When I first heard about a novel that was going to be written in a maximum of 90 days, I thought that I definitely would need to read that book. My curiosity is huge, especially if the mystery and suspense deal with books. For those people who may think that a novel written in 2 months must be very bad and not worthy of reading I say, you are all wrong. Sean and Daniel Campbell have proved that it is possible to write a very clever, thrilling, and gripping thriller in such a short notice. Written by two different writers, you don't notice the change of writer. The language and style used are professional and very accurate for the kind of novel chosen. The story flows so easily that it is impossible to put the book down. I read it in 3 days (or 3 nights).

About the plot, it is quite original and clever. The main protagonist, Edwin Murphy, has the kind of perfect life that everybody could dream, till he discovers his wife wants to divorce him and leave the country with their daughter. He will plan a very complex plan to kill his wife and, in that way, recover the control of his life. But becoming a murderer is not that easy, and that's how his plan becomes more and more complicated. Is it possible to be a serial killer in the distance? How can the police, with David Morton on the lead, discover what is going on in the streets of London, where they are finding more and more dead bodies? Read this book and follow the steps the police follows to try to solve the mystery.

Lots of different characters in this novel, but every one of them has a very well developed personality, so you feel them quite real. You can pity them, be angry at them, and even take sides. This book will take you in a gripping journey throughout the darkest side of London and its inhabitants.

Highly recommendable. The perfect read for every occasion.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 June 2012
A great first novel, which immerses the reader immediately into a story which races along at a great pace.
With an early resemblance to Strangers On A Train, what unfolds is an intelligent narrative, which contains twists and turns galore, but never becomes over complicated.
I liked it, and have no hesitation in recommending this book. Give it a try it won't disappoint.
Finally, if there is any justice in the world Inspector David Morton will be investigating a few more cases before he retires...!
on 31 July 2013
A cleverly written story with a multitude of twists and turns, DEAD ON DEMAND is not the usual murder-for-hire, figure-out-who-done-it thriller. This fact alone makes the read a fascinating one.
Edwin Murphy has lost his job; his wife is filing for divorce and moving to New York with their daughter. The scheme that he configures to solve this dilemma is an ingenious one, or so he thinks. Edwin didn't count on a mere Chief Inspector being first-rate enough to follow the trail of seeming unlinked murders, the subterfuge used to hide his identity as the chief manipulator.
The Campbell brothers were ingenious in their ability to weave such a convoluted plot of murder, one that is convincing. I particularly enjoyed the authors' development of each character, portraying their idiosyncrasies and the circumstances in their lives that lead each to make a choice to murder.
As the story continued to add even more well-crafted twists, I gave up on configuring if, or how, Edwin would get away with his manipulations. Instead, I simply gave rein to the authors' well-crafted abilities to lead me towards an unexpected climax.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 May 2012
I was understandably dubious about the '90 Day novel' challenge behind this, but its the best £2 i've spent this year; its realistic without being gratuitous and in that respect its more like John Le Carre rather than a Rebus.

Such is the skill of the novel that actually its the other victims of the novel you'll feel for. Edwin Murphy is too ambiguous a character and squanders the reader's good will, but in the people drawn into his scheme to get away with murder we see the reflections of societal archetypes and those that, one way or another, the world has failed. If good writing is meant to make you think (never mind the twist at the end) then this definitely did the business.
on 9 September 2012
I have not picked up and read a complete book for 15 years or so but read this in a day as it gripped me from the start.
on 10 May 2012
I absolutely loved Dead on Demand! I was a bit hesitant at first about reading it because I'm not a big fan of crime novels and thrillers. But once I started reading it, I just didn't want to stop! Every page was a nail biter and had me yelling "I don't want to stop reading but I really need to go pee!" repeatedly. I highly recommend getting a copy!
on 23 August 2012
OK so Daniel this is for you! I'm a teacher at Daniel's school and I spoke to him today about the book when he was picking up his GCSE results. He was trying to flog me a signed copy so I thought the least I could do was to leave a review as I enjoyed it so much!

