1,625

on 1 April 2015
Just purchased this drive, received it very quickly it came in a sealed anti-static bag which in turn was inside a bubble wrap bag all packed in a small cardboard box. On receiving the drive I partitioned it to GPT and formatted it to NTFS copied over all my files from a 500gb drive all went well and the drive is working fine but it took some time to do. Now this is the point that I discover the problem. When I go to swap the drives over I noticed the label on the NEW dive that I received and it read.

CERTIFIED REPAIRED HDD.

Nowhere in the description does it say it is a faulty HDD that has been repaired and there is no way of knowing how reliable or how long the drive was used BEFORE it was repaired. If I had known it was a repaired drive I would not have purchased it.

*UPDATE* Just checked the date code 13181 This equates to 02-11-2012 (Over 2 years old), Just requested a refund.
*UPDATE 2* Please note the supplier of this disk was "InvisibleMedia".
review image
88 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2012
This is currently the best value 2TB 7200RPM drive around, being some £25 cheaper than the nearest competitor. It's also the fastest in most benchmarks, which means if you're after a fast, cheap 2TB drive, it's a no-brainer on the face of it.

The problem is that these drives are also showing some problems. As you'll see from some of the other reviewers here, as well as elsewhere, the two problems are:-

(1) Bad sectors, which can appear very early, and are obviously a very serious problem if they occur, with likely data loss.
(2) A loud clicking sound which occurs periodically, which is the drive starting a load cycle after sleeping. This is a problem because the drives are only rated for 300,000 load cycles, and due to the power settings on the drive, this figure will be reached within a few months on the firmware that most of the drives are shipped with (CC4C). This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware (to CC4H) using Seagate's free utilty, but not all drives are managing to successfully update in this way.

Essentially, it's a lottery. If you get one of the drives made in Thailand, then the chances are it will be fine and you'll have a bargain. If you get one of the drives from the China plant to which production was shifted following the Thailand floods last year, then there seems to be a much greater chance that the drive will exhibit one or both of the above problems. Then it's a case of changing it and hoping for the best. I had a faulty drive from China, and swapped it for one from Thailand, and I'm pleased with the it now. It's a risk, though.
77 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2013
I use an SSD as my main drive, and this one for storage. It is a single platter, giving it less potential points for mechanical failure, and is thinner than most multi-platter drives.

So far it has been working fine, and I have but one complaint: Seagate have made the baffling decision to include an energy saving head-parking feature in the firmware, similar to that found in WD Greens. This means that if the drive is inactive for more than about 30 seconds, the heads park, making an annoying clicking noise and taking a second to move back again when you next access the disk. While the jury seems to be out on whether excessive head parking actually damages the drive, it's certainly damn annoying, and I was forced to download software which turns this feature off every time the computer boots (as you can't save the modified settings).

This isn't a deal-breaker, and if you use this as your OS drive it may be kept busy enough that the head never parks at all, but it is certainly something to bear in mind when considering this drive.

As Philip comments, a firmware update is available which purports to fix the issue. However, when I tried to apply it I received an error message, so your mileage may vary there.
on 21 February 2014
I got this drive, installed it in my case & made sure I didn't have static electricity (wristband), I then installed it very carefully and booted up my computer. The drive was recognized and everything was fine. After a week of usage, I then watched a movie that was stored on it. It then started to skip frames, lag out, cut out etc. I did a S.M.A.R.T test & to my surprise there was A LOT of bad sectors. I asked people on Tomshardware & SpeedFan said that I needed to replace the drive immediately.

I asked for a refund and Amazon was very helpful. I know have bought a WDC 3TB one instead, waiting for it to arrive.
on 7 November 2013
The Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 HDD ships in a 4TB capacity and is the company's updated offering in what has been known as their Barracuda line. It provides users with a low power consumption option of just 5W in typical idle operation, 7.5W for an overall average and it runs pretty cool at 31'C. Beyond that, the drive features 180MB/s of sustained throughput (Actual 167/163MB/s) and 5.16ms for an average latency response time. The power and performance figures are achieved by Seagate's implementation of a 5,900 RPM spindle speed, versus the more common 7,200 RPM speed.

The 5,900 RPM speed selection means that the Seagate Desktop HDD.15 will be a reliable performer that doesn't rack up energy costs. While its target users aren't those looking for the most explosive performance, that criterion is still significant to some consumers. This 4TB Seagate HDD.15 performed surprisingly well in group tests of other 7,200RPM hard drives, with the exception of the Hitachi 7K4000 that dominated the group. In mixed workloads the HDD.15 frequently fell into the middle of the pack and sequential read transfer performance came in about 15MB/s below the class leader. With more desktops switching toward flash for boot drives and hosting applications, the demand for faster bulk storage is starting to lean towards lower cost or greater power savings being the big driving factors. In that category, a slightly slower 5,900RPM drive that meets most of the performance requirements can start to compete with 7,200RPM models when it comes to total cost of ownership.

Pros

Offered in 4TB capacity
Drops power needs without sacrificing too much performance
Quiet running
Good packaging.

