Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.98

on 13 May 2013
An easy thought provoking read. The characters did not quite come alive for me, but I thought it was an interesting story.
on 22 May 2013
A sad man always lonely inside but struggling to get by. The story shows a man prepared to make huge efforts to come to terms with his childhood and to break through to understanding at last.. A very good heart warming read.
on 5 November 2013
I did not find this grabbed my interest even though the subject is topical; the protagonist is juvenile and the other characters only slightly less so.
on 2 March 2014
Makes you think about what gets covered up!! Are companies really covering up where they dump hazardous waste? If one company does it who else is doing it? are birth defects and suicides really the outcome of waste dumped in the ground many years beforehand? It only takes one person to start asking questions but who is going to believe them about their concerns? Annie Boone has these questions that need answering but who is going to listen to her concerns? she has to convince others but who? A journalism student whose girlfriend has just committed suicide may be the one to convince but where will it lead them? This is a story that you will keep reading because you know it could be something that needs to be addressed and stopped. The story has you hooked to find out what will happen to these two people, to bring the company down, and the people at the top who are covering up what has been going on for far too long. I will definitely be reading another of his books and enjoyed this thought provoking tale.
on 20 February 2014
This story,though labelled entertainment,gives some serious cause for concern.Unfortunately a lot of major companies believe that their profits and peoples needs for luxury goods comes before health and safety,to the extent that a few death's are considered an unimportant side issue,a right to kill as it were.
This is a challenging read,read it and see for yourself
on 23 March 2014
I'm not sure when this was written but it's set in the late '70s/early '80s as far as I could tell and it kind of felt that that was when it should have been written and become consigned to the history books. There's nothing in here that's particularly new. I felt as though I'd read (or seen the film of - see Silkwood) the same thing before but done better. The relationship between the two main characters is implausible, the action is ridiculously unbelievable, and the whole thing is lacking in tension. It was meant to be a thriller I guess, but it was seriously lacking in anything approaching even a tingle. Save yourself the bother - rent Silkwood the film - it's a whole lot better.
on 11 March 2014
Having been intrigued by the book description I was a little disappointed when I came to read the book. Conceptually it was thought provoking in the Brockovich/Silkwood style of story but the characters were not evolved enough to come fully alive. If I had been the editor I would have told the author that they had a genuinely promising book but that it needed to be developed to give it depth and a sense of consequence. The end of the second act and the whole of the third act were too short for a sense of fulfillment for either the main characters or this reader.
on 15 March 2014
Having read two other books by this author I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. A story that drew me in from the off. Girlfriend goes home to work and ends up dead. Boyfriend goes to the funeral meets a girl and both get into her theory too many suicides of late. This leads to more people getting hurt.
on 12 January 2015
Whisk st reading this novel I could not help thinking I had read something very similar before. The frightening thing about this story is that I live in a town which has 2 closed chemical works, one of which produced highly toxic chemicals. Both were situated right on the River Aire! Good read.
on 26 October 2014
I am a great fan of Max Allan Collin's books on the U.S. gangster scene during the Capone era, and was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately I found it very tedious. The story seemed to drift along, almost meaninglessly until the short-lived climax, which I felt was a let-down.