on 22 March 2012
This chip is blisteringly fast, and very easy to overclock due to the unlocked multiplier.

I was building a new rig for my dad and money was not an object so I went for this over the 2700K and I'm glad I did. Combined with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD7 motherboard and 16GB corsair DDR3 1866 dominator memory it produces amazing results.

I was easily able to get it 24/7 stable @4.5GHZ @ only 1.28V with the ram @ 1866MHZ, I'm sure if you're willing to go above the 1.35v Intel speck limit you can easy reach 5 GHZ. Temps were very low using the corsair H100 cooler.

I have an I7 920 0verclcoked to 3.6 GHZ..3.8 with turbo boost on and it finishes Cinibench R10 in 41 seconds the 3930K rips through it in 21 seconds .. double crunching power ..

Defiantly get a good SSD though if you want to be able to really benefit from its speed.

Quite a costly chip..Amazon was the cheapest.. but if you can afford it, its defiantly the chip to buy IMO.
66 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2013
JUST INERADICABLE

I put it on my P9X79 pro and it auto overclocked to 4.1GHz no probs. After a few days I used the motherboards auto overclock feature and it now runs at 4.6GHz no probs and with a Phanteks PH-TC14PE it really gets above 40 deg c on heavy load.

You get what you pay for. BUT consider whether you actually need it, I don't for gaming and browsing but this amount of power is certainly nice.

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 pro
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 PC17000 2133MHz
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+
on 12 August 2013
Used for video editing PC. Works very well with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, combined with a nVidia GPU works very smoothly with 1080 DSLR footage, no dropped frames even with many layered effects.
on 25 December 2012
best LGA2011 processor for the money. 6 cores will future proof you and the ability to put an easy 4.5Ghz 24/7 overclock on this processor will have you dominating the playing field for a long time. This with a decent SSD and RAM makes for a snappy system. I haven't had a chance to really hammer this processor though its smashes through video encoding that I've chucked at it so far. I have had no problem playing any games including assassins creed 3 and metro 2033 at fully maxed settings with a gtx680 and a h100 to keep it cool.
on 5 July 2013
Thats my First ever processor, and i assembled it on my gaming rig, after doing month of research on parts this really fit my needs to do gaming and editing. Its just one step down from the Extreme Edition but still has a lot of power even without overclocking. Due to its six cores. so far I've tried Metro Last Light and Assassins Creed 3 on 1080p ultra settings with MSI GTX680 had no issuse at all.
on 14 July 2012
I am still testing Intel i7 3930K with ASUS P9X79 PRO and 32GB RAM, So far, I am happy with the overall performance.
However, in less than one month I have observed 3 blue screens, but as said still testing, so may be i miss-configured few settings on MB.

Its been some time I am using this CPU, I would say I'm impressed after few BIOS updates from ASUS, the CPU+MB combo is working great for me. I use both Windows 8, and Ubuntu. Android OS (ASOP) for Nexus 7 (JB) compiles in 17mins :-) from clean build.

I am loving it now...
on 28 January 2013
This is an incredible chip. I have so far over-clocked to to 3.8GHz, safely, however I am certain it can go further. The 15MB SRAM is clearly evident in the speed at which my machine can switch between programmes and operating systems in a dual boot system; taking the load off of the DRAM. The Hyper threading on this chip is also extraordinary; giving me 12 cores instead of 6!!! Bravo Intel!! If you can afford the price, it's well worth it!!
on 21 June 2013
I upgraded to this processor from an 8 core AMD processor, and boy did I notice the difference, in terms of rendering and encoding high resolution video, this processor is on another level compared with my old processor, and in terms of gaming, you really notice the difference in gaming, my games haven't lagged once on ultra settings, I have partnered the processor with a GTX 690, the same 690 I had used in my previous setup, and the extra frames that this processor delivers is amazing, and the frame rate is consistent, where as on my old rig the frames fluctuated depending on the amount of post processing that was going on - on screen.

Comparing this processor with the two extreme processors on this platform, it has nearly all of the performance for half the price, I personally couldn't merit myself spending all that extra money on a relatively low performance increase, though I wouldn't knock anyone who did, you may argue that having that little bit more performance is worth it, or that it means you can go that little bit further with overclocking, but overclocking all depends on the processor lottery, and there's a chance that if you bought both the 3930k and the 396/70x that you could end up with a 3930k that goes just the little bit further than the extreme processor (hey it's a lottery, who knows)

All in all this is a great product for PC enthusiasts, and those that want a processor for more than just gaming, or simply gamer's that want a processor that is going to last into the future, thus saving you money long term.
on 28 November 2012
After being outbid for an i7 3960X on ebay I got tired of waiting and bought the 3930k which is only a shade less powerful than the 3960X but at nearly half the price. HOWEVER, bearing in mind I paid £425 for this, when it arrived it was in one of those brown cardboard Amazon folders which looks like a pasty and the Intel box was slightly crushed. I know it was free delivery but when it is a high value item they really should take more care. The CPU itself is flawless.
on 13 October 2013
I put it on my P9X79 Deluxe no probs.
I am still testing the Intel i7 3930K with ASUS P9X79 Deluxe and 64GB RAM, with SSD cashing, So far I' m happy with the overall performance.
And the great thing about this processor is that it can be overclocked and goes really fast when fitted on the Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard.