4.1 out of 5 stars1,189
Colour: RedChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 July 2013
I have waited a while to write this review due to the problems that some customers have reported. I am happy to say I have had no issues with this kettle. It boils quickly and due to the flat element is capable of boiling small quantities of water. The kettle is also aesthetically pleasing. The only slightly negative note is that it is much lighter in colour than you would expect with a description of cream, I would describe it as being off white rather than cream.

Update September 2015

I have had this kettle for well over two years now and it is still going strong. We use it multiple times a day, every day and it has not let us down. It is still showing no sign of rust and still looks great in the kitchen. The only negative I could identify is that the light in the on switch is no longer very bright and might be on the way out, otherwise it is working just as well now as when we bought it.
on 23 October 2013
Now I don't normally take time writing reviews but I do read them, and quietly thank those who really do add insight, so here's my effort. OK The old cordless suddenly died and we endured 2 days of heating water on the hob (and seeing all the hardwater build up very quickly). With such a huge range, we consulted Which? and then read the reviews here on Amazon.
I chose this one for price and looks as well as matching others as a jug, with a nice design, side rather than top handle, good pourer and quick boiler, and via Amazon, which never fails to deliver excellent service

So now I've had this kettle 2 days and discover it has (if registered online) a THREE YEAR WARRANTY! We are obviously hard on kettles as ours rarely last more than 367 days ..... We've had expensive ones, very cheap ones and this is in the middle, but its the first with such a lng guarantee.

It looks really good, not heavy, is much shorter (9" or 24cm high incl base) and even sleeker than I expected, fills easily with our new hose type kitchen tap, boils quickly and whilst it isn't quiet, its OK for noise, The water level is clear and subtlely placed and the on off switch lights up as well as makes a definite sound/action. What else, the lid is easy to lift but be careful if you are refilling form a just boiled kettle as the steam can catch your hand if you hold it too close to the top. The handle is easy to lift & control and it pours very well, with no spurts or drips. Oh yes and probably one of the most important points, we haven't had that horrible metallic taste some kettles give off
Overall verdict? Everyone is pleased with it and I am REALLY pleased. Now all we need to know is how long it lasts. I'll try to add something to this if it gives up quickly but I'm not too bothered with the long warranty carefully stored away ....
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2013
The kettle works ok (i.e. it boils water), but the enamel underneath where the lid sits when it is closed started to flake off within days, after only normal daily use. Disappointing to say the least.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2013
Only quibble is that the handle design makes it a bit heavy and awkward if you are elderly or have any wrist weakness.
on 11 November 2013
Compared to our last "full size" 1.7l kettle, this unit is quite a lot smaller - not a bad thing on a crowded worktop. It seems to be good quality and looks nice. We have the red metal version which I'm hoping won't show water marks quite as much as the polished stainless steel ones tend to. It boils quickly - a full kettle boiled in 3min 40 secs - and whilst I'm slightly disappointed with myself for timing a kettle, I found this type of info useful on other reviews so will just tell myself that it was for the greater good. As for the noise (as mentioned in other reviews), I wouldn't say it's particularly noisy - in fact it's definitely quieter than it's predecessor, another Russell Hobbs kettle. It's not silent, but it's not noticeably noisy in my opinion. All in all, a good item for the price, particularly as the red ones were quite a bit cheaper than some of the other colours at the time of purchase.

UPDATE: After a month of use, I'm still very pleased with the product and am happy to report that the coloured finish is indeed more resistant to water marks than the polished metal finishes. In fact there's not a mark to be seen on it - a big improvement on the polished finishes, which I find get marked very quickly.
on 3 April 2013
Mostly excellent to use and nice colour. Only slight criticism is that it is a little difficult to guage the right amount of water, because of the position of the measure. I am sure we will get used to this though!
on 14 June 2013
This kettle looks a little smaller than a normal kettle but that is deceptive - it takes a full 1.7 litres. It boils quickly, reasonably quietly and pours really easily as it is well balanced. The water meter is behind the handle but I just peer in the top when filling and stop when it looks right - got it down to a fine art now with enough water but very little spare. It can boil just the one cup or the full 1.7L so it is economical as well as cute. It is all metal so you wouldn't want to leave it where little hands could touch it but as we no longer have little hands in the house that isn't a problem and it should mean it lasts forever. It seems really sturdily made and th finish quality is excellent... every bit as good as much more expensive kettles.
on 3 January 2014
Good stylish kettle for the price. Simple lift lid is better than our old leaver-lift which broke catch and rendered kettle unusable as no spares were available. Easy to fill from our quite tall kitchen tap, but water level indicator under handle was hard to see and would be better on side of kettle away from obstructions.
on 31 May 2013
Light cream colour that matches my NEXT coffee,tea sugar holders. Easy to fill and nice pourer. Good size and easy to hold. Good price aswell as some cream kettles realy expensive.Just what i wanted thankyou.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Russell Hobbs 18941 Red Kettle looks well made and is finished in a rich red. In the box you get the kettle, base and flex with a UK 13 Amp plug and instructions.

At first glance the design looks aesthetically pleasing and purposeful with a stainless steel interior, cord storage in the steel trimmed base. The kettle fits easily on and off the base through 360 degrees using the handle which is suitable for left or right handed users. The 3KW element boils up to 1.7 Litres somewhat noisily but quickly. There's a switch which illuminates when the kettle is switched on to boil and it switches off automatically when the water has boiled. Inside the lid there's a removable, washable water filter too which is a nice touch.

So why only three stars? The first reason is that the water level indicator is largely obscured by the handle, this also means that when you are holding the kettle under the tap the gauge is obscured by your hand. Secondly, unlike some other kettles which have a separate button to open the lid - on this model the lid is opened by a catch on the lid itself and, when you open it, condensed steam (eg. hot water) can drip onto your hand. These two design shortcomings are unforgivable but are a pity as the kettle looks so nice and well made in all other respects.