Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.5 out of 5 stars1,000
Size: 3TBPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update: 27.10.2013

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.
on 1 January 2013
Western Digital 2TB 3.5inch SATA6 Internal Hard Drive - Red

The drive was received inside a box with loads of scrunched up brown paper inside another box. The drive itself was inside a sealed anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap.

The drive has been incorporated into an unRAID NAS after pre-clearing and exercising to ensure it has no errors. It is currently holding about a terabyte of data built from the parity drive after a 1 terabyte drive died on me and is currently being RMA'd to Western Digital.

However, on registering this drive with Western Digital, it said it was "Out of Region". Their web site explains what this means but in essence it means it does not have a Western Digital warranty so you would have to send it back to Amazon for replacement. Now Amazon say they will only give it a 1 year warranty. So I have been conversing with both Western Digital and Amazon to try and get this sorted out. The product description does not say anything about a reduction in the length of warranty. If I buy a genuine Western Digital "RED" drive I expect to receive the "RED" warranty of 3 years. I am currently asking for recompense for the reduced warranty period or a replacement drive with a genuine Western Digital "RED" warranty of 3 years. Unfortunately, you cannot tell if the drive is "Out of Region" or not until you register the product.

I will update this review when I hear from Western Digital and Amazon.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
Excellent packaging and prompt delivery!

Bought these to replace two failed Seagate drives ( won't be getting those again )

So far so good, installed in synology NAS without issue!

Update March 2014. All three are still working flawlessly in my NAS.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Before install take a few .jpegs of HDD model no: and serial no:
Scan invoice.

Yeah register via WDs web portal, you'll get a message saying "Out of Region" and an warranty expiry 3yrs from registration date.

At this point use the portal to raise a WD "ticket" and simply explain the situation, include your .jpegs and copy of invoice.
If you can't add pics and invoice via WD portal,just wait till WD reply to the ticket you raised, and again explain along with your pics of model and serial no's: and copy of invoice.
WD will make the HDD valid in your region with the 3yr warranty we expected.

Also these HDDs are whisper quiet (anti vibration & intellipower 5400rpm - 5900rpm) compared to the 2 Hitachi Deskstars (7200rpm) that I was previously spinning....

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2015
I purchased 2 drives for my Synology NAS. Items arrived in 3 days time (I don't have Prime subscription) nicely packed.
Before taking the plastic packaging off I have decided to confirm warranty from Western Digital (WD) website.
The WD website could recognise the drive with the serial number, but wouldn't let me register the drive as they are OEM. So, there is no warranty from the WD either.
In the product listing on the "standard" drive with is OEM, Amazon listed as 3 years warranty. I don't think Amazon will give any warranty from their side for more than one year. With this confusion, I have decided to return the drives.
So, if you bought one of the OEM or Standard drive, check out the warranty in the WD website. Else you might get a surprise if your drive stop working and no warranty.
I have given 3 stars as the drives might have been fine if I tried. But dropped 2 stars due to confusion in the listing about warranty.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2014
This review focuses on the unit as advertised, not the actual performance of the HDD itself.

It arrived promptly and well packaged. The first thing I did was go onto the WD website to register it and input extended warranty code (this comes in a booklet with a scratch panel). This is where the problems started, as once the HDD serial number was input it was then reported as "NO LIMITED WARRANTY". According to the WD website this means the product was originally sold to a system manufacturer - i.e. Not a retail product!!!!

Amazon's response was to send a replacement which, when I tried to register it, gave the same status from WD.

I reported the situation with the second HDD to Amazon, and they said they would look into it - but here I am 4 weeks later none the wiser. WD have dragged their heels on this as well. I raised the issue directly with them when nothing was forthcoming from Amazon, and I've had to provide photographic evidence of the unit along with copies of the receipt as proof of purchase. They say they are chasing this up with Amazon, but meanwhile I'm left waiting to know if the HDD does actually have the extended warranty I specifically chose and paid for before I can use it - or indeed any warranty at all!!!!

Shameful service all around, and the cost of telephone calls to customer services has added a significant premium to the total cost of the product. I did read the reviews of others who had experienced similar, but naively though Amazon would have sorted this - clearly not.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!
on 3 May 2015
Ordered two of these, both drives came together in a box and each in their own protected box with plastic inserts fantastic...
Opened up and checked serial numbers with Western Digital which tell me that they both have a 3 year warranty.
4 TB WD Red Hard Drive In Limited Warranty 5/8/2018

They are also Nasware 3.0
I bought the std drives on Amazon and have had email confirmation from Western Digital they are warranty protected for 3 years
Will report back later with how the install went and how the drives perform so watch this space....

Just an update: on one of the drives I have started to get bad sector counts which is a bit of a concern, so I have contacted WD and Amazon, no reply as yet from WD but Amazon have told me basically "not a problem, we have ordered you a new drive" but have to wait a few weeks for it then return the old one to them... great service...
New drive has arrived and been installed in the NAS so far so good no bad sectors and the old one returned to Amazon...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2014
I bought this drive to install into a HTPC. My HTPC can hold up to 6 3.5 inch drives to store movies, music and any other relevant media files so acts as a media server for the home network (as a NAS would).
I understand that this drive is intended for use in a NAS which is operational 24/7 which is not the case in my system so I cannot comment on reliability over prolonged periods. At the same time, reliability for storing large files (movies) takes priority over speed for my intended purposes so this drive seemed the ideal choice.

For those of you who are unsure between this and the 3TB Seagate Barracuda (slightly cheaper, quicker read/write speeds but shorter reported lifespan) I also own one of those installed in the same machine alongside the WD Red. All I can report is what the technical stats already tell you; the Seagate seems to spool up faster when accessing. That's literally the only difference in operation. The proof of the pudding will be lifespan and reliability but at the moment, both haven't missed a beat.

So to summarise, I have no issues with this drive for my uses. No dodgy noises, no read/write errors, decent access speeds when viewing the content via Windows. For the application it was designed for, it seems great so far. I have only awarded the drive 4 stars because it's still too early to confirm if WD's claims of reliability and longer lifespan are justified.

One final thing... Be wary of negative reviews about dead drives and early failures from other reviewers when shopping for hard drives. From experience, the people who make an effort to log on to have their say are usually the people who have a gripe, so that can sway the ratings unfairly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2014
This review is specifically for the product shipped by Amazon (not third party supplier)

Product supplied is WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 which is a drive with no recognised Western Digital warranty.
Ironically the Express extended warranty which extends to 4 years, cannot be applied to the supplied drive as it is an OEM drive.

Therefore the product combination is an invalid one, you will have an extended warranty that you cannot use. The warranty is only one year of Amazon warranty, not 4 four years of WD warranty.

On the bonus side the drives I ordered came with a plastic holder in a drive box, which was in turn packaged in another box with scrunched up paper as further packaging protection. Not the jiffy bag and single layer of bubble wrap reported in some reviews. (that was a relief). But returned mine as I was wanting 4 years WD express warranty (24 hour service), not Amazon 1 year.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2015
This is a warning more than a review.

Regarding the hard drives themselves, I've used WD Reds in various capacities and they're fine drives.

However, the two 4TB drives I have just received from Amazon, OEM drives advertised as having a 3yr manufacturers warranty, cannot be registered with Western Digital for the warranty. When attempting to do so I get a message informing me that there is no warranty on the drives as they're OEM.

So a mistake has been made somewhere. Amazon are currently looking into it and I will update this review when there is some development. As it stands, the ONLY warranty on these items is the standard 12 months offered by Amazon. Please see photo.
review image