Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 9 July 2013
If, like me, you're new to The Vaccines then this album is an excellent place to start. Not only do you have the extended version of Come of Age (which is a fantastic piece of songwriting), you also have a live show featuring a lot of songs of What Did You Expect from The Vaccines - so all in all this is a great introduction to this exciting band.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 May 2015
I went out and bought The Vaccines' second album immediately after hearing the bouncy hit single 'Teenage Icon', and as is quite often the case, the song you want, as good as it is, is far from the best track. 'Come Of Age' is filled with some really upbeat stuff, and despite not quite on the same level on a whole as it's ear-catching predecessor What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?, you can hear how the band have matured, and this is a good, up-tempo album, with cleverly written tunes and catchy guitar work.

Addictive highlights for me include 'No Hope', 'All in Vain', the rather emotional 'Weirdo', and 'Lonely World', which is an oddity for this album really, as it's slow and mellow, a beautiful track with meaningful words that can often help to almost send me to sleep.

Engaging indie-rock music to help you through the day, buy 'Come Of Age', and I'm sure you'll become an instant fan of The Vaccines.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 September 2012
My first introduction to The Vaccines from West London and labelled 'Indie' or 'Alternative' which covers a wide range of modern genres but for a tighter classification on the strength of this album I would say 'melodic pop rock' with a teaspoonful of 'Ramone Punk' stirred in. For a band that has been going for only 2 years their progression and maturity as a cohesive musical force is, indeed impressive with extensive tours with the likes of The Stone Roses, Arctic Monkeys, and The Walkmen together with the release of 2 albums, "Come Of Age" being the second.

The general theme of their work does not exude too much happiness or optimism in the lyrics but is scored, vocalised and played with a lightness of touch and an always present 'chug-a-long' rhythmic drive.

Stand-outs? Not an inferior track in sight but mainly good, strong offerings such as "No Hope", "Teenage Icons", "I Always Knew", "Aftershave Ocean", and "Change Of Heart" with joint personal favorites "Wierdo", and "Lonely World".

A really good second album and if their progression over the next few years is as outstanding as their first two years then The Vaccines will be a force to be reckoned with on the global music stage.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2013
Forget all the stuff about the Vaccines saving guitar music, they haven't. Forget all the stuff about lazy lyrics and unadventurous writing. Compared to some music these are deep meaningful lyrics.

Just listen to the music.

An old bloke like me is probably not the target audience for the Vaccines, but they do sing a good song. From the off this collection leaves you in no doubt that the Vaccines can perform and are probably a good bet live. There isn't a song I dislike and there a few I really do like, a lot. Classics? No. Any dogs? No. Just a good collection of tuneful guitar based pop music.

Enjoy it for that.
on 3 November 2012
Quality album, the vaccines are one of my favorite bands and this album does not disappoint. I pre-ordered this album and haven't stopped listening to it since. Teenage Icon, No Hope and I Always Knew (the three released tracks so far) are the best on the album but the other tracks are decent as well. The live CD I found is not really worth the extra money, if you have the 'What did you expect from the vaccines' album don't bother paying extra for the deluxe CD. If not buy that album as well as it is just as good if not better than this one!

In short buy the non deluxe version as the extra tracks are not worth the extra money.
on 15 January 2013
The Vaccines' first album 'What did you expect from the Vaccines?' was always going to be hard act to follow but this is a pretty good second album. The lyrics are sophisticated, albeit a touch cynical and negative in places. There are some great tunes and a lot of excitement reminiscent of the Ramones (as another reviewer has also noted).
If I had to pick out any favourite tracks, I'd go for Teenage Icon, Weirdo and I Wish I Was a Girl: Come of Age is pretty good too if you don't mind the self-loathing, although I suspect that's tongue in cheek.
on 6 October 2012
What did you expect has to be one of my most played cds over the last 12 months and to be honest I did get the feeling this follow up was a bit quick and initially I was disappointed that they had changed their sound quite drastically
I dont know if its the production but you really would think it was a different band at times.
Having said all that repeated listens introduce you to this new sound and its really quite exceptional, the song writing has improved a lot too.
I can see this one staying in my CD player for sometime
on 29 June 2013
From the anthemic Bad Mood to the brilliant I Always Knew this album is a must own especially if you already own What did you Expect from The Vaccines.
on 10 December 2012
Absolutely loved The Vaccines' first album... but slightly disappointed by this one. The good songs are definitely just the released tracks... the others are a bit average. Diversion away from their original sound that I loved... In some songs they've almost tried to go for a Radiohead vibe... but not quite succeeded. Other songs just aren't that great.

Since the only songs I listen to are the released tracks e.g. Teenage Icon, No Hope etc... you could get away with just buying the singles.
on 27 December 2012
The Vaccines have grown up & taken a giant leap in the last 12 months. Loved the debut, What Did You Expect 35 minutes of utter joy, but this is a more 'grown up' collection of songs, from a band who've clearly honed their song writing talent. I put off buying this for a few months convinced I'd be disappointed, but it's great, as many catchy hooks as the 1st album but with more depth & a proper album feel & less like a collection of good ideas. Can't wait for number 3 !!