on 23 November 2012
Have been using razor blades for the past 40 years and was constrained to change over to electric shaver due to my medical condition - must admit I was initially very upset that I had to start my day to day chores sporting a 'half-finished' shaved face...how mistaken I was!!

Until a month ago I had no idea that wet electric shavers even existed and my only regret is that I did not get hold of one earlier. It took me two to three shaves to be able to master the trimmer otherwise it has been plain sailing from day 1...the HQ8 heads are powerful, super effective and soothing, especially when applying shaving gel.

Cleaning, dismantling and installing back the head/blades section is so simple that I hardly utilize the JET CLEAN unit although I would recommend having one.

Oh yes..supplementing the shipment with a standard protective (travelling)pouch and a power adapter would make things even better.
on 5 December 2012
The Shaver appears to work ok, better than I expected as I have always used a blade. BUT, the charger unit is huge, dangerous as the liquid can easily spill and also its noisy. The Instructions are next to useless! This is the main reason why I rated it so low ...there are none! Only a very small booklet with pictures. I`m an engineer so you would think it would be easy to use a shaver. I couldn't even get it to charge.

If you buy one be warned, you must make sure you push the shaver down and then backwards into the rear of charger unit and then used the locking mechanism to hold it in place. It`s easy to use the lock mechanism when the shaver is too far forward and in this position it will not charge and the Jet clean will not work. I think this is a stupid design fault that Philips should not have made.

In conclusion, don`t bother to buy it. Buy another make or buy the cheaper Philips without the Jet Clean/Charge base unit.
99 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2013
Although it can take a long time, you can get a very close shave, as near as a wet shave as I've ever had. It's a sub £100 razor and I've paid £200+ for shavers before and they did not give as good results.
I also use it to shave my head, a friend with a similar "hairstyle" to mine had several small cuts and scratches plus a shaving rash on his head has now bought one of these, he couldn't believe I hadn't shaved with a wet shave. I find it great to use wet or dry, though you can get a few hairs missed under the chin / neck though.
Pros. Very close shave. Cleaning cycle is very quick.
Cons. No travel case, though the cheaper non cleaning model which is exactly the shaver without cleaning is supplied with the case. Shame on you Philips.
on 13 May 2015
I have used Philips shavers ever since the 60's but this one was poorly designed allowing the heads to become damaged to easily. In fact the whole top cartridge just flew off. Phillips ignored my complaint. Also the wet and dry does not work for me. It does not rinse out just clogs up. My advice would be to stay away from these models unless you are careful and do not use the wet and dry.
Having said that I did replace it with a later model that appears to have been slightly modified but would not use the wet feature.
on 30 May 2015
I've owned this shaver for a couple of years now and I only came to write this as I was getting a bit disgruntled with it and was looking for a replacement. Then I tried it as a wet shaver. WHAT a difference. Dry shaving is ok with it, but I found it missed areas or I had to run it over my face over and over, making it red. I had used it wet once, but without any foam and thought it was a gimmick.

As a last chance, I used it wet "properly" that is, I bought some shaving gel (regular dove stuff) and it made an incredible difference. Much quicker than using it dry, even allowing for the rinsing and mucking about with water as it's way more effective and requires much fewer circulations to get a better result.

I only mark it down as it's a bit disappointing as a dry shaver and the mahoosive charging/cleaning unit is a bit cumbersome (the wife insists I hide it away in a cupboard!). You can't take that on holiday with you, although it does hold charge for well over a week. Also the philips cleaning fluid is quite expensive, prone to spillage in the charging unit and doesn't last very long before it needs changing or topping up (the unit won't clean if it falls below the level which seems quite high). However usually just popping it open and rinsing it under the tap does the job.

I used to have the Philips shaver which secreted a balm, as I tend to get a shaver burn quite easily, but they stopped making that model and this was the closest I could find. Works much better wet, with gel and no more shaver burn/rash!
on 21 January 2013
This will probably be my most favorite shaver ever. It gives a close shave and should be economical to run in the long term.

That said, I feel embarrased to have bought the shaver with the 'Jet Clean' unit. The words 'Jet Clean' conjure up an image in my mind of something sophistated with maybe some sort of active cleaning mechanism. The only extra functionality that you get is a little elevator - you press the button, the shaver goes down into the cleaning liquid, press it again, it comes up. And that's it. You press the other button while its under to start the shaving head running for 8 minutes. I can do that just as well in a few seconds, holding some water in my hand, followed by opening it up for a quick rinse.

Either the term 'Jet Clean' is totally misleading, or Philips are marketing a shaver to kids too young to have facial hair.
on 17 December 2013
I purchased this for my partner
He has not been disappointed he has been using it for a few weeks now,
The quality of the product is good and sturdy
It keeps it charge very well,
I am pleased with my purchase he is pleased with his gift
on 29 October 2013
Speedy delivery. Well packaged. Product excellent as usual from Philips. Husband loves this product. Works beautifully. Gives a really close shave. Has been using for weeks now and still doesn't need a charge. Wow.
on 28 May 2013
Very good shaver, not too sure about washing under water, but gives an an exellent finish, and I blow the residue out
on 13 March 2013
I have only just used this razor, and it is fantastic. Straight out of the box you get a 2 pin bathroom charger, a cleaning brush, 2 years guarantee, the shaver itself, the Jet Clean system, and the solution to use in conjunction with the Jet Clean. The only problem I would have is that you do not get a 3 pin power adapter to charge the shaver, and if you do not have a 2 pin bathroom plug, like me, you may want to make sure you already have one, or just order one off Amazon if you don't.

I have just finished having a dry shave with this product and it had no problem getting through the hair, and I have had as clean a shave as ever with it. You are supposed to run hot water through the shaver once you are finished, in order to keep it clean, and as it is waterproof, it is pretty straight forward. For my first time using an electric shaver, it has been brilliant, it just cuts straight through the hairs, and you can use it anywhere, much easier than a manual, wet shave.

As this is the AquaTouch version of the shaver, you can also use it as a wet shave, however as I have not done this yet I cannot comment. The razor has a port in the bottom to charge, and a green light will appear when fully charged to let you know it has finished. Another good feature is that of the pop-up trimmer on the side, you just flick a switch and turn it on and it is good to go, a nice added feature to include.

I have not used the Jet Clean system yet, but it looks easy enough to use, and uses an elevator function to go down to the cleaning unit. This is a bit of a gimmick, but nice to see anyway. The Cleaner can charge through a port on the side, and shows when the lotion is getting low on a display. This may be a bit of a gimmick overall, but it cleans your razor fine, although the same result could probably be done by hand.

Overall as a first time buyer I am very pleased, it works perfectly and is a lot less hassle than a manual razor. I would recommend to anyone that is frustrated with manual razors, and wants to be able to shave anywhere. Highly recommended.

See one answered question