on 19 December 2012
I've used a previous Philips shaver for 5 years, it needed another set of heads so I decided to upgrade to a newer model with the "3D" shaving heads and jet clean system.

It gives a good, close shave (not as close as using a razor), doesn't cause much skin irritation, and the jet clean system works really well, leaving the razor fresh and providing a noticeably better shave. The pop-out beard trimmer is good enough for a quick tidy-up, but you'll need a dedicated one for intensive work.

This is a high spec shaver, but for comparison here's what you don't get on this model compared to the top of the range one (SensoTouch RQ1280cc):
- battery display, you just get a 3-bar indicator of charge status rather than the time remaining in minutes.
- No audible beep when put into travel lock mode.
- Only one program on the jet clean system, the full model has 3 different cleaning modes

The actual shave head technology is unchanged within each range regardless of the extra features, this was £100 less than the top model and I think it was a good trade-off.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2014
I had never used an electric razor for 25 years as the results at the time left me with a long lasting desire not to try them again. However, I am one of those guys that can't wet shave once every second day without looking like I have taken a file to my face. Recently, I had became really naffed off at looking like a bit of a hobo after 2.5 days. I was browsing through Amazon one night and read a few reviews on these Philips top of the range electric shavers and decided I would ask my other half for one as a Christmas present. The result is more than a step improvement over the dark days of electric razors. No trace of razor burn or face break out if I shave every day (I use shaving foam or gel whilst shaving). Excellent value for money on sale - approx £170. Pros: Great close shave. Cleans easily. Many shaves from 1 full charge. One second pass will take care of stubborn bits. Cons: Not a big one but as in previous reviews comes with a 2 pin plug - no 3 pin adapter (£3 for a good quality one. It's recommended that the heads are replaced after 1 year (i'll get back to you on that one).
If you have sensitive skin like me and want to have a clean shaven look every day then give it a go. I am usually very fussy but on this occasion, I am delighted with this product.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This shaver gives me the closest and most comfortable electric shave I've ever had. That's after many different Philips rotary as well as Braun and Remington foil shavers. It's also comfortable to hold, the notch in the back making it easy to grip, and very quiet - no need to turn the radio up while shaving.

Now for the negatives:

* Replacement heads are horribly expensive, at around £50 every year, if you follow the recommendation for annual replacement (the shaver itself nags you after a year).

* If you use the Jetclean system every day, it'll cost you £120 p.a. or more in cleaning fluid. The system does work but rinsing the heads in hot water is simple and just about as effective.

* Cannot charge it without the stand or Jetclean. There's no way of plugging the charging lead directly into the shaver - a pain when travelling. A full charge should be just about enough for a two-week holiday, but as time goes on the batteries will lose their capacity.

* Very annoyingly, the printed, wordless instructions are very rudimentary. If you want the full, written instructions (which I'd recommend), you'll have to download them. You'll probably want to print them too, for easy reference when using the shaver.

So, would I buy this again? Probably not. I'd go for a more conventional Philips shaver with heads that only cost around £30 to replace and ability to charge without a separate stand, e.g. PT870. I'd forget about Jetclean which seems to be designed more to provide Philips with a continuing revenue stream than keep your shaver clean. That would probably still leave me very irritated with the instructions but I'd just have to put up with that because I do like Philips shavers.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2012
I have used Philips most of my life apart from a short spell with a Braun. Philips are so much better with a fantastic battery life. I also feel that rotary cutters work much better. My old shaver was well past its best and I really had to get a replacement and needless to say it had to be a Philips again. A bevildering range of versions on the market and I have to say that the pricing structure is a bit strange to say the least. This version with the cleaner unit comes in cheaper than some stand alone units which is a bit strange but makes it a cracking buy on Amazon. I have to agree with the other reviews that this give you a very clean shave. A great buy!
on 25 December 2012
Have had Philips shavers for longer than I care to remember and needed to upgrade. Looked carefully at whats around, settled again on Philips and their 3D head system and reviewed each of the models. The top end model has some extra features but not worth the cost in my opinion, chose this model over lower prices options, and when I went to order it had dropped £50 since I marked it, so even better. Have now used for a few days and its the best electric shaver I have ever had (and I have always been pleased with past Philishavers). Very close shave, easy to use, excellent value and with the cleaning bath in the price even better. My last shaver showed how many minutes was left, this one shows bars of charge left but thats really not a problem to live with at all. Neither is the one speed clean system compared to the 3 speed top end model. Excellent value and highly recommended.
on 1 January 2014
Well made shaver nice grip and easy to hold . Took me a couple of goes to get used to it but once I did have to say it does give a very smooth close shave . The skin feels nice after using and there is no rash with me . The charging stand seems fin, I have no problems sitting the shaver in it . The trimmer is effective could possibly be a little bit bigger but no difficulty really . So far I have mostly cleaned it under warm running water which is easy and effective . I have used the jet wash once seemed fine , but here will admit jury is out on if it is worth the price to keep getting the fluid .

I actually bought this as it was better value than the one without this jet system so I will use it again probably about once a month . Again it charges as it jet washes . The charge is quick done in under the hour and lasts for ages . So yes very pleased over all , price was high I shopped round got it on Amazon , I'd suggest if you decide to buy it look round at all the places selling it , but yes a good buy .
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2014
I have been using a braun double foil razor with the clean/charge/renew system for a couple of years now and i have never been that happy with the cut as i had to go over each section 2/3 times and even then it missed a lot.
This RQ1251 arrived this morning. Just had my first shave with it....was expecting a bit of irritation on first use due to the lift&cut as opposed to my braun. Wonderfully pleased. Really close shave and no irritation. Didn't really need to keep going over each section either. The first pass was pretty much enough. It was a little awkward around the top lip/nose area but once I'd angled it right I got all the hair.
The cleaning system was easy to set up and is quite futuristic with the pod rising and falling with your razor in it.
For £150 I am really, really pleased. I wouldnt have paid the full £300 RRP though.
It is the best electric shaver I have ever used and am happy to recommend to others.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2013
Purchased this shaver having owned various much cheaper electric shavers in the past with limited success.
Previous ones I found did not provide a good close shave and frankly ended up giving up with them and reverting to a razor.

I find using a razor a pain, and having sensitive skin find it painful shaving every day so thought I would research the latest electric options again.

I was rather sceptical about how good this shaver could be at £200 + versus a £40-50 model. I asked can it really be so much better ? At the end of the day it has blades that rotate like the cheaper models. However as I had already had cheaper models in the past without success, and having read other reviews on Amazon, I thought I would take the gamble and go for it.

The result:
Well I am happy with it, it does shave better and closer than previous shavers I have used. I think that must be down the the flexibility and movement of the head units that allow the blades to get closer on angles and contours of your face.
Have been using it for a month now. The battery seems to be good and strong and being Li-ion rather than the older Ni-Cad should fare better hopefully with charging/usage.

It is not as good as the best wet shave razors in the market, but it is good enough and I can shave with it every day without issue to my sensitive skin. I shave with it dry and haven't tried with foam etc so cant comment on that part of it.

The Jet clean I think is probably a bit of a gimmick as you can easily clean the heads manually, but it does clean the shaving head so does what it says on the tin.

Why 4 stars and not 5 ? Simply because of the price. It is very expensive and loses a start because of that for me. It should really be closer to £120 mark.
on 20 June 2014
There is no point writing a review on this if you are going to compare it with a £50 hair ripper. I am going to compare this with the Braun 790 since I have owned both..

I started off with the Braun, which I was really happy with. So how did I end up forking out money for yet another expensive shaver. Well, I belong to a group of people whose beard grows more tight to the skin than away from it. So I was getting a bit fed up with the Braun missing some hair. The problem persisted despite replacing my cutting foil with a new one. So when I read about the "lift and cut" from the Philips Senso Touch I felt that was exactly what I needed. I was wrong. I did not see much lifting and the cutting was rather old fashioned.

There are many differences between the two shavers. In summary, the Braun feels more sturdy, compact and of better build. I also prefer the simple layout of the cutting surface of the Braun to the octopus like layout of the Philips. The biggest difference between the two comes in the sensation you get on your skin when you are shaving. With the Philips you get the tingling sensation which is caused by your hair being pulled. This is something that is almost completely, if not absolutely completely, eliminated in the Braun. In this respect, the Philips behaves like a traditional or old-fashioned electric shaver, which is a big disappointment.

And because your hair has been pulled, you experience the usual fire under your chin starting the afternoon after the shaving. We all know what follows - bumps. To be fair to the the Philips the bumps were much less than I had experienced in traditional electric shavers.

There are areas where the Philips perform better than the Braun but these are not enough to make up for the shortcomings in cutting. The cleaning action is quieter and less elaborate in the Philips. Whether this is good or bad I can't tell. The one area where the Philips completely beats the Braun is its trimmer. It's sharp, crisp and you can see exactly the difference between the cut and the not cut, something that I struggled with in the Braun. In fact I found the trimmer in the Braun to be very close to useless.

In summary. if your hair is not so sensitive to being slightly pulled, and you consider a good trimmer to be important grooming accessory. then the Philips may just be the one for you. But if you are prone to coming up in a bumpy rash and you don't mind a useless trimmer, then go for the Braun.
on 11 February 2014
Right, this RQ1251 was obtained at a Christmas daily deal back in December 2014 for a good price, £125. This was my first rotoelectric shaver, and might have been my last.
I sent this back for 3 reasons:
1. It didnt shave me as well as I believed it would have, Im usually a blade user [Mach 3 turbo, fusion pro glide power], and had to finish the job with one of these most of the time.
I even tried different sized hair, I waited a few days, tried it next day, it still left chunks of hair all over.
The good thing was the straight cutter, but i think i ended up using that most of the time rather than using the gyroflex 3D head!
2. It cut my neck a few times, and my chin. Now i do have the strong manly jaw line with well chiseled features, but this thing just managed to get skin in between its blades as well as hair. Make this point 1. This thing was not meant to cut me.
3. the head is too big to rotate easily on my face. I was ending up arms all about trying to get this thing to cut.

I didnt even use the cleaning system solution for the 3-4 times i tried this, I just ran it under water and opened it up and sprayed water, and that did the job well.

The carry case: this was useless. Theres no point providing us with a triangular carry case which can only fit the razor and nothing else. I mean, the charging stand with charging wire, thats a rather basic necessicity for a longer than 4 day trip. Id guess id need to carry that separately.

The noise: this was actually a good point. The razor created a high pitched sound, it was all sharp metal spinning. Which cut me.

I think im going to try a foil razor next, but in the mean time, back to my gently humming gilette pro glide power.