Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

on 6 February 2013
My husband and I absolutely adored this programme as it's so very different to so much mundane rubbish on TV these days. The fact that you can settle down and thoroughly enjoy it for an hour without breaks lets the viewer be able to be enthralled without constant interruptions as are on ITV!

I love the emotions the writer puts into it, it covers the lot! A first class cast with Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi playing brilliant parts that the others seem to perfectly blend around. Congratulations BBC!!

To anyone who has not yet seen it, it's well worth the money and you'll truly enjoy the time spent. BTW, I always buy from Amazon as you can at least rely on them if anything is wrong with your purchase.
on 10 February 2013
First of all, let me just say, that I VERY RARELY write reviews on Amazon, however this absolute gem of a TV series is completely worth it.
The writing is so natural and character-driven that you become totally absorbed in the story and 60 minutes flies by.
Then it comes to the acting, which is collectively some of the best I have seen in years. Sarah Lancashire is the stand out, with equally bold performances from the convincing Nicola Walker and the lovely Anne Reid, who completely steals the show in the last two episodes. Derek Jacobi's beautifully subtle performance is also worthy of mention.
This really is a must-buy if you love British drama and I could not recommend it more!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2012
I stumbled upon "Last Tango In Halifax" on the BBC iPlayer after catching up on "The Hour" which was running concurrently. As the wonderful Derek Jacobi tends to be selective in his roles I gave it a go and was glad I did. This present-day drama demonstrates what a good script can become in the hands of an excellent cast on a finely-tuned production. Everyone is Internet-savvy enough these days to undestand that Alan Buttershaw (Derek Jacobi) and Celia Dawson (Anne Reid) meeting online might just be possible.

It is to Sally Wainwright's credit that the crafted situations required no overplaying to convey the powerful underlying emotions, nor the reactions being rendered unbelieveable by (even mild) overacting. A wry turn of the head left us understing what a character was thinking while at the other end of the scale, when Gillians Land Rover went up in flames it didn't explode and destroy everything within 100m yards - it didn't need to to say all that event did. And when a savage beating was bestowed upon Gillian's largely unlikeable, would-be-lover Paul (well-played by the way by Sacha Dhawan) I even cared about him just enough to know he was going to be all right. He may be one to watch next time round methinks, if only to continually upset Gillians' imbalanced world more and more during her struggles to get her life into perspective and up together.

Caroline as played by the ever-watchable Sarah Lancashire garnered my sympathy in dealing with her demons, including having her soppy husband John (great turn by Tony Gardner) and Kate (the un-nervingly attractive Nina Sosanya) unknowingly compete for her affections with the result of having to face up to her own needs as well as her mother. Their row over her sexual awakening matched my realistic expectations especially taking into account the gap between their generations. It was completely believeable for me and not melodramatically-impaired as some dramas have delivered previously. A good word for her kids who every bit as much as the rest of the cast weighed in with believeable performances devoid of exaggerated reactions, portraying victims looking for stability as their family slowly disintegrates.

There was an imbalance between the crowd-pleasing opening episode which gave unbridled joy at the swift developments of the aging lovers rediscovering each other, compared to those which followed as each extended family cast member came more into their detailed own. It dragged in a few places, with episode four particularly making me wonder where it was all headed, but while the penultimate episode delivered more than enough to leave me wondering if anything was left in the tank, I needn't have worried. The wrap had more than enough to make up for all that went before and I challenge anyone watching the last episode not to feel something for the central pair, even a tear in the corner of your eye. Either that or you're inhuman!

This is what it is - a well-told and entertaining story of the type I find are few and further between as the years go on. But as long as story threads remain controlled in number, and that concurrent threads don't get messily over-intertwined and complicated, then the promise should will bear fruit and "Last Tango In Halifax" should flourish into one where viewers eagerly await its return. As indeed I do now, with the proviso that messrs Reid and Jacobi remain on board and centre-stage to avoid extreme (dare I say it) and unnecessary soapish elements creeping in.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2012
Watched the whole series - superb. A classy cast, punchy script, stunning northern locations, tears and laughter. I cannot rate this series more highly in a world of mainly TV dross now this really stands out.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2013
I love the title of this new PBS series, quite different in tone than 'The Last Tango In Paris'. However, it is about love, sex, couples, children, anger and everything in-between.

This series is based on a true story of writer Sally Wainwright's recollection of her mother's second marriage. This series tells a story of a man and a woman who reconnect via Facebook. Each of them had a crush on the other, which was more like love, 50 odd years ago and they meet up. Alan, played by Derek Jacobi, lives with his daughter, Gillian played by the wonderfully expressive, Nicola Walker, and his grandson Raff. They live on a sheep farm out in the country.

Celia, played by Anne Reid was, unhappily married to a man who slept around. She, too lives with her daughter, Caroline, played by Sarah Lancashire, who is the Head of a public school near Yorkshire. They have money, and Caroline likes to think of herself as an upper class.

The first meetings of the families, is for Alan and Celia to tell them they are getting married. No sense in waiting after all this time. That is fine, but both daughters are going through difficult times with the men in their lives and their children. This will not be easy combining both families. A lot of drama and laughs surround both families, you know the kind of drama we all have.

Messes occur, people say uncouth things, they quarrel, they live, they laugh and cry. The difference here is that this wonderful group of actors bring Halifax alive. It is a series to remember.

Recommended. prisrob 08-25-13
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2012
Just watched the first episode on BBC and I love it. It's exactly how a comedy/drama should be. It's very well researched, written, observed, acted and directed. It doesn't hurt that it's set entirely on location in the gorgeous Yorkshire countryside, vilages and towns. I can't wait for more and will be buying the DVD when it is released later this year. Wish this could become a series it is that good. It's not weighed down with bad language, coarse sex and violence whch seems to be inherent in most of todays drama. This has its fair share of angst, warring relatives and siblings and at the heart of it are Celia and Alan blissfully sailing through the onsalught seemingly without a care in the world. Give it a go if you like well written British drama, this is one of the very best.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is an utterly engaging series with outstanding acting from the stellar ensemble cast. The narrative gives viewers a uniquely English take on two 'modern families' with their complicated relationships and is touchingly scripted even in some of the more sentimental sequences. Yes, one may quibble here and there about some of the sillier storylines but, unless you're a real grumpy-guts, Last Tango in Halifax cannot fail to charm!
on 6 February 2013
beautifully done..All characters were brilliant especially sarah lancashire, and her boys....Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi, what a brilliant combination of calamity lol x
on 22 December 2012
This series is bloody fantastic! My mother introduced me to this series, and I have to say she has good taste! The central characters are Alan and Celia, who are brilliant together and the acting is pure class. I have to say though, my favourite character is Caroline. I've always enjoyed Sarah Lancashire's work, but her sarcasm and delivery of lines in this series never fails to crack me up. I also enjoy seeing her more vulnerable side. Gillian also makes me smile, though she has gained quite a reputation by the end of the series. All in all, the writing is great and the actors are great, so it's a pleasure to watch.

I'm so pleased this has been recommissioned for a second series, and I very much look forward to rewatching this one on DVD. Good job all round I think!
on 3 August 2013
A well written story, and very well filmed. I would recommend it as adult viewing, as some of the content could be a bit much for younger viewers.