4.1 out of 5 stars1,303
Format: Blu-rayChange

on 26 February 2015
One way this film scores heavily is that it doesn't got overly bogged down in Superman's origin while still providing interesting background and motivation for his actions. It clearly draws less upon the original fun but simplistic comics and more on later meatier graphic novels. Superman may still stand for justice but in a world recognised to be riddled with injustice. Still not the most intellectually stimulating of movies, but arguably more than mere escapist entertainment.
on 10 December 2015
Thoroughly underrated movie. Zack Snyder gets a lot right here, especially with the pacing and tone of the movie. Some complained the movie was too serious. But I disagree. I loved the first Avengers movie, but in comparison with this it seems positively cartoonish! I think the tone of this movie is a good fit for Superman.
Being a Snyder movie it has fantastic visuals and great comic book scenes. One dream sequence shows a conversation between Zod and Superman, where Zod reveals his intentions for Earth and it ending with Superman sinking into a sea of human skulls. Great scene.
But also there is some very satisfying action, and let's face it, everyone wants to see Superman punching the crap outta things - this movie does not disappoint.

And
Before I start my review I would just like say this steelbook looks brilliant, and for a steelbook collector this would look great in your collection. Now for the film, this film is just awesome, I can not believe how good this film was, I have seen many films in my life including all the other superman films, but this film just blew me away, i just thought it was just wonderful and so gripping up to a point I think this is the best superman film, don't get me wrong I love all the other superman films but this just edges it for me.

Oh the 3D is ok, and the 3D depth looks quality but as per normal there is nothing popping of of your screen, but then again the picture quality and sound is truly amazing, and the 5.1 surround sound is up there with Saving Private Ryan.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2014
Brilliant,a bit of Gothic feel to the plot. Not the faintest inkling to green Kryptonite at all. Good overall movie
on 24 February 2015
It's a great film. Easily watchable more than once. Well worth the £4-£5 it sells for now it's been out a while
on 18 February 2015
Fantastic, I watched it with my Son of 13 and Daughter of 11 and could easily watch it again and I'm nearly 50!
on 3 September 2014
This version contains 2 blu ray discs and a dvd. The first blu ray and the dvd contain the movie and extras the second blu ray contains the film in maximum movie mode!! This basically means the film plays in the background while actors,crew or the director pop up during the film and talk about certain aspects of the movie that relate to that scene!!! It is full of really fascinating triva and behind the scenes info it also shows behind the scenes footage and a chat with Hans Zimmer...

I actually recommend the US version over the UK as you get this rather fantastic extra and it's on its own disc!!!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2015
Great film - And I bought this for a little over a quid from overstocks for my son - considering we burn is straight onto the iPad, it's fine that it's not in cellophane. Despite being "used" it was immaculate condition.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 January 2015
So I have to admit this film did something that films rarely do. It surprised me. Having never been a huge Superman fan (never read the comics) my expectations weren't all that high but Man of Steel modernizes Superman in a completely new way making Superman feel not only more grounded but also making him cool.

The story starts off with a fairly large sequence on Krypton showing the fall of the planet as well as setting up Superman coming to earth and his nemesis General Zod. The film actually then jumps to Kent as an adult finding his way through the world with flashbacks to his childhood showing how he became how he is today. I really liked this approach as it splits up the pace of the film more rather than having a slow heavy focus on him growing up at the start.

Although I rather liked the way the film is set up and the actual plot it does have quite a few plot holes if you look hard enough like Krypton knowing disaster was coming, having spaceships everywhere but saving nobody except Superman or being such a hugely advanced race yet having no back up copies of data etc. It doesn't ruin the film or anything but a few things I noticed.

The acting was actually very good, Henry Cavill was fantastic as Superman and his new suit really looked fantastic, both the material and design really brings him into the modern age. Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as General Zod were also excellent in their roles, especially Zod and his troops, they looked great and came off as pretty menacing.

The film is also full of over the top special effects and quite a lot of heavy action. In some films that really doesn't work but in Man of Steel I found many of the sequences really well done and exciting. The special effects are also as you would expect from a big budget blockbuster, superb.

The Blu-Ray extras largely consist of some making of featurettes, a Superman animated short. Perhaps not a great amount for those who love all the extra features but it had the sort of bits I enjoy.

To sum up, I regret having waited so long to watch this little gem. It looks fantastic, brings Superman into the modern age and is generally a well paced exciting superhero movie.

+ Reboot is fresh.
+ Supermans new costume is great, completely modern.
+ Special effects and action are exciting.
+ Loved General Zod.

- A few plot holes here and there.
on 9 February 2015
Good remake of the comic book films updated with a darker feel and great cgi sequences