7,143
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Size: 1TBStyle Name: Hard Drive OnlyChange
Price:£41.58+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 19 January 2013
This item arrived quickly and was well packaged (as would be expected from Amazon).

Pros:
Fast - I copied 320Gb onto this drive and then back onto a new Hard Drive in a matter of hours. It must be plugged into USB 3.0 to have this speed. If you do not have USB 3.0 then it will still work - it just won't be anywhere near as fast. You can get USB 3.0 upgrade PCI card (available separately for about £35).

No formatting required - the drive is formatted to NTFS by default (the type any modern Hard Drive should be using), this meant I was able to remove the drive from its packaging and start using it right away. You can format it when you open it or reformat to 'FAT' if you want - there is nothing to stop you, however this is not required and will suit casual users.

No power cable - all power needed to operate the drive is drawn through the USB cable (once plugged into you computer!) There is only one cable that comes with the external drive: the USB 3.0 cable.

No need for any other software - there is software on the drive - but it is not required for backups. It is just an added extra if you want to take advantage of it.

Cons:
Short cable - the cable is around 30cm in length. This is fine for me as I have a USB 3.0 at the rear of my computer and it sits within easy access, but I can see how it will be a pain for some users.

That was the only bad thing I can say about it. Fantastic bit of kit, well worth the pennies. You will not be disappointed.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have used quite a few external USB Hard Drives over the years but this is the first one that has used a micro-B USB 3.0 Cable. This has a regular USB Type A male connector at one end and a USB 3 micro-B male connector at the other which plugs into the M3. Don't confuse this with the Micro USB (2) connector used with most mobile phones as they are not the same. You can use the old style cable but it will be a lot slower.

It's not a big deal as a short(47cm/18in) USB 3 cable is supplied in the box with the drive. However, if like me, you tend to leave cables lying around and then forget where you left them, you may have a problem. They are not difficult to find and Amazon sell them just make sure you search for 'USB 3.0 Micro-B' (if you paste that into the Amazon search it will take you straight to them).

The drive itself looks fine, feels quite sturdy and mine did not make any noise or vibration. In fact, I had to look at the LED indicator on the back to be sure it was on. It is about the size of a smartphone but twice as thick. It comes with some Samsung software, the installation of which is optional for Windows users (Apple users may need to use the supplied NTFS driver).

If you are a Windows user and don't want to install the Samsung software (I didn't) then you will be up & running in seconds. All you have to do is plug one end into the drive and the other into your computer. The drive uses the computer to power it. Some computers cannot deliver enough power through the USB port to run the drive. In this situation, the manual recommends buying a 'Y' cable. Again Amazon sell these but make sure you get one with the USB 3.0 Micro Type B connector at one end.

Apple users may need to install the driver which is supplied on the drive as it is pre-formatted with the NTFS file system. I don't use any Apple computers but I believe some of them cannot write to NTFS partitions without using the driver.

As to the performance, it seems fairly quick. I copied 110GB of large files to it in about 40 min using the USB 3 port. This works out at about 2.75GB per minute. Copying the files back was about half as fast again.
According to Windows 7, the speeds were:
Computer to Drive : 58MB (megabytes) per second
Drive to Computer : 80MB (megabytes) per second

If you want to, you can use this drive with a regular USB 2 port instead if USB 3 but it will be a lot slower.

UPDATE 7 March 2015. I have now had this drive for over a year and it is still working perfectly so it is reliable too.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 November 2012
Great value for money drive. I use a Mac and reformatted it for Mac only use, having copied the supplied software to another drive first, so that I can use the software when I get a Mac capable of dual Mac/Windows boot. If you want to use this drive for Macs and PCs, I think the existing format will work as my mac certainly recognised the hard drive as supplied, reformatting into native Mac (Mac OS extended, journaled) will work better with a Mac, but is not usable on a PC (maybe Windows 8 will recognise a Mac formatted drive?). At the moment I am using it on a USB 2 port and it works fine, looking forward to a speed boost when I get a USB 3 machine

UPDATE for this drive
I recently bought a Macbook Air with USB 3 ports and I have been somewhat disappointed with the write speeds, other usb3 devices I have used have been lightning fast, but this drive seems no faster than it was on USB 2. I copied the whole of my iTunes library to it (about 96Gb) and it took a long time, not sure how long except that in the end I just left the MBA to get on with it and came back several hours later to find it was just finishing. I'll try and do some more objective tests and report back

Further Update December 2013
About 6 months ago the drive became intermittent, it appeared to be an issue with the USB3 connector on the drive, I contacted Amazon who sent me a replacement before I had to return the original, I was able to copy all the data off the first drive onto the replacement without losing any of it, I then returned the faulty unit to Amazon, excellent service. The new drive is very fast on USB3, I have seen sustained transfer rates of 80Mb/s, so the slow speed of the original must have been due to the faulty connector. I have it partitioned into 3 partitions one of which is for Time Machine, which works perfectly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 September 2014
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: Almost one year on... used every day. Still no complaints.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
964 of 1,030 people found the following review helpful
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 February 2014
Bought it November 2013, worked well the few times I used it as a second backup. I tried again in early Feb 2014 and the disk does not get recognised by my computer (or any other I have tried it on). I makes a noise as if it is trying to start, but after a few seconds goes quiet and does nothing. Be aware!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 March 2015
If you're looking for a decent external hard drive for your Xbox One then look no further! I bought this for that exact reason and it works perfectly, and setting it up is quick and simple. Now my Xbox One has a good 900+ gb free, enough room for even the biggest games i.e. Halo Master Chief Collection.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 May 2015
I liked that it does not need an extra power cable (data cable = power cable).
I liked the size.
I don't like that it died exactly 2 years after purchase. Especially since I only used it about 6 times in those 2 years (for backing up my laptop). Now the attached error pops up every time I try to connect it (to the very same laptop as all the 2 years)
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2015
As a data backup and storage device, this product is not reliable, for the third time in six months I have had to reformat the whole thing, resulting in major data loss.

As with other external hard disks I have had, I partitioned this hard drive into two, using NTFS (Windows) and OS X Journaled (Apple OS X) file system in each partition. This has always worked very well with other hard disks I have, the only problem being that I eventually ran out of free space so I thought this Samsung 2T disk would help.

Despite taking great care, such as never moving it when it was in use, making sure it had come to a complete stop before unplugging it, yet again I got problems recovering files stored on the hard drive. Worse still, I was able to move files to the Samsung without any problems, it was only when I wanted to get them back I discovered serious issues. I wanted to recover a 50 GB folder, after eight hours I got only half of them back and the copy process was stuck. Various diagnostic tools I have reported file system corruption that none of them could fix. Only a total reformat got the drive back working, minus my stored data.

I expect that cramming large storage capacities such as 2T into such a small device requires top quality components and flawless firmware which I don't believe this drive has, and I doubt any drive in this price range will have the required quality, so I'll be sticking to 500 GB - 750 GB drives in future. And I'll be avoiding Samsung drives.

This drive is destined for the dustbin.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...