on 12 January 2014
I purchased two of these excellent lights, having read many reviews and I'm delighted with them. I required a zero maintenance light to illuminate the side passage of my ageing parents-in-law's bungalow, following one of them having a fall recently and these fitted the bill being solar powered, aluminium and good looking. Both units worked straight from the box without the need for solar charging, although they arrived on a rare sunny day and I did eventually give them a couple of hours charging.
One comment I noted from other reviews was the poor solar charging. I wonder if this might be due to the buyer not removing the clear protective film that covers the solar panel. If left on this may have an effect on charging and it is easily missed. Also others have mentioned the lack of the 'key' mentioned in the instructions, when in fact its no more than a pin that is inserted into the tiny hole by the sensor (clearly marked 'on/off), to activate the unit initially and to deactivate it if you don't want it to work at all.
If you do these simple things, then the light performs perfectly and is far better than expected. The light spread is limited, but ideal for passages, gateways and areas where immediate light is needed. I think these lights are great value for money and highly recommend them.
11 comment41 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2012
As other reviewers have said, the unit is smaller than expected. Unlike other lights I looked at (online and at B&Q), it is very well constructed; has a premium feel to it with quality aluminium rather than the black plastic of all the others. It arrived at 3pm on a sunny day in October, so it only had 3 hours of low sun for its first charge. At dusk the low light came on and I was astonished how bright the LED's are when the PIR is triggered. It exactly provides what I was looking for - a solar powered automatic unit that lights up up a dark area next to my garage and bins. It has been up for 2 nights, and 3 gloomy days and the light seems to be bright and operational until dawn (I can't be sure unless I wake at at 5am just to check it!), but was working very well right through to midnight or so. At first I was not sure I wanted the 'low light' on permanently in the dark, but in fact, I think it is quite good, but does I assume drain the battery. It looks so good I am tempted to buy a second for the house front, where the modern style of the fitting exactly fits the house. Only time will tell if the unit is waterproof and charges enough over the dark winter months. I will try to post an update in a few months.

But first impressions are excellent - well made, stylish, premium feel, easy to fit and operate ("fit and forget"), and a remarkably bright light.

Update: Still working well, despite less and less sunlight for charging. I angled at 45 degrees as this works better for where I need the light to shine and how the PIR triggers; also has benefit, I suppose, of giving a better angle for charging, and encourages water to run off than collect on the top of the unit. It remains on its low light setting from dusk (about 7pm now) to dawn (about 6:30 am). Still impressed.

Update 2: Very gloomy November days....not enough sunlight to charge the unit so it has been non functioning for a few days. Will be interested to see if a sunny winter day will charge it. Worth keeping in mind this limitation.

Update 3: By January I can now see that the light is unlikely to charge properly in the winter months. I only get light (and then until say 8 pm) if it has been a very sunny day. Gloomy days in mid winter will not charge it. For most users this will be an effective light source for no more than 8 months of the year.

Final Update: The council installed a lamppost so I no longer needed the light where it was. I moved it to the front of house - where it gets sunlight (such as it is) even in the winter. Now it works all through the night even during dark November days. Impressive given how little daylight there is. Still angled at 45 degrees so that rain runs off. It does even better as a light for the front door area - on all the time after dark and brightens as soon as the PIR triggered (even when I just open the front door). Literally brilliant!
55 comments338 of 348 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2015
It's little over a month from delivery and the lights are not working dew to not being 100% weather proof. The Solar panel has Peeled off on both units and it looks like water has gone into the electrics.

These lights are clearly a faulty batch and has the same recurring problem of 'Solar panel peeling off'. I have 11 of these units. I bought my 1st one over 3 years ago and it still works just fine.

Looks like these new one are not made as well as the old ones.

I am little disappointed as its only been 1 month since taken delivery of the item, and for them to disintegrate in this short time is not good value for money.

I am hoping to get a replacement of these faulty lights, as these lights are amazing when given the right batch.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 10 December 2014
Bought this light due to the reviews I read from other customers and I was very happy with the product, has a built in battery with 50,000 hours of light as well as being solar powered, the detection range is very good and gives off plenty of light from the 16 led lights, as an out door light I thought it was a bit on the small side but was pleasently surprised by the light it gave off, 5 star rating for this product and would highly recommend
on 5 March 2013
lasts all night. great light for its the garden. great for places with no power and charges even in low light.
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2013
This little unit gives off a good amount of light when activated. The two levels of light - dim and bright (when activated via sensor) are great. I bought this as a test unit to see if I would invest in more units - so far I have no problems and will buy more units.
0Comment45 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2013
As this was relatively inexpensive I was not expecting this light to be as good as it has been so far. It was fixed it get maximum sun even during the winter months. So far it has operated successfully even on dull days although it stops working earlier. Even part sunny days seem to power up the unit. It gives a much better than expected pool of bright light and the movement activation is instant. As this is written it is close to the end of November and it is still operating well. Update 1 - Operated reasonably well through the winter only a few days when it did not light up at all but I was not expecting to too much without sunshine. Now it is late Spring it has really charged up again and now gives a fantastic light for many hours. Will seriously consider getting another one of these. Great purchase & saving £'s
on 27 June 2013
I now have10 of these lights, all around the outside of the house. They are very deceiving when unpacked. Small and unassuming. However, when they are fixed and in use they are excellent. They give out a subdued glow but, when activated glow brightly. I have one above dark steps. I had to use a torch when going outside at night but this little light has changed all that! They save on electricity and the charges for an electrician to install an electric outside light.

Friends who have seen the lights in action have now purchased them and are equally impressed.

Highly recommended.
on 2 January 2013
this maybe a great light if you live in a country where the sun shines all the time. It faill to light up more times than it lights. so not much good for an entrance light, which it was bought for. Can not recommend this to anyone who lives in the UK
0Comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2013
This light is mostly dark! Although I have it in good daylight it does not gain the power to work through the evening. Very disappointed.