Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£8.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2014
I would highly recommend this film to all ages, as an adult I was engrossed in "Hotel Transylvania" and found the humour great! The film is ironic and sarcastic and full of quirky jokes! Not to mention that Genndy Tartakovsky's animation is a treat! Embrace your inner monsters, you are in for a delightful ride!

The film "stars" Adam Sandler as Dracula, a loving father who spends his life trying to protect his young daughter, Mavis, from the cruel world of people. With his young daughter coming of age (she hits 118!), Dracula is about to host a party of a lifetime. And here comes a party crasher Jonathan, voiced by hilarious Andy Samberg, a dude and lone traveller who accidentally ends up at the hotel and (you saw it coming) falls in love with Mavis.

All in all, "Hotel Transylvania" has the definite trademark of Adam Sandler and his posse, but it is also a sweet and kind-hearted family film. Especially for the horror loving family. Five stars - no hesitation!
on 17 May 2013
Gosh, I love animated movies and I need to say that Hotel Transylvania does not disappoint! One of the best releases of 2012 :-) Honestly feel good movie! Get a copy - will definitely make you laugh!
on 31 October 2012
I'd heard negative reviews about this being nowhere near as funny as many other anmimations and i really don't know why,it's very impressive.
A great idea with Dracula being an overprotective father of his daughter who's just turned 118 (a gag i found amusing). She hoping for her 118th birthday her dad will let her out of the monster hotel just to see what humans are really like.
Along comes a young explorer who falls for her and she for him. He at first assumes this some some kind of fancy dress party,but soon learns the truth. Then it's up to Dracula to keep the explorer a secret and so he becomes a descendant of frankenstein's monster in order to stay there without being slaughtered. The truth about Dracula and his daughter,wife and trouble with the humans is soon revealed. There's a lot of very funny stuff and makes some good points,giving great messages about life and differences in people's attitudes. And the way it handles young love is all very touching,with animation to adore and great voice overs. I honestly can't see why this is considered a bad movie,it's funny,it looks nice,it's got a great plot and makes some good points. And of course,Dracula becomes cool again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having originally bought the DVD version of Hotel Transylvania for family viewing, knowing little about it or what to expect, we soon found ourselves wanting to watch it again (and that was just me and the wife!), hence the reason we have now purchased the Blu-ray version.

I won't say too much about the storyline in this review, as that has been thoroughly and efficiently described elsewhere by other reviewers, but from our own perspective there are some very funny lines in this animation, which provoke many "laugh out loud" moments, even though we have heard them umpteen times before.

In addition, there is so much onscreen detail and slapstick humour, that even after countless viewings, we still spot the odd little visual gag that we somehow managed to miss previously.

However one of the most endearing aspects of the film is the underlying theme of Drac's over-protectiveness towards his daughter. This is something with which most parents, (especially with teenaged daughters) will be able to identify and find reason to laugh at, even though by doing so, they will find that they are actually laughing at themselves.

To conclude, we found this to be a hilarious and entertaining film, which has provoked many happy moments and will continue to do so in the future.

Whether or not others agree or disagree with this viewpoint is a matter of personal taste, but this review represents our honest impressions of Hotel Transylvania and it is hoped that they will be helpful to others considering whether or not to purchase this film.
on 18 January 2013
I took my son to see this (he is six) and we both loved it. I honestly expected it to be a 'more of the same' in the field of animated children's films - mildly funny, great animation but on the whole nothing much to shout about. Actually, as well as being funny, it was unexpectedly sweet and uplifting. One of those animated films that appeals to boys as much as girls which is a real plus. Loved it.
on 14 February 2013
I'm not really a fan of cartoon movies but I'm occasionally talked into watching them with someone else so through time I have seen more than a few and to be fair, I really don't like most of them. This on the other hand was genius. I laughed from the very start right through to the end.

It's packed with witty jokes about a collection of monsters that everyone knows so well. Your probably already aware but the basic storyline is Dracula built the castle/hotel for the monsters to go on holiday and hide away from the humans. The setting is his daughter Mavis's 118th birthday and she is becoming a woman and wants to go out into the world which the count isn't for having.

As the story progresses we get more of a backstory on the count and why he is the way he is and the first ever human to find the castle becomes very friendly with Mavis. I'm not telling you anymore than that as I hate spoilers but you could probably have got all that from the trailer.

I loved Adam Sandler's Count Dracula voice and everyone else in the movie was great too. This would definitely be great for kids but adults will love it too. I did keep getting flashbacks to The Flintstones meet Rockula and Frankenstone which I loved when I was younger but it's in no way whatsoever a copy of that movie. Just slight similarities.

I honestly can't recommend this high enough and it is easily one of the best cartoon movies I've seen.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The film opens with a loving nurturing Dracula caring for his daughter in 1895. In order to protect her from evil humans he constructs a huge castle as a refuge for monsters which include, Frankenstein, wolfman, invisible man, bigfoot, zombies, ghouls, Quasimodo etc. We then move to the present as his teen looking daughter turns 118 and wants to see the world. Before the first human shows up we already know the script.

There were a number of fun things about the monsters that kids would enjoy but adults will find tiresome. Dracula constantly denies saying "blah, ba-blah, ba-blah." There is one scene the kids laughed at and that was when someone pulled down the swimming trunks of the Invisible Man. He quickly pulls them back up, tells people "I just got out of the pool! It's cold! Don't judge me!" At one point the Invisible Man is playing charades, which he admits, "I'm not very good at."

At one point Dracula asks if humans would accept them (the monsters) if they "came out." I'm sure there was some kind of message there.

As an adult, I was basically bored with the film which had such great potential. 4 stars from a kids view. Not really scary or funny.
on 12 May 2013
absolutely fang-tastic! the kids love it and its an animation even older family members can never tire of watching. the voices match the characters perfectly!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 June 2015
* What's it about? The story is about an overprotecting dracula father who's afraid of letting his 118 year old (= 18 in human years) daughter Mavis fly the nest and see the world because he's afraid the world is a dangerous place for monsters. After suffering from attacks from humans himself, he wants to keep his daughter safe and far, far away from humans. He keeps her home in their castle (which is a monster hotel), but Mavis really wants to see what's out there; see humans for herself, and visit new places. Then one day, a human happens to stumble upon their castle... no human has ever done that before. What will happen next?

* My opinion: Although usually I am not a fan of spooky stuff and monsters, I found myself watching Hotel Transylvania all the way through and thinking it was pretty good! Definitely a notch above being "just watchable". There is a lot of humour in there and a few very creatively thought-out ideas and I appreciated that. I think for children who are like I was as a kid, a little sensitive and easily scared, this may be too scary for them and I wouldn't recommend it to these kind of children; but for the kind of kid who loves halloween and creepy stuff like zombies, skulls, werewolves, mummies, frankenstein and vampires, this may be a fun movie for them; you may want a parent sitting with them just in case they get scared though.
on 14 March 2013
My wife, three year old son and I went to the local Cineworld on a £1 Saturday morning Kids Club deal. This was the only film besides Madagascar 3 - which we had seen previously - so we went in expecting mediocrity. How surprised we were when it turned out to be one of the funniest, smartest and entertaining films of the year!

The characters are funny and well drawn out - the secondary characters (Werewolf, Frankenstein and Hunchback in particular) really add richness to the narrative. The story is clever and the voice-acting excellent. A lot of people knock Adam Sandler but he does what he does and entertains people. In this film he turn in his best role since Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love. He's excellent as Dracula as is Andy Samberg as the optimistic hitchhiker Jonathan.

This is up there with the alternative funny films that best Pixar/Disney offerings: Kung Fu Panda, MegaMind, Despicable Me etc.

A great film, very funny and a lot of fun!