Format: DVDChange

on 10 December 2013
I bought this for my grandmother for something to watch with her over Christmas as we are both downton abbey fans... I got hooked, loved it, really good series and we had it all watched in 2 weeks we liked it that much!
on 29 September 2013
Since I've seen Upstairs on television I've been in love with it! Lovely funny and entertaining characters, Wonderful costumes and the glamorous 1930's atmosphere really makes the whole show very unique. People keep comparing it to Downton (which I love as well) But it's a completely different kind of series story wise. Especially the second series is really good! Get it if you love Period dramas and 1930 music like I do! It's a shame the BBC cut the series!
on 4 January 2013
I mistakenly ordered this thinking it was the original version. There was a lot of good acting, but there were only 6 episodes, so not a lot of material to get into. The beginning was confusing and unclear if you had not seen the earlier parts and the end was very abrupt. The story did not flow very well.
on 15 August 2012
For anyone who did not see the original this version is acceptable, and it is good to see Jean Marsh again in the cast, but as the creator of the original version I wonder what she thinks of this one.
After watching this I searched for and found the original and am now very happy to have it. It was superb viewing and a much longer series.
on 4 April 2014
Upstairs Downstairs is OK, but not nearly as good as Cranford. The characters (especially the younger sister) is super annoying, and the servants, well... I just don't think things happened quite that way.

Also, how do they look after that huge house with only a handful of servants?
on 27 August 2012
This series isn't quite up to the class of Downton Abbey,however if Downton Abbey had not have happened we would have nothing to compare Upstairs Downstairs against, as it is probably the 2nd best series portraying this era,and it is sad that the series was restricted to a total of 2 seasons.
on 9 September 2012
" I thought I was infact going to get the original Upstairs Downstairs- with Mrs Bridges and the such like- so I watched with intrepidation at the later more up to date version, was very impressed and couldn't stop watching-
I felt the series 2 was even better than the series 1- superb acting, good as it gets with the lead-up to the 2nd World War.
If you liked Downtown Abbey- this will be a pleaser as well.
0Comment17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
Really enjoyed this, not quite Downtown Abbey, but very enjoyable, disappointing there wont be another series, even my teenage son got into the last couple of episodes!
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2013
I loved it. Yes I did compare it to Downton Abbey but I loved the characters, the costumes, the settings - I know that I'll watch the DVD's a number of times. I'll watch them as I do other things then stop doing whatever I am doing to concentrate when it comes to an interesting part. i do remember the original series however I am comfortable with this series.

It is fascinating to see the differences in social classes and I watch the breakfast meals with fascination. The importance of position in the class wars is so interesting. I look at the clothes, the styles, the hair, the small size of people - and yes they are actors but I notice things.

Get it and enjoy - I did!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2014
I got this to help get me through the world cup weeks and I am half way through series 2 and losing the will to live - not to mention seriously thinking that football would actually be more exciting! This is awful. I'm sorry - there's a stellar cast - but the writing is the most hideous thing I've ever encountered. And I'm prepared to be taken away to the tower, but whoever had the idea of casting Anne Reid as a Cockney cook seriously needs to look for work in a different industry. Shame, because the only bit of decent writing is her occasional one-liners.

I love Keeley Hawes and she seems like a lovely person, but you can almost see the strain on her face trying to be so damn Nice the whole time, regardless of what happens. Ridiculous story lines.

The continuity is dreadful. After the boxing scene Spargo goes from a clean face immediately after the match to various red blotches on varying bits of his face for days afterwards. At one point Anne Reid goes up the stairs to enter the front door and the next take is of her entering the downstairs servants' quarters.....oh it goes on. The stories are just ridiculous and both Johnny and Spargo have had at least 2 personality transplants since the beginning of series one. I won't even begin to talk about the ridiculous sister who has just begun (spoiler alert just in case anyone cares) snogging her brother in law......well I suppose there's no one left to snog now the monkey's been written out (oopsie, another spoiler, sorry!.)

I've just put my star rating down from 2 to 1 after writing this - I'd given it 2 because I like some of the actors in it....but I think they need to take it off their CVs to be honest. What a load of rubbish. I've seen better writing in primary schools. Much better.