on 10 September 2013
The idea of bundling the model with glue, paints and brushes is an excellent idea. I bought 3 of these models to distribute amongst my own children and those of my relatives. It was pleasurable to all involved, children and parents, as the model comes together and takes shape. My son said that he will always remember the day that he painted his Red Arrows red.

However couple of drawbacks: 1) We found that the red paint mixture was too watery (even after we mixing it). So I had to order the Humbrol paint again. 2) There is a slight problem with the assembly of one of the pieces directly behind the cockpit which in-turn causes the canopy (clear plastic) to NOT sit flush with the body of the plane.
Very good model as I would have expected from Airfix but the gloss red supplied is terrible , it is too thin and doesn't adhere to the plastic at all ( even if you thoroughly clean it ) - The rest of the paints are OK but that's because they're matt , I think Humbrol have a problem with their gloss acrylic paints ( I had the same problem with their acrylic gloss white with a previous model ) that's not present in matt acrylics and the oil-based enamels. The finished kit is as good as I'd expected although I had to buy a tinlet of red enamel to complete the project.
on 7 January 2015
I purchased this airfix kit to do with my 6 year old son and I have to say that it was quite tricky for him to get to grips with some of the work it required. He enjoyed puting the kit togther but there were some pieces that were impossible for him to do as he just didn't have the deterity in his hands to negotiate the extremely small parts into the holes. However, it is a good kit and looks nice when finished, but I would say that the quality of the paints is not the greatest, there really didn't seem to take very well to the plastic and required more than one coat on several areas. All in all I would recommend this kit to both adults and children (with adult help) but would recommend that you purchase better paints.
on 18 February 2015
Can't fault it as a model - goes together well with no gaps and looks amazing when done. It loses a star because the red gloss paint is horrible to use. The others are fine though, just remember to wash all parts in soapy water before removing from the sprue to remove any residue from the moulding process. This will help the paint go on better. Look at the Airfix YouTube channel for some really good tips. I bought a tin of Humbrol Enamel gloss red instead and it now hangs from my children's bedroom ceiling.

Some of the decals are less than 1mm square so a pair of tweezers is essential.

TOP TIP, get some of the clear mini 'Command Hooks' and some invisible sewing thread if hanging models from the ceiling. The command hooks stick really well and can be removed without leaving a mark.
on 31 March 2014
I bought this wonderful airfix for my son to encourage him away from the computer! It's a lovely kit that comes with everything you need
on 20 March 2014
Just what I wanted. All pieces broke away from pressing and fitted perfectly with only slight sanding.Lovely model completed now.
on 25 November 2013
Kept 9 year-old grandson busy and he enjoyed making the model. However, he complained that the paints were a bit "wishy washy" and he needed help with the decals. Overall, an interesting project for a young lad with a little bit of help. Would recommend this kit for the younger model maker.
on 7 January 2014
This was bought for my 9 year old son but i ended up doing it myself! I was surprised at how much i enjoyed constructing this kit and i have now caught the bug and bought another airfix kit. (a de haviland mosquito).
I agree with the comment about one of the canopy covers behind the cockpit is very slightly out, but i glued it on as best i could and it looked ok. Adapt and overcome as the RAF say! I wouldnt reccomend this for kids under 9 as some of the parts are very small and delicate but this all adds to the great attention to detail and sense of acheivement you get once complete.
on 26 March 2014
Bought as a gift, excellent kit and excellent value, my son is now saving his pocket money to buy himself one. thank you
on 13 January 2014
Bought as an Xmas present for my nephew, brought a challenged 'Oooh!' to his face, along with a big smile!

See one answered question