on 2 April 2014
I was a bit anxious about buying self assembly chairs, but thought that even readymade ones have to be put together by someone, so why not? They arrived earlier than stated and after the initial mistakes in putting together the first one the rest were able to be done in 20 - 25 minutes. Once assembled the frames appear to be quite sturdy although personally I think a little bit of wood glue as part of the hardware wouldn't go amiss. The seats are comfortable and 'bounce back' to their original shape after being sat/stood/knelt on, however the seats on two of the chairs have come loose as people tend to pull the chair in using the seat part instead of the frame. Only 3 brackets are provided to attach the seat to the frame and the screws are quite short. It would be better to have, say, 6 brackets to attach the seat to the frame which would make it much more secure and instill more confidence in using it without having to worry about the seat not coming off in your hand! I'll probably attach some more brackets to the seats, unless of course the supplier would like to send me some! Having said all that, these really are lovely looking chairs and completely change the look of the dining room, they were bought together with the dining bench and have created a real feature in the room.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 October 2014
I bought two packs consisting of two chairs in each pack. I also bought the matching table which I've reviewed separately.

The finished product, once assembled, looks and feels good. The grain "is what it is" and the evidence is that the wood has not been chosen to avoid knots. Still, for a non premium product the quality of the wood is better than it should be and actually looks quite nice. The oiled finish is also a bit rough and ready when compared to a premium product but it is also perfectly acceptable even bordering on impressive for the price. One of the four chairs I have is considerably lighter - due to unfinished oiling - than the other three (and one is noticeably darker than the others).

Two of the chairs also have a very slight wobble. It's nothing to complain about (again for the price) but it is a little disappointing because I've ensured that the chairs are perfectly correctly assembled and tightened with no gaps.

I am not impressed however with the quality control in respect of the assembly components. I do think it is completely unacceptable that I should have to pay a visit to Wickes in order to buy a bag of bolts to make up for the manufacturer's failure to QA the bag of bits included with one of the packages. A missing bolt may not sound like much but it is the sort of easily avoidable mistake that is responsible for increased frustration and the desire to avoid flatpack furniture. The included spanner is also, I found, not up to the job. It's a thin steel single use spanner that struggles to put too much tightening pressure on the bolts. No big deal - just make sure that you have an M6 size spanner.

I take on board what others have said about the ease of assembly. It is true that some of the parts are labelled - the two bottom struts that run parallel to the floor are labelled "R" and "L". The two top struts however are not labelled and this is where the fun and frustration can begin. The struts arch in or arch out depending on which way they are fitted. A "top tip" would be this: when attaching the two top struts that run parallel to the floor (left and right) make sure that the edge is positioned so that the upward slope (at the bottom of the plank) is pointing outwards (away from the middle of the chair).

All in all a good product - for the price - but some QA issues in my experience.
on 26 September 2012
These chairs arrived promptly, and upon unpacking them I was impressed with the quality. I wasn't so impressed when I realised that were no instructions and I had to figure out how the 41 parts per chair go together. Fortunately I have some experience of furniture assembly and it took me no more than twenty minutes per chair but for anyone who's inexperienced or not technically minded, this would probably have caused a lot of difficulty and frustration. Furthermore, it's possible to assemble the frame incorrectly, which upon tightening the bolts would most likely split the wood and invalidate a refund. For the benefit of future customers, and the reputation of Julian Bowen Ltd, this problem needs to be resolved quickly.
on 12 June 2012
We bought these chairs so we could have 2 extra chairs for guests etc but did not want to spend £100+ each on the same ones as we already have. We also wanted to be able to store them away easily in the spare room or loft when not needed.

These chairs are perfect for our needs, they are much cheaper in price and about half the weight of our original chairs. When you unpack them they look as though they are not going to be big enough but we have solid oak ladder back chairs so compared to them thats probably why. Once assembled they were the same sitting height.

So we are very pleased with these chairs. We were a little worried because they are described as 'white oak' that they would not match our set but they are a very close match. The colour is the same as the picture and the seat cushions are black.

Delivery was super fast, arrived in 2 working days (not including Jubilee bank holidays)

I would highly recommend these chairs
on 1 January 2014
Quick to assemble, just a bit of thought required! Needed slight adjustment of fittings after a few days of use. But a good product and certainly would recommend as a great budget buy which looks quality.
on 1 July 2014
Nice looking chairs easy to assemble, a little on small side so wouldn't want them with a higher table. Good value half the price of other similar design chairs.
on 5 September 2015
I bought these chair's and the matching table 4months ago. Great looking set and I was very happy... that was untill the last two months where one by one the screws that hold the seat pads in place have all started coming out and now two of the chairs seat pads are completely unattached.
Not safe for my children to sit on :-(
on 26 December 2015
Without a fellow reviewer's notes, I'd have failed to put this together prolerly. The key to successful assembly is to make sure both slats (top and bottom) are set up facing outwards, think about the shape of the seat you'll add onto the frame...
Good luck, it's not easy, took us 2.5h for 2 chairs.
Once they are done, the ratio "value for money vs quality" is undeniably excellent
on 26 August 2015
Excellent product and fast delivery. Did have to return one set as had a faulty chair. I will say the return process was very fast and efficient no problems and has restored my faith in online shopping for furniture. Reported fault and had replacement in my home within 3 days.!!! Fabulous!!! Well made and colour is definitely medium oak as described. Ordered bench to match. Love them!!!!
on 17 January 2014
Absolutely live these chairs, really good price especially for real oak chairs, easy to assemble, dare I say fun? And comfortable too.
One chair of the 4 we bought had an imperfection- splintered bit which I shaved off