I first heard about the book in our Year 11 presentation assembly and ordered it on Kindle as soon as I got home. I thought I would support one of our students in their first book as he's such a nice young man! I'm a fan of crime and thrillers anyway so thought I'd give it a go. To be honest I would have read it no matter what it was like as I think it's important to support the students in their ambitions. I can assure you that this review is not biased, as had I not liked it I wouldn't have left a review!

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed! When I heard how quickly it had been written I was wondering about the quality, but I have to say that the plot and composition is far better than some of the other books of the same genre I have read by much more established and experienced authors!

Once I started reading I couldn't put it down! There are a lot of characters involved and the story weaves all of their lives together in a very clever way. Coming from Portsmouth I could really picture the scenes based in the area. The twists and turns really kept me gripped! I don't want to spoil it but it kept me on my toes until the very end!

I was so impressed that I told all my friends and colleagues to download it too! It is so refreshing to see a young man of Daniel's age so determined to succeed and I am looking forward to the next book!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 July 2013
I first discovered Daniel and Sean Campbell when I read their brilliant guide for writers 'Can't Sell, Won't Sell'. I was really impressed to read that they had also written a novel in just 90 days and eagerly downloaded Dead on Demand.
I am a huge fan of thrillers and crime, I read a lot of Dan Brown, Peter James and Stephen C Spencer's books and am always on the lookout for new books to read of a similar caliber. Dead on Demand had me totally gripped from the very first page. Expertly written, strong characters and a fast-paced story line with plenty of clever twists and turns making the book a real page tuner.
I would highly recommend Dead on Demand and look forward to seeing what these talented authors write next.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The core of the plot centres around a man, Edwin Murphy, who is on the verge of losing everything he values including his wife and child. Things have become so bad between them his wife is planning a move to another country with their daughter and he's not invited!. What does he do?. He goes onto the internet and discovers a dark internet site where it seems he can hire someone to 'erase' at least one of the problem people in his life. What's the catch?. As payment, Edwin has to return the 'favour' but will he?.

The plot spins out to include a variety of murders which seem unrelated to Edwin, or the internet site, but; as the police investigation begins, led by DCI Morton, it becomes apparent Edwin is much more involved that anyone would have believed. In fact there's a building mystery concerning a multiple murderer who can 'cause' death without getting his hands dirty and it's strange how Edwin's name keeps turning up!.

Not the best book I've read by a long way but it does have entertainment value, pace and nicely worked themes around the complexity of planning 'the perfect murder/murders. The ending was disappointing and rushed and the standard of writing dips from good to 'not so much so' throughout. The idea of finding an internet site full of potential killers wasn't properly worked which made it unbelievable and difficult to buy into. If you're happy to overlook the bumpy bits and enjoy a free download then I'm happy to recommend.
on 10 October 2013
A man on the verge of divorce from his wife, and having lost his job looks for a way to improve his position in life.

His solution is to use an anonymous Internet system called a darknet to find someone to murder his wife, and in exchange he will resolve the other parties problem person.

The book is a page turner and did keep me engrossed as the murders were planned, implemented, and the fallout seen.

The book concentrates on Edwin as he plans his wife's murder through the darknet and then decides rather than keeping his side of the deal he will set a domino effect in motion where he acts as the unknown intermediary in a number of murders designed to remove all traces of his involvement and the people who carried out the crimes, a kill the killers chain.

The police investigation is covered on the flip side and how slowly the net begins to close in as the Domino effect takes place.

Overall I enjoyed the book, there were a few negatives.

There were many spelling and grammatical errors that could have been removed with better editing.
The story was that fast paced that at times it became slightly unbelievable, then again it is a work of fiction, but even so I would have expected it to be tougher to find willing killers via the Internet.
The ending seemed rushed, maybe a publishing deadline loomed.