on 29 November 2012
This is my first review on Amazon (or anywhere, for that matter!) So here goes.....This little 'pocket sized' shaver is absolutely fantastic! I bought it for my eldest son, who is disabled. He has never been able to give himself a wet shave, so I've been doing it for him since he was 16 (he's now 20) For the last year this has really annoyed him as he wanted more independence to do things himself. I was scared to let him try wet shaving, for obvious reasons, so I started to think about getting him an electric shaver. Everyone I spoke to said not to bother because he would not get a close shave.
So, anyway, I thought I'd buy a cheap one first to test it out and to see whether he could actually manage.
Well, to say that I have been converted is an understatement! He has been shaving himself for a week now (which he loves!) It is so easy for him to use and the closeness of the shave is as good as I ever got with a wet shave!......Needless to say, I'm sticking with this 'cheap one' It really does the job well.
On asking my Dan what he thought of his shaver, his reply was to give it two thumbs up.......must be good then!!!
11 comment154 of 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2012
this is my first dry shave machine which surprisingly is quite good, very close shaved, convenience and easy to pack during the weekend away or a couple weeks abroad, highly recommended!!!
on 8 October 2012
For those who expect results but do not require grandeur, this is the shaving machine. Smooth running, little noise, close shave, no bruises, no hassles. You can take it anywhere and always look your best, even at home - I've been using nothing but Philips travel shavers for the past 15 years, and all I can say is that they keep getting better.
0Comment56 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2012
I have been using a Phillips Coolskin shaver for about 3 years but one of the tubes that delivers the gel has broken. It still works from just one but I needed a replacement before it breaks completely. I saw the reviews on this Micro shaver and decided to give it a go. I am not over heavily bristled and this does the job as well as its three headed predecessor. I am not sure whether I will use disposable or rechargeable batteries yet as I will see how long they last. Also comes with a cover for the blades and a lovely little protective case and cleaning brush. This shaver is a lot sturdier than I anticipated. I have also purchased some pre shave gel to manually apply before use which is not much different to having it dispensed from the coolskin. Great quality shaver and amazing value, recommended.
0Comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2014
this is an impressive shaver! gives a fantastic shave and is small, sleek and portable. i wanted a shaver for upcoming hospital stays so had to be battery operated and be small. this fits the bill perfectly but the best bit is that it comes with a totally enclosing zip up cover! so when you've finished you can just zip it up and put it in your bag. great! quite simply battery shaving doesnt get any more convenient than this shaver!
on 12 November 2012
In the past I have had an earlier model of the razor maybe ten or twelve years and it was excellent, but then a couple of years ago I bought Remmington for some reason. A poor decision so needing a new small shaver I went back to the Philips and I am very pleased with it. Still using the batteries provided so I don't know how long rechargeables will last in the shaver, but the quality of the shave is very smooth and very comfortable. Very happy with my purchase and good value.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2014
Excellent value for money. Works well. The shaving heads are the 'close cut' type, and don't feature the lift-and-cut blades on the posher models. There's a lovely pouch supplied, but there's no room inside it for the cleaning brush. (Idea: leave a space for the cleaning brush inside the battery compartment.)
on 7 December 2012
Shaped shaver fits nicely in the hand and gives an excellent shave, comes with a handy travel case, all highly recommended.
on 16 June 2014
Good price well packaged and deliverd quickly. Complete with batteries so good to go.
Have to say my heart sank a little when I saw the size of it BUT then I thought about why I wanted a battery powered razor and I realise it'll fit in the pocket/small bag v nicely with no problems. No lead to worry about. and AA batteries are available everywhere.
Pay attention here's the science bit. I wanted rotary heads because.... I've had a dunno what you call it - a straight across foil (?) before and (this will probably sound mad but hey whadoicare) I reckon the cutting blades in the middle of the foil were out more than the blades at the ends, and there's no way to replace just the bit in the middle. However, with a rotary head the because the rotary blades are always revolving they wear more evenly.
It's just a thought.
All that aside the unit is v stylish.
Fits comfortable and snugly in the hand.
seems well made.
theres no 'pop-up' trimmer - what do you for the price. and beside it's not for my main shave every day, but jsut a top up dave before meetings etc. Having said that I have used it on a two day growth and it did admirably.
The astounding thing for me is that when you switch it on it's really quiet and I thought 'Were gonna need a bigger razor' but it was ggreat. No usual electric razor burn quietsmall enough to get in to the contours and close. You do have to cover the ground repeatedly on the tougher stuble but it did it.
How ling the batteries will last of hte blades will stay sharp I don't know. Ive only had it a couple of weeks . but I'm really impressed.
ACID TEST: would I buy iy again. DEFINITELY.
on 18 March 2014
I don’t get it. The electric shaver market seems to as rife with marketing BS as the wet shave one! The amount of jazz and fluff all designed to make dragging/spinning a sharp bit of metal over your face seem high-tech is astonishing. All adverts apparently penned by Jeremy Clarkson. POWEEEEEERRRRRRR!

I had this model of Philips shaver from about 2002 (albeit in a different colour) until summer last year when it finally became too blunt to use comfortably. 11 years is not bad! I had a bit of money and some gift vouchers, so I looked at the fancier models thinking it would be a better investment. Now I ask you something: What does a £160 shaver do that this £15 one can’t? Answer: nothing worth the £145 difference!

I had a £160 Remington since summer last year, and it’s already yanking the hairs out my face. They seem to be making their blades out of mashed potato instead of steel. There seems to be no way to replace the heads. That’s woeful. The three heads don’t really seem to speed things up over the two heads (it definitely isn’t 33% quicker), and I have to charge it up every 9 to 10 days. I couldn’t find the receipt/warranty so I’m unable to ask for a warranty replacement to sell on eBay. So I binned it.

I popped back to the shops to pick this Philips up (sorry Amazon, even your speedy delivery was too long in this case) and I’m so glad I did. I’d forgotten how good it is. It’s relatively quiet and its close shave is every bit as good as the fancy £160 Remington. OK it has AA batteries, but you know what? When they go flat it is seconds to change them. When the Remington shaver went flat, its 8 hours charge for 45 minutes shaving! One set of rechargeable AA batteries lasts me well over 2 months in this shaver (2000mAh ones). I also do not need a fancy LED battery display to tell when a battery is losing its charge. I can hear when it’s loosing charge.

So if you have posters on the walls in your bedroom, and are drawn to products that have Max, Power, Mega, Elite, Turbo, Super etc in the title, ask yourself if you are really happy with spending an extra £100+ for a battery display and maybe a side trimmer. Because that’s all your money is getting you. Mostly it seems you are paying for ‘ergonomics’, gimmicks, and the dashing male model in the advert and on the box.

This £15 shaver produces EXACTLY the same degree of shave, and I’ll be pleased it if lasts half as long as the last one of this type that I bought. It is the same size/type of spinning sharp thing that’s actually doing the job of the expensive ones. The only difference is the handle ergonomics and absence of trimmer. To wash it you just pop the top off and rinse under a tap. You can get a decent set of clippers for £25. That leaves £100+ to….I dunno….take the wife away for a weekend or something.