Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the third steam-generating iron we own at this price-point (the others being a Breville VIN170 Extreme Steam Digital Steam Generator Iron, 2400 Watt and a Philips GC7420 Pressurised Steam Generator Iron - of which both reviews can be read here and here). So what sets this Morphy-Richards apart from those two (and in my view highly regarded) irons?

Well to begin with it is probably the nicest-looking steam-generating I've had to date. Design-wise it's very sleek and is in a pleasing colourway (tasteful greys and blacks).

Secondly it has a HUGE water tank (1.7 litres) which is considerably bigger than its rivals. Thankfully it is also detachable which makes refilling so much easier (and, like the Breville, it can also be filled 'in situ' too without having to take the tank to to the tap).

Remarkably, in operation, despite sharing the same 4.5 bar steam pressure output as the other units it generates noticeably more steam. So much so, in fact, that there was quite a sufficient output for me to turn the iron down to its minimum steam setting (of which there are three). But, as they say 'what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts' inasmuch that such a high level of steam output means that inevitably the water in the tank diminishes quicker too (so it's a good job it's such a large one I suppose!)

The steam-control trigger is a little quirky: in other models I've tried you usually get a responsive 'woof' of steam which finishes as soon as you depress the trigger. In this Morphy-Richards one however there is a slight, perceptible delay which means you still get the steam delivery even after you've lifted your finger off the trigger. I must stress that it is only a *tiny* delay and is probably simply a question of getting used to it (although personally I prefer an instantaneous 'on-off' steam blast). Another thing to note is that unusually there is no steam 'lock' function which maybe something to consider for those needing the iron to vertically steam curtains and fabric for example (a function of the iron I think it would be excellent for given the huge amounts of steam it can produce).

A couple other thing to note is that although the power comes on immediately when you press the 'on' button at the rear of the unit, when it comes to turning it of you have to keep your finger pressed on it for a second or so (I didn't realise this to begin with and thought I had a faulty unit!). Also this unit comes with a cable tidy for storage which is a nice and helpful detail.

In terms of build quality it seems well-made and robust (perhaps more so than the Breville) and operationally it is as loud (or quiet) as can be expected i.e. it makes the usual steam-generator buzzing/grinding noises periodically as it 'loads' the iron with steam. The iron itself is light and manoeuvrable and (with the risk of repeating myself) this is worth bearing in mind if you have arthritis etc. Controls are easy to follow, unfussy and the unit is 'good to go' straight out of the box (after filling of course!).

In conclusion this is nicely designed iron that exceeds others in terms of steam production. In many ways it's 'horses for courses': I still prefer the instant-response trigger systems of other models but then again I really like the very generous water tank that the Morphy-Richards features. On balance I am happy to recommend this iron and I believe it represents good value for money. Finally, if you register the iron with the manufacturer you'll have an extra year's peace of mind with a two year guarantee.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an easy to use, powerful iron.

I like the way that it looks, its not too big and is stylish in design. It fits on to my ordinary ironing board really easily. (Some don't as they are too big!)

But is it any good?? YES!

1.It is powerful and easily ironed heavily creased items.

2.The tank is easy to remove and refill, I think that this is an important feature in a steam iron and the ceramic plate works well.

3.This is a good buy and is able to iron many items efficiently and quickly.

CONS?? I couldn't find any. This is a great item.

So, as an investment in your day to day life I would recommend this.

Steam generating irons are brilliant for saving time and this one will pretty much iron most items that you need to iron!!
on 19 November 2012
Bought this as a previous steam iron I had broke. However this is much better, plenty of steam, big water holder so fewer top ups, lightweight and easy to use. Can't recommend this enough especially for family's with lots of ironing to do, can't say it makes the chore a pleasure but it certainly makes it a lot easier.
on 11 November 2013
I have never offered a review of a product before, but after my experience with this iron (and Morphy Richards), this is something you may want to know. We ordered this in August 2013 and were initially really pleased with it. After a couple of weeks use, the de-scaling light came on so we followed the instructions to clean it out. Unfortunately, the base screw could not be undone with the supplied key (it was totally locked on) so we contacted Amazon who were their usual fantastic customer service and they sent out a replacement. On receiving it, the first thing we did was to test the same base screw and it came off with no issues. Again, after a couple of weeks use the de-scaling light came and we had no problems cleaning it. Two months later, the same light came on again and it suffered exactly the same problem as the first one. I contacted Morphy Richards to request assistance, but before I could fully explain the fault the lady told me this was a "design feature" of the product that in some circumstances (i.e. after use!) that you need a socket wrench to undo the screw in the base???! She also expressed surprise that I wasn't told this when I bought it..!
I must admit being a little naive in not thinking that when buying an iron such as this, I should have considered purchasing a socket wrench to keep it operational. We have used other pressurising irons before and they worked perfectly.
Morphy Richards have refused to replace the item as they said the responsibility lies with Amazon. Luckily, they have offered a no quibble refund which I have taken full advantage of.

Never again...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2014
I bought this iron not far off a year ago. Due to issues with delivery I received a refund. After using the iron for 4 months it started having trouble producing steam. Then became very temperamental to turn on. Now it will not turn on at all ! I have contacted Morphy Richards because I activated the two year warranty as I had received a refund from amazon. Morphy Richards state that amazon has purchased the first year of the warranty so they won't do anything, amazon rightly won't as I have received a refund. So I'm stuck with a non working iron until March when Morphy Richards should hopefully take responsibility for it. I have also had two Morphy Richards vacuums and within a few months they have broke. I feel they only create sub standard products that don't last a year so you have to keep buying new ones. From now on I will avoid any product with there name on it. Absolute trash.
on 20 July 2015
There are two 'O' rings that come off or perish. They are situated at the top front of the base unit,where the water tank attaches. Ever since I had this Iron I learned to check every time you refill the tank that one of them has not come off and fallen inside the water tank! The Iron makes a noise like a 50 calibre machine gun when it pumps up the steam. If these 'O' rings are not seated properly it will rattle out this noise continuously! The smooth seating of the water tank is constantly compromised by this system and if you are not mechanically aware it will completely baffle you when you expect it just to click into place and do its job. I now have to buy an 'O' ring kit to try and sort it out but I should have sent the thing back as it is not merchantable quality. Worst household purchase I have had the misfortune to have made.
on 30 November 2012
Works great, produces a lot of steam even on the low setting! Ready to iron relatively quickly and just glides over the clothes!
on 28 January 2013
I still don't like ironing but this makes it a lot easier.A little noisy and heavy but if you can get past these worth it for the lightness of the iron without compromising on performance.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been testing this iron for nearly a month and it's easily up there with the best.

As well as being the best looking in terms of design, it ticks every box that (in my opinion) need to be ticked to make a steam generator iron worthy of a five star review. They are -

1. A detachable water tank - and in this case a big 1.7l capacity one.
2. Variable steam control.
3. A generous length of mains lead.
4. Easy to use.
5. Great results.

As with any steam generator iron, your ironing time is going to be reduced as the steam is delivered under pressure. I found on the highest setting the unit delivered too much steam and was comfortable using it on the lowest setting for thing like shirts and trousers and on the middle setting for heavier items such as denim.
The iron is a pleasure to use, eats through the most stubborn of creases and gives beautifully crisp and quick results. It also offers excellent value for money. Thoroughly recommended.
on 1 November 2012
this is the best iron I have used
I have had 3 steam generator irons and this is by far the best

it is not noisy on steam

very efficient

and is great to have different steam options to choose from

I love it!!