on 14 November 2013
When using phone the voice and volume is very poor, nothing like as good as my old go 710 model
on 14 July 2013
Touch screen is very poor, really need to press hard to get a response.
Display screen good and exit lane info very helpful.
on 1 February 2013
My old Tomtom GO720 served me well, but the internal rechargeable battery gave up. Tried replacing but broke my old faithful. The VIA 125 is better in almost all respects except an external aerial and remote control are not add on options. I drive a London taxi and like the tomtom mounted low on the dash. My old GO720 I had a permanently fitted holder with the external aerial wired in. The GO720 unclipped by press of a button to remove from cab when parked. Also the remote is easier to enter details than prodding the screen.
Speed Camera Database. I subscribed to the speed camera database, which will be the same for the whole range of tomtom's but sadly this is not as up to date as my "out of date" as my old Road Angel Classic, which I was hoping to abandon but I now have to rely on both.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2013
I am happy with TomTom generally as I am used to the menus etc, having used them for years. It was a bit of a a struggle sorting out the updating system, partly because of Windows 8 (grrrr!), and partly because I needed to reset the firewall permissions. It still isn't wonderful, but I can usually get there with a bit of twiddling

Update April 2014
Having succeeded in linking to my PC without problems, (no doubt my fault not that of the TomTom) I am updating the stars to 5, this does everything I need it to do.
on 18 May 2014
It does all that it says a very good piece of equipment. Used it in UK and France even recommended it to my sister as there are a couple of things this will do and her other make will not
on 25 March 2015
Amazon has now provided me with a total of 3 of these units, as each one in turn took over 5 minutes to acquire GPS signals. I have now contacted TomTom UK. Apparently I should have connected the unit to my computer as it requires frequent updates to refresh the satellite positions which are constantly changing - a unique interpretation of geo-stationary. I am awaiting an email from TomTom with further information.
on 10 September 2014
great product great price
on 16 August 2015
A splendidly annoying piece of kit. A mere £125 cranks your blood pressure up 20% minimum guaranteed. You just don't get value like that these days. If only Napoleon had one of these. No Moscow, no Waterloo. Just a peaceful life sitting in his sedan chair outside Chateau de Malmaison waiting for a f*****g GPS signal.
on 20 November 2013
One reason I bought this was the free lifetime maps update offer plus a community-based map correction system.

It replaced a 2 year old Garmin which was getting increasingly confused and I wasn't willing to shell out a lot of money on a sat nav which liked to use road names instead of numbers. The Tom Tom is much better in that respect although reading out "A four thousand three hundred and sixty one" takes more time and is less comprehensible than "A four three six one".

I've docked a star because there seems to be a battery self discharge problem - it will drain itself if left unused but turned off for a month, which is neither good for the battery or convenient for the user.
on 28 February 2012
First a bit of history....I bought a Binatone sat nav.....that was ok but had very confusing voice instructions. I then bought a Garmin. That had very good voice instructions but the mapping system was awful, so bad that Halfords agreed to change it to.... a TomTom!

TomTom are meant to be the best in the satNav field, so why am I only giving this three stars? (and I was actually debating about giving it only two stars)

Well, the mapping is good, easy to follow and produces usable routes, which the Garmin was hopeless at. It also allows multi input of 'Way Points'. This allows you to alter a route to suit your needs by inputting points that you want to vist along the route. The Garmin failed on that as it only allowed one way point per route planned. (Believe me, on a long journey, or perhaps if you are wanting to visit a couple of places off of the SatNav route, multi way points are a must - unless of course you actually enjoy frequently reprogramming your SatNav.)

Sadly the much hyped Junction view is sporadic, on a trip along the M4 in Wales it showed junction view for only about half of the junctions. Not really a problem but it would be nice to be able to rely on this featute for every junction so that when you do go into a complicated interchange you can be sure it will lead you through it with the junction views.

Also, I am now back to the voice instructions of the Binatone, telling me to turn right or left, not for a juncyion but for SOME bends in the road. I've put 'some' in bold as that is important. If it did it all the time, you could learn to ignore it but as it's sporadic when it does tell you to turn, you automatically look for a junction. OK this may not be a problem on rural roads when it is self evident what it is trying to tell you but in a built up area, very confusing to the point of actually making the SatNav a liability.

Why do SatNav manufacturers feel that drivers are so moronic that we need to be told which way to turn when the road isn't going straight ahead? Quite honestly, if you need to be told which way a bend is going, then you shouldn't really be driving.

So, would I recommend this unit? To be honest, I'm not sure. I hate things that promise much but don't deliver and to me that sums up this unit. I want it to be consistemt in it's route directions and I want to use all the features. Because of the 'turn left, turn right' stupidity I switch off the voice, so there's no point in having it.

Oh, one final thing, TomTom Website, loads of stuff there but virtualy nothing that you don't have to pay for. Garmin....Loads of free stuff.

You learn by your mistakes, this unit excels over the garmin in one way only, it's route planning. At the end of the day, that is what a SatNav is all about. IF I ever buy another Sat Nav my two questions will be 1-How Many way points can it handle, and 2- Does voice instruction restrict itself to sensible instructions.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse