4.5 out of 5 stars1,092
Size: 3TBPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on 1 January 2013
Western Digital 2TB 3.5inch SATA6 Internal Hard Drive - Red

The drive was received inside a box with loads of scrunched up brown paper inside another box. The drive itself was inside a sealed anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap.

The drive has been incorporated into an unRAID NAS after pre-clearing and exercising to ensure it has no errors. It is currently holding about a terabyte of data built from the parity drive after a 1 terabyte drive died on me and is currently being RMA'd to Western Digital.

OUT OF REGION WARRANTY

However, on registering this drive with Western Digital, it said it was "Out of Region". Their web site explains what this means but in essence it means it does not have a Western Digital warranty so you would have to send it back to Amazon for replacement. Now Amazon say they will only give it a 1 year warranty. So I have been conversing with both Western Digital and Amazon to try and get this sorted out. The product description does not say anything about a reduction in the length of warranty. If I buy a genuine Western Digital "RED" drive I expect to receive the "RED" warranty of 3 years. I am currently asking for recompense for the reduced warranty period or a replacement drive with a genuine Western Digital "RED" warranty of 3 years. Unfortunately, you cannot tell if the drive is "Out of Region" or not until you register the product.

I will update this review when I hear from Western Digital and Amazon.
1919 comments144 of 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2015
I purchased 2 drives for my Synology NAS. Items arrived in 3 days time (I don't have Prime subscription) nicely packed.
Before taking the plastic packaging off I have decided to confirm warranty from Western Digital (WD) website.
The WD website could recognise the drive with the serial number, but wouldn't let me register the drive as they are OEM. So, there is no warranty from the WD either.
In the product listing on the "standard" drive with is OEM, Amazon listed as 3 years warranty. I don't think Amazon will give any warranty from their side for more than one year. With this confusion, I have decided to return the drives.
So, if you bought one of the OEM or Standard drive, check out the warranty in the WD website. Else you might get a surprise if your drive stop working and no warranty.
I have given 3 stars as the drives might have been fine if I tried. But dropped 2 stars due to confusion in the listing about warranty.
review image
55 comments14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
Excellent packaging and prompt delivery!

Bought these to replace two failed Seagate drives ( won't be getting those again )

So far so good, installed in synology NAS without issue!

Update March 2014. All three are still working flawlessly in my NAS.
22 comments36 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Before install take a few .jpegs of HDD model no: and serial no:
Scan invoice.

Yeah register via WDs web portal, you'll get a message saying "Out of Region" and an warranty expiry 3yrs from registration date.

At this point use the portal to raise a WD "ticket" and simply explain the situation, include your .jpegs and copy of invoice.
If you can't add pics and invoice via WD portal,just wait till WD reply to the ticket you raised, and again explain along with your pics of model and serial no's: and copy of invoice.
WD will make the HDD valid in your region with the 3yr warranty we expected.

Also these HDDs are whisper quiet (anti vibration & intellipower 5400rpm - 5900rpm) compared to the 2 Hitachi Deskstars (7200rpm) that I was previously spinning....

Regards
22 comments31 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2014
This review focuses on the unit as advertised, not the actual performance of the HDD itself.

It arrived promptly and well packaged. The first thing I did was go onto the WD website to register it and input extended warranty code (this comes in a booklet with a scratch panel). This is where the problems started, as once the HDD serial number was input it was then reported as "NO LIMITED WARRANTY". According to the WD website this means the product was originally sold to a system manufacturer - i.e. Not a retail product!!!!

Amazon's response was to send a replacement which, when I tried to register it, gave the same status from WD.

I reported the situation with the second HDD to Amazon, and they said they would look into it - but here I am 4 weeks later none the wiser. WD have dragged their heels on this as well. I raised the issue directly with them when nothing was forthcoming from Amazon, and I've had to provide photographic evidence of the unit along with copies of the receipt as proof of purchase. They say they are chasing this up with Amazon, but meanwhile I'm left waiting to know if the HDD does actually have the extended warranty I specifically chose and paid for before I can use it - or indeed any warranty at all!!!!

Shameful service all around, and the cost of telephone calls to customer services has added a significant premium to the total cost of the product. I did read the reviews of others who had experienced similar, but naively though Amazon would have sorted this - clearly not.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2015
Ordered two of these, both drives came together in a box and each in their own protected box with plastic inserts fantastic...
Opened up and checked serial numbers with Western Digital which tell me that they both have a 3 year warranty.
WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
4 TB WD Red Hard Drive In Limited Warranty 5/8/2018

They are also Nasware 3.0
I bought the std drives on Amazon and have had email confirmation from Western Digital they are warranty protected for 3 years
Will report back later with how the install went and how the drives perform so watch this space....

Just an update: on one of the drives I have started to get bad sector counts which is a bit of a concern, so I have contacted WD and Amazon, no reply as yet from WD but Amazon have told me basically "not a problem, we have ordered you a new drive" but have to wait a few weeks for it then return the old one to them... great service...
New drive has arrived and been installed in the NAS so far so good no bad sectors and the old one returned to Amazon...
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2014
This review is specifically for the product shipped by Amazon (not third party supplier)

Product supplied is WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 which is a drive with no recognised Western Digital warranty.
Ironically the Express extended warranty which extends to 4 years, cannot be applied to the supplied drive as it is an OEM drive.

Therefore the product combination is an invalid one, you will have an extended warranty that you cannot use. The warranty is only one year of Amazon warranty, not 4 four years of WD warranty.

On the bonus side the drives I ordered came with a plastic holder in a drive box, which was in turn packaged in another box with scrunched up paper as further packaging protection. Not the jiffy bag and single layer of bubble wrap reported in some reviews. (that was a relief). But returned mine as I was wanting 4 years WD express warranty (24 hour service), not Amazon 1 year.
33 comments31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2013
I have these installed in a Synology DS214 Play NAS in RAID 1 configuration. They installed without issue and seem reasonably quiet in operation. Formatted capacity down at around 3.5TB though.

As the NAS and the drive are new I can't say whether the increased data transfer speed I've experienced is due to the NAS or the drives. For what it's worth, I get transfer speeds upto 105MB/s compared to up to 15MB/s with my old QNAP TS209 Pro and Samsung HD501LJ 500MB Hard disk combination.

The drives arrived in great condition - each in anti-static packaging with a western digital red sticker for you to proudly stick where you like. They were transported in a cardboard box and held securely in place with two moulded plastic 'ends' - no bubble wrap was used that some people complain about contravening manufacturer shipment guidelines.

In terms of load cycles, my NAS is switched on and off automatically twice a day - on for 1 hour in the morning and 6 hours at night. The SMART information so far shows 2000 load cycles in the two weeks that it has been in operation. The drives are rated at 600,000 so this would roughly mean that I can expect the drives to last about 10 years,
The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update: 27.10.2013

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.
11 comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2012
Firstly when you register online with WD you get a 3 Year Limited Warranty and access to Acronis True Image WD Edition.

You can also download WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows but I prefer HDD Guardian. It is much more advanced, has a number of burn-in tests you can run, and gives you icons in your status bar showing drive temperature and health.

I copied a few Gb across from my WD Green to my WD Red and after 10mins all drivers were reading 26c. I couldn't hear the drives during this operation so they're pretty quiet.

HD Tune's Benchmark shows the following:

WD Red: AVERAGE 109 Mb/sec (MIN 63.2, MAX 143.1), ACCESS TIME 20.4ms
WD Green: AVERAGE 92 Mb/sec (MIN 51.5, MAX 123.0), ACCESS TIME 14.1ms

Anandtech compared this drive against the Seagate Barracuda XT 7200rpm. Basically they consume 15W when active (compared to Seagate's 20W). They're also good performers and there'll be no noticeable performance differences between these drives and 7200rpm drives in any sort of typical NAS configuration.

I would not say anything like "low power consumption" or "blistering speed" given the above figures. The power consumption and speed have both been seen before in other drives. Instead I would say "good BALANCE between speed, power consumption, and (hopefully) reliability". This is exactly what I want with all my drives, and if I could trade in my WD Green for a WD Red, I would.

These drives are fairly new on the market, so there is no good data on failure rate at the moment. I'll update this review when they finally do fail to let people know the lifetime my two managed to give me.
11 comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse