackson)
are so well developed and form an awesome trio.

Can't wait for the dvd to come out as I've been watching the episodes repeatedly on BBC Iplayer.
Fingers crossed for a second season too!
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2013
We are very pleased we bought the series and hope that there are many more seasons coming. The cases, characters, settings, costumes and scripts in the ones we have watched so far have been outstanding --- as has been the atmosphere and "ambiance" of the White Chapel area it portrays. With the horror of the unsolved Ripper murders hanging over them like an eerie cloud, the detective, his sergeant and unlikely "medical examiner" are all engaging characters. We are enjoying it very much! The mysteries are well plotted and the glimpses into life at the times are of interest. Ripping good entertainment!!
on 20 January 2013
I was really surprised to see no reviews beyond one raising a negative technical issue so I felt one was needed.
I admit I was unsure to start with- the music and style of the credits looked to me to be a rip-off of the wonderful Robert Downey Jnr/Jude Law Sherlock Holmes movies- but I stuck with it and am now a fan.
The characters are engaging, the settings atmospheric and the stories original and gripping. The cast is uniformly excellent and the production values high. I also found it gritty without being sordid or gratuitous.
OK, we are only three episodes in at time of writing, but let's welcome the resurgence of good, intelligent drama on British TV, which this undoubtedly is.
0Comment30 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2013
It's not often that I sit down to watch a drama on television, but the whole idea of this series caught my attention when I saw the trailers, and I wasn't disappointed.

This series will throw you into a complete, detailed world of Victorian East End squalor and poverty, its crime, and the men who fight it. It touches on the new technologies becoming available to the police (and the criminals) at the time, and on one officer, Inspector Edmund Reid, who understands that with these things even just a few months earlier, Jack the Ripper might very well have been caught sooner rather than not at all.

The Ripper hangs over every aspect of the series,especially when it comes to Reid's personal dark secret (which I won't reveal here). He's not the whole story though, not by a long chalk. There is a sweet understated romance between Sergeant Drake and prostitute "Miss Rose", and mystery surrounding the identities of Captain Jackson and Long Susan.

Give this series a try and you won't be disappointed. It certainly doesn't stint on the gore, but I think it's within the guidelines for the time it was broadcast. There are 8 more episodes to be broadcast next year, and I'm already looking forward to them.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2013
One of the best things on British TV in many years, infinitely superior to the first (ok) and second (silly) Sherlock Holmes movies if only for the superbly researched and handled dialogue. The highest possible praise to the scriptwriter for really doing something redolent of the speech patterns of the time, without falling into the cheeky cockney cliches of Hammer Film-style treatments of the Ripper theme. OK, so there's a misplaced American doctor, but international coproduction makes that inevitable - and much less obtrusive than the Irish dinosaur hunters imposed on "Primeval".

The best thing about Ripper Street is that it IS relentlessly distasteful and horrific, as street life of the period no doubt was. And the way modern technology makes an appearance in every episode - the moving picture, the mass-produced addictive drugs, the underground railway - is endlessly fascinating.

Matthew McFadyen's star turn is also suitably driven and tortured, an outstanding performance.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series and the DVD set.
0Comment32 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse