Format: Blu-ray|Change

Having originally bought the DVD version of Hotel Transylvania for family viewing, knowing little about it or what to expect, we soon found ourselves wanting to watch it again (and that was just me and the wife!), hence the reason we have now purchased the Blu-ray version.

I won't say too much about the storyline in this review, as that has been thoroughly and efficiently described elsewhere by other reviewers, but from our own perspective there are some very funny lines in this animation, which provoke many "laugh out loud" moments, even though we have heard them umpteen times before.

In addition, there is so much onscreen detail and slapstick humour, that even after countless viewings, we still spot the odd little visual gag that we somehow managed to miss previously.

However one of the most endearing aspects of the film is the underlying theme of Drac's over-protectiveness towards his daughter. This is something with which most parents, (especially with teenaged daughters) will be able to identify and find reason to laugh at, even though by doing so, they will find that they are actually laughing at themselves.

To conclude, we found this to be a hilarious and entertaining film, which has provoked many happy moments and will continue to do so in the future.

Whether or not others agree or disagree with this viewpoint is a matter of personal taste, but this review represents our honest impressions of Hotel Transylvania and it is hoped that they will be helpful to others considering whether or not to purchase this film.
on 31 October 2012
I'd heard negative reviews about this being nowhere near as funny as many other anmimations and i really don't know why,it's very impressive.
A great idea with Dracula being an overprotective father of his daughter who's just turned 118 (a gag i found amusing). She hoping for her 118th birthday her dad will let her out of the monster hotel just to see what humans are really like.
Along comes a young explorer who falls for her and she for him. He at first assumes this some some kind of fancy dress party,but soon learns the truth. Then it's up to Dracula to keep the explorer a secret and so he becomes a descendant of frankenstein's monster in order to stay there without being slaughtered. The truth about Dracula and his daughter,wife and trouble with the humans is soon revealed. There's a lot of very funny stuff and makes some good points,giving great messages about life and differences in people's attitudes. And the way it handles young love is all very touching,with animation to adore and great voice overs. I honestly can't see why this is considered a bad movie,it's funny,it looks nice,it's got a great plot and makes some good points. And of course,Dracula becomes cool again.
22 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2014
I would highly recommend this film to all ages, as an adult I was engrossed in "Hotel Transylvania" and found the humour great! The film is ironic and sarcastic and full of quirky jokes! Not to mention that Genndy Tartakovsky's animation is a treat! Embrace your inner monsters, you are in for a delightful ride!

The film "stars" Adam Sandler as Dracula, a loving father who spends his life trying to protect his young daughter, Mavis, from the cruel world of people. With his young daughter coming of age (she hits 118!), Dracula is about to host a party of a lifetime. And here comes a party crasher Jonathan, voiced by hilarious Andy Samberg, a dude and lone traveller who accidentally ends up at the hotel and (you saw it coming) falls in love with Mavis.

All in all, "Hotel Transylvania" has the definite trademark of Adam Sandler and his posse, but it is also a sweet and kind-hearted family film. Especially for the horror loving family. Five stars - no hesitation!
I watched this when it was released and it is easily one of my favourite children's films but my son had always been too young until now to watch it and he loves it. The film has been on a near constant loop on our DVD player for at least a week and thankfully with the release of Hotel Transylvania 2 my son is now happily obsessively watching that for a change!

The film run time is approximately 1 hour 30 mins and this DVD is one disc. There are also special features on the disc:-
Goodnight Mr Foot Mini Movie
Problem (Monster Remix) music video and behind the scenes
Deleted Scenes
Filmmakers' commentary
DVD-ROM link to fun games - Please note this does not work at all and takes you to a discontinued page on the Sony website and so it appears this feature link has been stopped by Sony

I'm sure most people know the premise of the movie by now but it's basically about a hotel run for monsters only with no access to those terrible humans who hunt and persecute monsters. Dracula built Hotel Transylvania as a sanctuary for monsters after he lost his wife to a pitchfork wielding mob. Dracula's daughter Mavis is soon to turn 118 and so he has invited all of the monsters including his friends Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and The Werewolf to a special party for her. Unfortunately a human backpacker stumbles upon the hotel with hilarious consequences when Dracula has to hide his real identity from the other monsters to prevent an all out panic that there is a scary human in their sanctuary!

The film is really funny and the storyline is brilliant and well thought out. Thankfully there aren't really any scary parts in the film and so this should be suitable for most children and my son and younger daughter both love watching this film.
on 18 January 2013
I took my son to see this (he is six) and we both loved it. I honestly expected it to be a 'more of the same' in the field of animated children's films - mildly funny, great animation but on the whole nothing much to shout about. Actually, as well as being funny, it was unexpectedly sweet and uplifting. One of those animated films that appeals to boys as much as girls which is a real plus. Loved it.
on 13 February 2013
Boy did I get a slap round the face with this one, i read some quite negative reviews about this film but god only knows what miserable sods were watching it, what can I say from start to finish it is absolutely mad. Dont let the fact that its Adam Sandler worry you its the funniest thing he's ever done and if your watching in 3d your in for a treat coz it looks great, so go on treat the kids and yourself you von't regret it blah bla blah bla blah.
on 14 February 2013
I'm not really a fan of cartoon movies but I'm occasionally talked into watching them with someone else so through time I have seen more than a few and to be fair, I really don't like most of them. This on the other hand was genius. I laughed from the very start right through to the end.

It's packed with witty jokes about a collection of monsters that everyone knows so well. Your probably already aware but the basic storyline is Dracula built the castle/hotel for the monsters to go on holiday and hide away from the humans. The setting is his daughter Mavis's 118th birthday and she is becoming a woman and wants to go out into the world which the count isn't for having.

As the story progresses we get more of a backstory on the count and why he is the way he is and the first ever human to find the castle becomes very friendly with Mavis. I'm not telling you anymore than that as I hate spoilers but you could probably have got all that from the trailer.

I loved Adam Sandler's Count Dracula voice and everyone else in the movie was great too. This would definitely be great for kids but adults will love it too. I did keep getting flashbacks to The Flintstones meet Rockula and Frankenstone which I loved when I was younger but it's in no way whatsoever a copy of that movie. Just slight similarities.

I honestly can't recommend this high enough and it is easily one of the best cartoon movies I've seen.
on 9 November 2015
I purchased this for our DVD collection before we saw the sequel at the cinema and we're all delighted with it.

The film tells the story of Dracula (Adam Sandler) and his daughter Mavis. He tries to protect her from the world of people but a party gatecrasher comes along, sweeps Mavis off her feet and their world gets turned upside down.

It is beautifully animated and a pleasure to watch. The story is engaging and leaves you with a warm and happy feeling inside. Highly recommended.
on 25 May 2014
I find most kids films quite boring or sickly. This is quite unique. The story and characters are fresh and funny and there is enough humour for both kids and adults to enjoy. This film actually made me laugh hard! For fans of How To Train Your Dragon and Ice Age. The cast are great and I was surprised at Adam Sandler who was hilarious, I usually hear his name and run for the hills. This really is a treat.
on 17 May 2013
Gosh, I love animated movies and I need to say that Hotel Transylvania does not disappoint! One of the best releases of 2012 :-) Honestly feel good movie! Get a copy - will definitely make you laugh!