on 3 February 2013
ONLY FOR LATEST MERCEDES VEHICLES WITH PRE-WIRING IN THE GLOVEBOX - CHECK BEFORE BUYING!

Wanted an integrated sat-nav for my new car. Becker unit seemed ideal. Suggestion by a previous reviewer that only 5 digit input possible is incorrect - full 7 digit postcodes CAN be input, but it's tedious - enter first 5 digits, hit `back' button and enter 6th, back button again to enter final digit. Easier to enter first five digits and pick from list of streets/building numbers.

Works seamlessly with the cars controls BUT:

No map updates available from Becker for over 12 months now, so maps are increasingly out of date. Some glaring howlers such as trying to guide me down a metre wide public footpath, so common sense required, not blind faith.

Subscribing to updates is expensive - check the Becker website - anyone subscribing 12 months ago at 139 euros for 2 years updates will still be waiting for the first one, despite the declared intention by Becker to update twice yearly. Hopefully Becker will get their act together soon.

Fixed speed camera alerts require additional 30euro subscription.

Upgrading software and downloading maps is PAINFULLY slow - My Becker was obviously old stock, so I needed to update to the `latest' (Nov 2011) maps, and it took several hours. Free updates only last for 45days, doubtless I will be out of time (and therefore have to pay) when Becker get round to updating.

In summary, cheapest TomTom beats Becker hands down for functionality, the Beckers only saving grace is its simple plug and play integration into my Mercedes. Certainly not worth the £495 Mercedes dealers are charging, but if you can pick one up for £200 or so from ebay you may be prepared to overlook the shortcomings.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 March 2013
I would consider myself as an experienced Sat Nav user having owned at least 7 different ones, I am a 57 year old male with a 13 reg C220 estate. The becker arrived next day as agreed and upon opening there is a paper band around the device telling you to connect it to a PC. This I did.

Once connect (PC version only, not Mac) via the supplied cable to my Windows 8 laptop it started to download the required Home software for the device. This took about 3 mins on my i5 laptop via my medium speed wireless. Once download it automatically checks for versions of maps etc on the device and then starts to download them to the device (this took about 20 mins). Once downloaded the system asks you to backup the Becker to your Laptop - this I did and again this took about 15 mins. Once this is done the Becker is good to go and you can view the maps on the device and remove any European countries you may not want on there. As this is the new version of the Becker it has 8Gb of storage onboard and will easily accept all of western Europe to be downloaded - there is also an SD slot on the Becker which I presume you can download further maps (USA for example) on to to save space on the actual device.

The Becker comes with 45 days of free map update and I also noticed when I clicked on the 'Buy' button in the home software that there is an option to download the latest software update for the device... so at this stage I thought I would install both the updated software and the latest map updates (both show as free or €0). So I added both to my basket and checked out. The system then downloads each and installs them... I did one at a time, the software update first and then the latest map update. These both took what seemed an age, probably about 40 mins. Once downloaded I then backed the device up again to ensure everything was up to date.

Once this was done I safely ejected the device (rather then just unplugging it from my laptop) and slotted into the space in my C220's glove box and then turned on the ignition and pressed the Navi button on the radio.

The car immediately connected the device and showed the options on the radio screen to set the device up. Mine showed everything in English but the language for some reason was in Portuguese - just a case of going into the menu and changing to English.

Ive only been using it for 1 day but it is simple you use, put in address and customise to how you want it. The screen is clear and the icons in the Speedo window are easy to read and understand - however, to get these to show you have to select Navi from the multifunction steering wheel - this means you cant have MPG etc showing at the same time but you can flick between them from the steering wheel if you want to.

All Satnavs have their own foibles and show and say odd things like taking you off of motorways and then bringing you back on at the next roundabout etc etc... but all seems OK so far.

So, would I recommend the seller, definitely YES, was the price right, YES (Cheapest I could find on web and £130 cheaper then Dealer) and as for the Becker its self it was easy to install, setup and works well - YES I would recommend it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 September 2013
As always when I buy something of the internet I read all the reviews. Prior to this system I had the full Command system on my old Mercedes. I have only had this Becker system for a day but I am quite happy with it as I does what it should do and effectively. I do have a complaint and maybe this is down to me. It took 5 computers to find one that would allow me to down load the updates and this was an ancient laptop (used to keep doors open) running Vista. Prior to this on every other system it simply said the USB had malfunctioned. Not being unused to seeing this I did try various leads and sockets to no avail until I plugged it in (as a last resort) to the old laptop.

That all being said from there on all is well and I am pleased. Frankly the old command system cost £200 plus to update maps and they were not really up to date so this I hope works out a lot cheaper. I will post another review when I have completely tested the unit. The motto is keep trying computers until you find on it works with. There is a bit of hint about this in preamble when it tells you it will not work on a Mac.

It lost one star because of the computer problems.

UPDATE AS PROMISED 13/12/2013

I travel to all sorts of places around the UK so an effective sat nav is very important to me.This one works perfectly no complaints. I have loaded the speed camera software and that seems to be very much up to date and effective. So after giving it a good going over I would have no hesitation in recomending this product (if you have an ancient laptop to hand!!)

Baz

PS Excellent service ordered one day arrived the next - Well done Amazon!!
on 28 March 2014
Having looked around online I found this one at a very good price (and substantially cheaper than the MB main dealer).

It is a small black box with two ports, as the display is already built into the car that shouldn't be a surprise.

Installation was very straight forward (providing the car is prewired of course). In my C class there is a cradle for the unit in the glove box; you like it up and it clicks into place. Turn the car on and it's instantly recognised and integrated. The only thing I had to change was the location search country, which had defaulted to Germany. (Fortunately though it was displaying in english, so it was easy to change).

The navigation itself is straight forward, you can enter the full 7 letter postcode, and search for streets / crossings / points of interest from there. The maps seem to be pretty up to date, I haven't found many oddities yet; the direction turn "half left" or "half right" is pretty weird but you get used to it, and on my way to work it tries to get me to turn off the slip road to the road 15 feet underneath, but all Sat Navs I've used have quirks.

The voice come over the top of your radio / cd / etc which is good. The moving map appears on the main display, and in my car it you get condensed directions / instructions in the display in the middle of the speedo.

I can't compare to the current crop of TomTom / et al, as I haven't used any of the latest versions.

In summary, it's easy to fit, easy to use, integrates well and does it's job.

What more can you ask?
on 30 January 2014
I bought this for my partners A-Class. Absolutely no issues with connection, software, update and the software version we have definitely supports full and direct postcode entry without any scrolling antics. We like the zoomable maps and so far, no issues with accuracy.
on 4 April 2015
This device will get you near to your destination, but not door-to-door. I tried to improve things with the free upgrade, but it still only got me within 100 yards of my destination. In a busy city with fast moving traffic, the Becker Map Pilot is an accident waiting to happen. My TomTom will get me to my parking space at work and onto my drive at home. The Becker Map Pilot doesn't even recognize my home town.
I like the way it works and it is very easy to enter destinations but it just isn't accurate enough for modern use. I paid nearly £500 for mine and I wish I'd bought a TomTom.
I wish even more that TomTom made a navigation system compatible with Mercedes. TomTom is the best by far! Get the Becker second hand if you want a gimmick for your car, but don't pay more than a couple of hundred quid for it.
on 1 December 2014
Item delivered on time and as described.
The system works out of the box but I wasn't sure if I had the latest maps.
You download a Content Manager program to your PC to update the maps and software. Initially I downloaded the wrong program and it wouldn't connect. I went back to the map pilot site instead of the Becker site and downloaded another Becker Content Manager. Confusingly they both have the same name. Once I had the right program it all seemed straightforward although the interface is a little confusing.

In operation the unit is maybe not as modern as some but I prefer the straightforward 2d north up view so it works well for me. To have a system integrated with the controls is fantastic and it works as well as the Comand unit I paid £1000 in my previous C class. It does accept the full 7 digit postcode.

I did try to contact the support when I had the wrong program and they responded but not usefully. I think the unit might be is discontinued as MB have now switched to Garmin for their new cars, and Becker are concentrating on their mobile units so the maps might not be updated in the future. If purchasing you need to weigh up the benefits of having an integrated system which might be put of date in 3years time or putting up with cables for a stick on job. For me its a no brainer 5 star product for the money.
on 10 February 2013
I ordered my Becker Map Pilot on Monday 28th of January this year as it was an amazing £200 cheaper than my Mercedes dealer, I was totally amazed by this and the sped it was delivered, it arrived the following day at my home in Glasgow.
Opened the packaging, updated the software in 35 mins them inserted the device in my lovely new Mercedes C Class AMG Sport + the hey presto it worked with no dramas, no fuss and no problems at all. It is a brilliant device and I would highly recommend buying from this seller, the service was fantastic and deserves the highest marks for that alone.
Buy with confidence and enjoy the wonders of the Becker Map Pilot, Mercedes wouldn't back this product to be fitted to their cars if it was rubbish, neither would I.

Kennyjean53
on 25 April 2013
The Becker map pilot was really easy to fit and my car immediately recognized it. I have had a few issues with programming and was taken to a wrong address but I think the problem was with me! No tell-tale holder on the windscreen or wires trailing across the car, the unit is stored out of sight in the glove box for tidyness and security.
on 2 August 2015
This is what I've just written to Becker Map Pilot customer services:

Hi,

After several months of trying to get to grips with your map pilot, I have decided to give up!! Your device is by far the worst satnav I have had to use. Your traffic avoidance system is a joke. The only time I find out about traffic problems is when your device sticks me at the back of it.

With the amount you charge and the lack of free lifetime updates, I feel I have been completely ripped off by your company.

On several occasions your so called up to date map has taken me down bus only routes which have been there for years, the wrong way down one way roads and also has sent me down dead ends.

On top of which, I have noticed that it sends me on longer routes to certain destinations. I have ignored some routes in favour of my own way to get somewhere and have seen the arrival time drop by several minutes!!

I will be buying the most expensive Tomtom which is far superior to yours and also costs less with lifetime free updates.

I will be putting your satnav in the bin as even though I could sell it on Ebay and get some cash back, I could not justify subjecting anyone else to the frustration and misery which your device has caused me.

After seeing other customer reviews, I realise that I'm not the only one that feels this way. You are selling an inferior product and I will make sure that anyone buying a Mercedes knows exactly what they're getting in to with your device.

Very dissapointed!!

Just to add to this message, I wish you could pick no stars!!!!