Brookside - Most Memorable Moments (30th Anniversary Edition) [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£7.80+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 3 December 2012
This long awaited DVD release features 16 full episodes of the classic, groundbreaking, Channel 4 soap which ran from 1982-2003 when it was axed after falling viewing figures (mainly due to being pushed around the schedules for Big Brother during 2000-2002).

Before each episode Dean Sullivan (Jimmy Corkhill) gives an overview of the episode which helps to tie up any parts of the storylines featured that aren't shown on screen. For instance he explains, before one of the Jordache episodes, what happened to Beth and Mandy. This stops you wondering too much about what happened next.

Overall the episodes chosen are a decent glance at each period of Brookside's history from the first episode in 1982 upto the final primetime episode from 2002. Obviously not everyone's favourite storylines will be featured, but you can't fit 21 Years of soap onto a DVD.

The Jordache episodes stand out a mile,as do most of them. My least favourite episode was the siege episode from the 1980's, it seemed a bit flat to me, but maybe because I hadn't seen it in the past. The first episode is still very watchable.

Watching it, I realised how much I had forgotten and how much I used to love Brookside. A nice little touch is the inclusion of the original advert break titles (Part One/ Part Two).

The 1998 gas explosion episodes are excellent and I am pleased they are included, also brilliant is the murder of Imelda Clough from 2002 which won Best Storyline at the Soap Awards, along with an acting award for Ray Quinn, almost Brookside's last hurrah.

I've seen reviews of this from before it was even released panning the fact that some storylines have only one episode, but as I explained, this isn't a problem as the overview wraps most loose ends up for the viewers.

Brookside was one of the best soaps and almost certainly the most daring, the ones that it left behind are constantly copying it today. Channel 4 should have released this years ago, let's hope they release more episodes in the future.

Long Live Brookside!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 November 2012
It's so good to see brookside and channel 4 do something for the show that did so much for them after all this time but we need more with some more good Storylines like

brookside sheila and billy kiss on New Year's Eve

Millennium Club exploded

Who killed Susannah

Mick and Elaine help put Gladys out of her misery

Rachel and Christian, Rachel realises to late she has married a violent possesive man

Damon being stabbed to death.

And so much more but still grate to see it and the DVD is amazing
on 4 February 2013
When I heard that they were releasing some Brookside on DVD, I was quite excited, but on viewing it now am quite disappointed. The major complaint is the yawning gaps between episodes. There are only FOUR episodes on here from Brooksides heyday, the 1980's. After 1986, there is 5 year gap which is a BIG mistake as all the characters have changed. I couldn't believe that you never get to see the Corkhills as a family (apart from Jimmy), and the Collins's and Harry Cross don't get much of a look in either. Another complaint is the choice of episodes chosen. Every single one is "sensationalistic". There was FAR more to Brookside than this. What about all the normal day to day storylines, and these episodes hardly feature any good old scouse humour, of which there was a lot of! I don't believe much thought went into this release. I think they should have released a 1980's set and a 1990's set, a bit similar to what Network have done with Coronation Street, at least then you get some sort of continuity! On the positive side, it is good to have at least a reminder of the show with full episodes, and to be reminded of some of the great characters there were (however briefly you see them), but overall a missed opportunity Channel 4!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2013
Although I had never watched an episode of Channel 4's 'Brookside' in my life, I decided to give this DVD a go. The storylines looked interesting and some of my favourite British actors were part of the show at one time.

I am glad that I purchased this double DVD. This set contains a generous 16 (from 1982-2002) full-length episodes of a programme that was probably considered rather 'daring' for it's time, especially, of curse, 'the lesbian kiss'. As well as being gritty and groundbreaking, I was pleased to see such great acting and writing, which just doesn't happen these days in soaps.

Of course, the real fans of the show would argue that a lot episodes aren't included on here that should be, as someone who has only seen the 16 on the DVD, I wouldn't know. However, on the strength of these episodes, I do hope a second volume is released.

'Brookside' was certainly different to a lot of soap operas (of which I'm not really keen), it was far more 'edgier', and, in my humble opinion, much better than the always over hyped 'EastEnders'.

Fans will very much enjoy this DVD, with episodes covering a variety of topics from rape, murder, drug addiction, and a suicide pact and a highly realistic portrayal of childhood bullying (poor Ray Quinn). There's a few little bonus features here as well, including audio commentaries available on certain episodes.
on 17 December 2012
I adore this dvd of Brookside as I used to watch it many years ago and I was so disappointed when they took it off T.V. so it was lovely to be able to purchase this dvd. I was impressed with the prompt and efficient delivery of this product. Thank you for a great service and I would highly recommend you to my friends. Jo
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Marvellous as it really Really is to see Brookside on any format at all!
I do have to say though
What a strange compilation of episodes?
The 80's (brookies hey day) are merely footnoted here!.
And there's a plethora of fantastc story arcs etc from the 80's era, and not enough here!
A wee bit jimmy corkhillcentric era to me, but itl do!
Although the poultry amount of early eps from the 82-86 period here are great, it needs more eps from the 80s to make it a much more properly realized compilation, as it is majorly gappy.
I must add, i would very much like to see the show released from the start! And maybe do what they do with corrie, and do eras even?
The absolute best has been missed here, but it is time brookie was on dvd! Maybe this is the start of other releases?, who knows? But early brookie hasnt seen the light of day since granada plus showed it back 1995, and it'd be just great to see.
I'm hopeful as are many others, that this shall happen, viva la 1982-1989.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 March 2013
'Most Memorable Moments' is a subjective title!

I've adored 'Brookie' since it started on Channel 4's opening night in Nov. 1982 and this set
promises much - above all (the reason for the four stars) it gives me quite a bit of Ricky Tomlinson
and Sue Johnston as Bobby and Sheila Grant, the lynchpins of the series for the first five years.
But there's too much concentration on the later episodes ( I would have liked to have seen many more
of the 1982-1987 period included) and try as I may, I can see absolutely NOTHING of John McArdle as
Billy Corkhill.... surely we all remember Billy kissing Sheila in the kitchen - it made me go weak at the knees!!!
There is quite a bit of his brother Jimmy but that isn't quite the same thing.....is the inclusion of Trevor Jordache meant
as compensation?
on 26 November 2012
Just away to order mine, reviews are not encouraging but im a brookie fan from the start so i probably will enjoy it, How about a complete re run on Uk Gold? Or as has been suggested a re release on disc episodes 1-20 and so on etc etc etc.
on 13 December 2012
this compilation of episodes were great but felt that it should have had more episodes on it. very disappointed that the very last episode weren't included seen as though that was another out of the way violent packed episode. I thought there were episodes that would continue from some of the episodes chosen.
on 5 December 2012
Great to see such classic episodes on DVD for the first time!
Would love a volume 2 including episodes like the Farnham car crash, Mick pushes his stalker down the stairs, and Billy Corkhills madness drive through the close!
Please release a volume 2!