on 27 July 2013
If you've heard James Vincent McMorrow's haunting version of 'Higher Love' by Steve Winwood and loved it as much as I, then you're in for a treat as this album is full of similar soft and somewhat chilling folk music that provides you with a comforting feeling, despite the sombre nature of some of the tracks. It's like looking out at a raging sea, whilst sheltering from the rain in a warm coastal cottage, in my opinion.

The entire album has a unique feel to it, a mix of folk music, mythical stories and McMorrow's soft and quiet tones breed different emotions throughout the course of the album. Before gently venturing into similar genre's, I'd contented in being averse to folk music for a long time up until I'd discovered Seth Lakeman, Ben Howard and such. It has undoubtedly left me ignorant to great artists like James Vincent McMorrow, so thank you Mr McMorrow for opening my eyes to the wonders of this kind of music!
on 13 May 2013
JVM is a great artist. He also sounds excellent if you get the chance to see him in concert. He has a very unusual quality to his voice which some people may find difficult to listen to but once you get used to his voice this album is fantastic. He has an ethereal quality which I find mesmerising. This deluxe special edition album has a couple of extra tracks and a live track which are great additions to the original studio album. It's a firm favourite of mine.
on 30 August 2011
I absolutely love this album, haven't found anything like it for a long while, loved it from the first listen and still loving it, its been taking up a lot of my listening time! Tried Bon Iver after reading reviews comparing JVM to him and it was good, but 'early in the morning' is far better, much more distinct and absorbing, not just background my opinion.
Buy it!
on 22 May 2013
Bought this on a whim so glad I did .Got into it on the first place. An emotional album with a awesome voice sometimes I think he sounds a bit like Jeff Buckley which is the biggest compliment I could give. If you like Ray Lamontagne or Scott Matthews you will probably love this. Give it ago you won't be disappointed
on 19 January 2013
I'd been wanting to buy this CD for ages after listening to the song "We don't eat" (i think that's what it's called. None of the songs are as good as that song on it but they're all pretty good, it's the sort of music you listen to if you're reading a book or something because otherwise it's a little depressing.
on 30 December 2012
I found this album from listening to Ben Howard on Spotify. If you like Ben Howard, Alt-J & Benjamin Francis Leftwich you will love this album too. I can't stop listening to it and for £2.50 for the MP3 download it is the bargain of the year. An absolute must have.
on 30 March 2013
This is a great album from a great singer, i first come across his song "if i had a boat" while playing silent hill downpour, and after a couple of hours researching the web came across this album, and what a album, its fantastic buy it.
on 17 April 2012
Hadn't heard of him but it was Amazons MP3 album of the week. Listened to the samples then downloaded it and it's been played more regularly than any of my other albums ever since. It's a real grower and a real sticker (in your mind that is!)
on 7 September 2012
This album is a masterpiece and one of the best albums of 2011.
May seem like the songs sound the same if you listen to the samples but
each song is carefully written and pieced together.
Great voice and excellent songwriting.
on 15 November 2011
Absolutely brilliant! Beautiful songs, lyrically and musically. JVM has a wonderful voice that isn't overpowered by the music. This album has a very intimate quality; it makes me feel as if he's at my shoulder, singing just for me.