Cons

Lower performance due to 5,900 RPM spindle speed
2 year warranty is a bit low.
on 2 August 2014
I have been using Seagate drives for many many years without any problems. In fact I would say they WERE the best by far (especially as they were more tolerant to temperature than other brands). I am still running some drives over 5 years old with no problems in external caddies for back up.

However, in the last 18 months I have bought 3 of these drives and the oldest has failed and another is now showing potential signs of data corruption.
Another problem was that the Seagate diagnostic tools did detect the failed drive was faulty.
I now wonder how long the other 3rd will last... what a waste of money as these will all need to be replaced.

Yes they are quick and quiet but as they no longer appear to be reliable (also based on reported failures online) there is only one decision for me ....... WD Black series or any other drive with a 5 year warranty.
on 31 July 2013
After ordering this I started reading more of the reviews and started to think I'd made a mistake, However.... Please note this is currently under 1 month old. If issues arise I'll bring them up when I update this.

On arrival it was well packaged on time (a day early) and I was pleased to see I'd gotten a Thailand model rather than one made in China,. I read issues regarding country of origin in other reviews. I added this to an Intel 3570k gaming pc for additional storage. The rig also has a 256gb ssd (Samsung 840) for the O.S. and other odd's and sod's and a 1tb WD Red for Steam, Origin and other online game set ups.

I plugged this in to a Sata 2.0 as the ssd and Red took up the 2 sata 3.0's available. Yet it is roughly 40% faster than the red still. I didn't expect that even though there different speeds so I was pleased.

During the first month where it can be sent back I've been scanning for error's every few days and so far zilch. It's clear of any problems.

My experience so far:
For the price I have done really well, 65 quid and I have a 2tb drive thats averaging around 160/150 mbs on read and write,
It's showing no errors as I reach the 3 week period and I will continue to test on a regular basis as I always do for all components. I'm a heavy user who's rig spends 8 plus hours a day on. I use the drives a lot as my hobby is modding so I move files around a lot as well as run relevant programs like SDK's etc.

I will update this review whether I come across issues or not to either give it a thumbs up or warn of what to watch for. for now it's a good performer, All the best.

UPDATE, I've had it 5 weeks now, so it's beyond the 28 day send back, Tests show it is A-okay. Next update in a few months.
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It really is great to see how the prices of hard drives has fallen. Many are migrating to SSDs and that could be a contributing factor.

Yet at this price it really is hard to discount the Seagate Barracuda, (or any decent hard drive for that matter) especially if you do not have a SATA 3 motherboard which can take full advantage of SSD bandwidth.

The Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache is viable option for those seeking a massive storage high speed drive at a.great price. Yet it has to be noted that these drives are not always made in Thailand, which are generally very reliable. I have read reports of drive failures, and most of these were made in China.
The first digit of the serial number indicate country of manufacture:
Z - Thailand / S or W - China

Buying online is a bit of a Russian roulette, so, in this case the best option is to buy from a computer store. The serial number can be easily seen through the anti static protective cover.

It has to be noted that Seagate honour a no quibble 2 year European warranty.

I was lucky as Amazon thankfully sent me the Thailand version, which was also adequately packaged.
on 17 March 2013
After two weeks of perfect running (although with an irritating continuous drone sound) it started throwing up read errors and wouldn't boot. I put the disk into a USB enclosure and ran chkdsk /R on it. My goodness - page after page of disk errors and nearly all the free space wrongly marked as allocated space.

Anyway after completion of chkdsk the drive _seems_ to be functioning normally (and, touch wood, without the droning sound). I will be keeping a careful eye on this drive.
on 16 December 2015
I've purchased many hard drives over the years and have mostly stayed loyal to Samsung. I always prefer reliability and quietness over speed and their HDDs have delivered that promise without a single failure.

Samsung 3.5 inch HDDs are hard to come by now and I don't like buying used hard drives, so I thought I'd give Western Digital a try in my recent PC build. Unfortunately, after less than a year, I've already had to swap one out. So that means I needed two 2TB hard drives and was looking at a different manufacturer this time around.

I spotted this Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD and the price point was very attractive at around £50.00. I purchased two and they were delivered very quickly, so no complaints about that. The first drive was installed and formatted without a problem. The second drive was DOA (Dead On Arrival). I tried to recover the drive with the usual tools and even downloaded a Disk Recovery program from the Seagate website. The drive was beyond repair with a fatal I/O error.

Amazon offered an immediate refund so I thought I had just been unlucky and ordered a replacement. The 3rd Seagate 2TB HDD arrived within a few days but was also DOA. Once again I tried to recover the drive but it also had a fatal I/O error.

I decided to run a scan on the drive that did seem to work ok, only to find that had issues too! The first time I booted up the PC, the drive had "disappeared" entirely. The Windows 7 Disk Management program couldn't "see" the drive at all. I re-booted, and second time around the drive appeared in My Computer as normal.

I won't have a drive that isn't reliable, so I sent that back too.

So the final score is: Purchased 3 Seagate HDD drives. Returned 3 faulty Seagate HDD drives. I will not buy Seagate ever again.

I did a bit of research on Google and my bad experience with Seagate is fairly common, with many users complaining about dead and failing drives.

My advice, to anyone thinking about purchasing this drive, is to look elsewhere.