Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 27 June 2013
After reading many sat nav reviews I was totally confused. How people can feel qualified to review a product they have only used for 2/3 weeks and hardly used I don't understand. I already had a Tom Tom with just Western Europe on it and wanted one with all Europe on. I plumped for this model and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed. We travel down to Croatia and back in a 3.5 ton motorhome, through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria,Italy, Bosnia and Luxembourg, covering nearly 4000 miles. Tom Tom proved most reliable only getting in a mix once in a large town that had a major diversion. On occasions that we did over-rule it, it quickly re-routed itself. Instructions were clear, in plenty of time and I liked the lane markings at motorway junctions.
I was impressed and pleased with my choice.
on 22 September 2013
Before I start I want to say that the M is important if you want the free Lifetime Updates, not to be confused with the Via 135.

I needed a new sat nav to replace my old Navman. I loved my Navman but I knew it was time for a new one when attending a conference for work, way out in the sticks and it took me to a lovely quiet spot down a cart track to a field full of cows! On eventually finding the conference hotel my colleagues had a good laugh at my expense and all said that their Tom Tom's had led them straight to the venue, so did those with a Garmin. However a Garmin was a no no, my husband has one and it drives me to distraction, amongst many other places with it's weird and not very wonderful routing system.

I did a bit of research into Tom Tom's and decided upon the 135 M with UK maps. I don't drive in Europe and we use my husbands sat nav for North America.

I was a little apprehensive having read some of the reviews on here which said that the software was a nightmare and that it took ages to set up and register for the free updates. I have to say that I had no such problems, I plugged it in, followed the easy instructions and off it went.

My Tom Tom account was easy to set up, the system updated in about 15 minutes (not the hours that some people have reported) and it registered easily for the free map updates, you are allowed four free per year apparently.

The important thing to remember is that this device is not meant to connect to TomTom Home, which is quite confusing, instead go to the website and download or connect to TomTom Drive and updating is easy peasy.

1 - I have to say that the Tom Tom does exactly what it says on the tin.

2 - The display is clear and easy to read

3 - The menu is easy and intuitive no problems accessing the settings and choosing map colours and which voice I prefer.

4 - So far the routing has been great, post codes in and it gets you there.

So why only three stars?

That brings me on to the cons.

1 - The sound is a bit tinny and not very loud, even when the volume is adjusted but it's OK.

2 - This is the big one for me and I would have given it a full five star rating if not for this. I absolutely hate the integral mounting system. It bulks up what would otherwise be a really excellent design. It is fiddly and really annoying having to mess around sticking it on and off the windscreen (I don't have very long arms so it's an issue) every single time I want to use it. Then I have to fiddle around taking it off.

Having messed around and taken it off, it feels just strange having the mounting still attached to what would otherwise be a lovely slim unit which would easily fit in my bag. It also makes a carry case more bulky and problematic.

It would be so much easier to have a separate detachable mount.

I know that this is a personal taste issue and if you aren't bothered about the mount then I would definitely recommend this system, it is otherwise brilliant.

EDIT 2nd March 2014

After living with this for a while I have learned that the mount does detach but it is quite fiddly to do and it is still a real horror getting it on the windscreen.

I have purchased a mount that fits in my CD player slot and that has made a big difference, I have reviewed this item if anyone is interested. This is very reasonably priced and has made a big difference.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2013
Excellent product easy to set up and easy to use I particularly like the life time map updates which works through the TomTom web site, which automatically appears when notified that an update is available. The way it fixes in the car with the window sucker is also very good, I am impressed with the speed that the Sat Nav finds the satellites and is up and running. I also like the facility to notify TomTom of any changes to routes and roads that are observed when using the device. Sat Navs have come a long way since my first device and after using this device I think it's superb and a huge aid to safer and more comfortable driving
on 18 November 2012
I bought this to replace my old Tom Tom Go (which is actually still going strong after many years and now given to my daughter)just to keep up with the new technology. Unfortunately I read loads of reviews first which confused the hell out of me. Some said great others said awful and lots of stories in between. I looked at Tom Tom, looked at Garmin all with the same confusing reviews and experiences....I actually almost didn't bother at all. But eventually what made me bite the bullet and take a punt was the free lifetime maps offer which was a deal clincher given the cost of updating my old one. It arrived in usual Amazon style ahead of schedule and I immediately connected it up to my laptop(having already installed 'My Tomtom') to update to the latest maps etc. The whole thing (downloads and installation) took less that 15mins, unlike some of the horror stories I'd read. It works perfectly, large display, loud clear voice and pinpoint accuracy, too many functions to discuss (read the sales bumf for that)I connect mine to my laptop once a week for updates (approx 1-2 mins) again absolutely no problems. Personally I think it's fantastic up to now and hopefully I'm not tempting fate with this review. However for every good review there's a bad one and obviously I can only comment on my own experience. Excellent......up to now, and long may it be so.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2013
Changed from Garmin to TomTom after Garmin's lifetime map updates turned out to be map 'outdates'.
Took a couple of days to get used to the new set-up but I love it. As part of the deal we got free lifetime updates but there is also a 'map share' facility where you can notify them of any changes to roads e.g new road works, traffic lights etc.

Also bought the Live Traffic Receiver Car Charger Vehicle Power Cable Cord to go with this and that's looking good too.

Went to Norway recently and it worked absolutely spot-on.

With the Bluetooth facility it's also used as a hands-free phone whilst driving. My partner's iphone wouldn't connect so I contacted Tomtom who were excellent in trying to resolve the problem - turns out it was the iphone (and the service from Apple was appalling, by the way) so I have confidence that if ever there was a problem, we'd be well looked after by Tomtom.

We also bought the adaptor that fits to the airvents in the car which makes inserting and removing the satnav much easier.

One slight negative - the standard 5" satnav case may not be big enough with the satnav and charging cable to fit in the same box.

Other than that, really pleased with it :-)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2013
I bought this sat nav from Halfords for £130 to replace my old Tom Tom XL that had given up the ghost after 5-6 years. I did some research beforehand and had a good chat with a member of staff before choosing this model. In the end, the free life-time maps was very attractive and the slightly larger screen. Overall, I'm a little disappointed for a number of reasons. First of all, the touch screen is not very responsive as it takes about 4 seconds for it react to commands in the menu. Similarly, when you try to turn it on or off it can take up to 8-9 seconds. The voice-activated command function is absolutely useless and is more inclined to cause accidents than help you navigate to an address, due to the amount of stress that it causes when it keeps asking if you want to go to the nearest zoo. What really bugs me is that it doesn't tell you how many miles you are from your destination after the initial route planning; which is a backward step from the XL. I also think that the screen is a little dull when compared to Garmin products, despite being informed that one can increase the brightness level within the menu (it is already set at 100%). So, what does it do well? It seems to pick up satellite signals a little quicker than my previous model and is definitely faster and better at planning routes. I like the fact that it is more interactive in that you are asked to confirm safety camera locations. Also, it will pronounce (reasonably accurately) the actual road that you need to turn into, rather than tell you to take the next left/ right, etc. And the windscreen attachment is more adjustable and secure, as you can lock it into place. So,this sat nav is really a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.

After getting advice from the TomTom community manager - I have changed my rating from 3 to 4 on the basis of the 'soft reset' and tweaking the settings menu.
on 10 January 2014
Mixed experience getting started, had to ring TomTom, but fairly easy, good for my first sat.nav. Unclear and even incorrect road-navigation occasionally. A few features need improving or occasionally fail (silent at a major junction). Don't buy for the voice control as it mostly doesn't understand you. Added Oct.2015: mine has now died.

A. When the screen's crowded e.g. a complicated junction plus menu buttons, it's worth having the larger 5" screen. I'd buy the 6" if I could.
B. I got the hang of this my first sat.nav. fairly quickly (but see TIPS below), including configuring the "Settings", choosing routes, adding "Favourite" destinations.
C. My one experience of phone customer services was positive.

1. Voice control is hit-and-miss though my accent is the same as the device's default, even when spoken very near the device. So I wouldn't trust to voice control while driving. But I didn't expect much for the price; voice control technology still has a way to go. Don't buy this solely for the voice control!
2. Customising the route - I'd like TomTom to add to / improve the few basic tools this feature has. "Travel via" needs to be able to pinpoint places more accurately (see also point 6). Best to do long journeys (e.g. hundreds of miles) as several "Favourites" and re-enter next destination as you go - you're going to stop anyway for a break. Once it said "error" and couldn't show any route.
3. Having the lifetime map updates included in the price is convenient. If you buy a model where you pay per update, you could skip an update and save or spread costs, but I bet you won't want to skip any. C---y's sold a separate "free lifetime map update" package for 80quid - I say this so you can match the maths to your needs.
4. Customisable POI (points of interest) and option for it to read out signs - I like these features.
5. I like that most (not all) street names are displayed and it can give the street name e.g. "Turn right into Accident Road". Of course, often streets don't display a road name.
6. When "Add"ing a "Favourite" it shows a road name and asks for a house number but there seems no option to enter a name e.g. The Isolated Public House or Church of St Alban the Lost, which means that it just guesses somewhere along that road, usually wrongly. I suggest that the TomTom boffins try to improve that. You can type in the whole long address instead, rather than the postcode, but that's usually not as accurate.
7. When you've entered your "Favourite" and it prompts you to name or nickname it, as soon as you type it deletes the whole address when you probably want to keep some of it, which is time-consuming as it's one-finger typing. I suggest that TomTom add an editing facility.
8. You can only scroll down the list of "Favourites" - a long time if you have a lot or your most-used "Favourites" are at the end of the alphabet. The list should be scrollable backwards as well as forwards. There are quick-select icons for ultra-Favourites but only a few assignable people-silhouettes, unless you're happy to assign your friends the icons for Office, Airport, Shop etc.
9. Change the arrow to a car icon so it looks like it's "driving" the route. Trivial but I like it. Would like 'Wacky Races' types of vehicle as options - I gather TomTom's Community Manager reads these reviews.

"Turn left/right" and "Bear left/right" aren't always related to road priority - its concern is to get you to move in the right direction. Occasionally this can be terrifying (unexpected fast traffic) e.g. "Turn left onto A192" should be "you are now on a one-way road, at the end merge onto the A1, then take the slip road A192". At least once it's been silent approaching a major junction e.g. crossroads. Likewise speed cameras - it's missed a few. You can "Correct" a map but I haven't tried that yet, looks complicated.

TOMTOM WEBSITE (needed to "Get Started" and download lifetime map updates)
A. A faff getting hold of TomTom customer services. You go through several menus before the webpage gives buttons for "Forums", "E-mail", "Phone" to see the (Are they trying to put you off contacting them?) So here it is: tel.0845 161 0009 M-F 9am-5.30pm; it was "unavailable", try again as it did work when I rang later. The person I spoke to was friendly and helpful.
B. The website needs improving, much isn't intuitive, and one part kept me cycling between the same three pages. TomTom, please take note, as customers need to visit the website regularly, to download the updates.
C. Connect your charged TomTom to your computer, go to TomTom's website, create an account - download MyDrive (Windows/Mac; .exe file). "Link your device to your account" - after a week I rang TomTom as it kept saying "Unable to link your device at this time, please try later", and customer services did the linking. You need it linked to download updates.
D. Customer Svcs said minor updates are available daily but the actual maps are updated quarterly approx. and they send an e-mail notice. In "Settings" at the TomTom PC menu (icon on Taskbar), opt for your PC to remind you when you boot, weekly or monthly. You update via the website.
E. Website needs a simple and easily findable link to a .pdf of the full instructions (big screen e.g. desktop computer), even though instructions are in the device (5" screen).

1. Postcodes aren't always accurate e.g. if visiting a firm or hotel ask for the sat.nav. postcode, as a major chain hotel I've just booked said the postcode on their website is only for Royal Mail. (As a newbie to sat.navs, that tip and similar I'd like to see in reviews.)
2. Choice of voices on the device and (a very limited choice) at the website, more choice at non-TomTom sites. DIY voices via programs on the Web.
3. Before buying, I used a friend's TomTom (basic; 4.3" screen) to drive us on various routes. I'd recommend this research method. Among other things, it showed me I'd prefer a 5" screen.

Charge the device, in-car or buy a mains charger e.g. Amazon ref ASIN B008DGDXCU. It's plug-and-play - within seconds of charging in-car I was configuring "Home", "Favourites" and "Settings" and doing a test drive. Full instructions are in the device. When I could bear to end the test drive, I came online to download updates.

This review is for "TomTom Via 135 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps", Amazon ref ASIN B007QTI0RS, from C---y's for 99.99 special offer as a newer model had just replaced it. At time of review it's still being supported by TomTom.

P.S. added 2nd May 2014: A while ago I bought a car with integral sat.nav. (NavTeq's Navi 600) and realise the TomTom is better than I thought considering its small size. TomTom's default voice (Serena) is seamless whereas my Navi 600 is robotic and I suspect several voices contribute in the same sentence. As TomTom warns about speed cameras (and has a 3D display), I still use it regularly.
P.P.S. added Nov.2015: This stopped working some months ago.
on 4 January 2014
Turn on
Turn car engine on (device hard reboots - takes forever to start) - lesson: don't leave it plugged in whilst turning on ignition!
Start driving
Crash (the TomTom, not the car hopefully :))
Restart device - wait up to 5 minutes for it to restart
Continue driving, enter a town
Hit open country
Turn off and on again
GPS signal found
Drive through a patch of trees
Turn off and on again
GPS signal found

Traffic device is a total waste of time (information ALWAYS incorrect so you end up avoiding non-existent traffic at huge time cost)
Map updates are regular but still some speed limits on roads that have been in place for years are still wrong
Before Christmas TomTom broke the update system, it is now impossible to update the device, updates never complete (search the internet you'll find hundreds of people reporting this)
The link to update the software that does the updates doesn't work, so to try to move to the latest version you have to uninstall and reinstall
At the same time as the above broke, traffic input broke as well - so I assume they just generally broke the whole thing

I used to love my TomTom One, it was a great device. But I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole, nor any other TomTom device. It seems they have lost control of their software in the rush to deliver a more modern solution (so, a more modern browser based solution that doesn't work).

I suppose it adds 'interest' to your journey, but I feel this will reach a peak when I finally save myself the stress, roll down the window and throw the 135 at the nearest tree whilst travelling at 60 mph.
on 17 July 2014
I’d really like to give this device Tom Tom Via 135 no stars.

For a start it will frequently not charge either from car or from computer USB.
If plugged in I turn it on, wait for 20 seconds, hear the Tom Tom drum and then the screen goes black. I repeat, and the same things happen.

If I can (occasionally) get it to charge, when driving it is erratic and unreliable. It frequently switches itself off while I’m trying to find my way round an unfamiliar city, and even if it does briefly seem to work I am usually told that there is no satellite signal. There clearly IS a satellite signal, loud and clear, because my partner’s iPhone takes over helping me navigate.

The iPhone is much better than the Tom Tom – consistent, dependable, reliable.

The Tom Tom Via 135 is appalling – for £125 I might just as well be stopping to ask pedestrians for directions.

Stay well clear of this device.
on 30 April 2014
Do not buy this Tom Tom - I drive through the city ( London)
For work and all I can say is this device loses signal all the time
Even in none built up area's and takes forever to find a signal
When you start it up and puts you on the wrong road for about
100m even with my house programmed in to it. A total waste of money
For me now I'm going to have to buy something else as this is not