Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Despite the "for Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD" mentioned in the product description, this is just a generic small powered speaker, which connects to any device with a 3.5mm headphone jack - so that's pretty much every media player, phone or tablet out there.

First impressions of this product were good - it's fairly heavy, and feels well made and solid. The weight of it helps stop it bouncing around to the bassline if turned up loud, and if placed on a suitable surface (a table or similar), it seems the surface helps it to produce louder bass, too (naturally - if it's heavy enough to stay put, some of the vibrations will transfer to the surface it's on).

Sound quality is impressive, with decent volume from such a small unit. I think I'd have been more blown away by it if I didn't already have an X Mini capsule speaker (a similar item) to which I'd naturally compare it. However, if you haven't played with these kind of speakers yet, the sound level achievable from such a small unit is quite remarkable.

Compared to the X-Mini device, the maximum volume attainable without major distortion is similar, but this product seems slightly bass-heavy than the X-Mini (perhaps a little *too* much with some songs, in fact). As long as the player you're connecting it to has tone controls/equalizer, you can compensate for that happily. The previously-mentioned weight of this unit helps it produce some bass without bouncing around excessively; the lighter X-Mini unit can often be observed to bounce along the surface it's on, moving a little with each beat!

Two features I miss from the X-Mini device which are missing in this product are a volume control and a built-in audio lead. Whatever you connect this to will almost surely have a volume control to use, so it's not the end of the world, but I did find the X-Mini's simple volume wheel useful; it seems odd to exclude a cheap and easy to add control. The X-Mini also has a built-in short audio input cable which stows neatly in the base of the unit, so you needn't carry a separate cable unless you want more distance between the source device and the speaker (which can, admittedly, be handy). This product has only an audio input, with no built-in cable, so if you should forget to bring the cable with you, you can't just fall back to the built-in one.

Finally, the X-Mini device has a "buddy jack" feature, where you can "chain" multiple units together for increased output; whilst that feature is missing here, it's something I hardly ever actually used, so it's not too sorely missed.
review image review image review image
0Comment77 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2013
Sound improved the Kindle's tinny sound a lot. For music it is bassy and not enough top - the settings probably reflect dominant music tastes I suppose. The main prob. is that the jack is not long enough to go into the Kindle through the cover - you have to remove it. Apart from that - great for travel.
0Comment67 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2014
I spend a fair amount of time away from home and want something portable so I can listen to music or audiobooks while cooling my heels in a hotel. This fits the bill.

It's very small, but surprisingly capable. It's ideal for small quiet rooms such as hotel rooms, but would struggle outdoors or in a noisy environment. Audio fidelity is hardly high-end, but that's not the purpose here. It's perfectly serviceable and does the job.

The speaker does not have its own volume control; the volume is controlled by the source device, with the speaker amplifying whatever it receives. If the source signal is too high the sound will distort; the built-in amplifier is actually a bit too strong for the speaker. The ideal volume "sweet spot" will likely vary from source device to source device, so some experimentation will be called for.

The battery life is fine for me; the most I've ever used it for at any one time is 2 hours, and it still didn't need recharging. I don't know how well it would fare for longer use.

Finally, the colour is delightfully garish, so I'm unlikely to lose it among the myriad black devices which litter my life.
22 comments18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2013
Despite saying for use with a kindle fire it does not come with a suitable lead for it!!! what a complete let down and I have returned it immediately
11 comment69 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2013
This portable speaker is ideal for traveling or somewhere that there is no electric supply eg beach, garden. The charge lasts for over 5 hrs and the sound is better than you would expect from such a small speaker, and can be charged from your kindle wall/electric charger. One thing I would point out, do not try to open it as far as it shows on the instructions, the speaker only opens slightly. I bought this for my kindle fire and I'm very pleased with it.
0Comment35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2013
Doesn't work on the kindle and thats why I bought it. Seems to be ok on phone and TV but that is not why I purchased it.
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
Very pleased with this very neat mini speaker, which can be carried in a pocket. as one can see in the photo of the item iy can be opened or closed making it compact. Just what I wanted for use with my Kindle Fire, Great.
0Comment57 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2013
I've found this speaker to be temperamental and will suddenly stop working even when fully charged. Also have had to shut down and restart my Kindle Fire to get the speaker to work, sometimes I have to do it 2 or 3 times to get the speaker to work. I can't even get the speaker to work when I listen to the radio on my Kindle. I hadn't read any reviews about this happening, so wonder if others have the same experience. When it works, it's great, but it's too temperamental and not reliable. I'll try it for a bit longer but I'm not very optimistic.
0Comment66 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2013
Bought this speaker for my new Kindle Fire but unfortunately could not get it to work though it was fine with my son's mp3 player. Also the cables were far too short so have sent it back! In future I will read all the reviews before buying any accessories as this seems to be a common problem with this bit of kit.
Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hand on heart, I wasn't expected such great results from this powerful little speaker. I have in the past forked out nearly this much for a plastic light weight version (using the same bellows principle and the results were just OK.

The Marware UpSurge is in an altogether different class ... weighty, well designed, and with care should last years ... ideal for traveling, and here is my only negative comment ... for something so well designed for travel, why is there no case ... or even on-board cable storage ... even the plastic version had that.

Getting back to the positives ... the unit charged using a USB to mini USB lead in no time at all, and if you are boosting up the often flat performance of a laptop speaker set up ... you can charge and play at the same time. There is a claimed run time of 5 hours ... not fully tested to verify that, but I have used it twice for an hour or so and still going strong.

The sound is reasonably crisp and clear and if you put it on a hard surface like wood or glass you get a better base response. The volume was fine for me, and distortion free all the way up to the limit on my players.

I'm not sure why Marware are aiming their marketing for this unit specifically at the Kindle user ... it has worked perfectly with laptops, iPads, iPhones and other mp3 players.

Great for holidays and it would be churlish to dock a star for the lack of a case. Would love to see this as a stereo unit ... maybe fitting together with a magnet and including storage for the lead.
0Comment58 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse