Format: DVD|Change

on 20 January 2012
Having watched and thoroughly enjoyed the first series, I awaited this second one with eager anticipation. I wasn't to be disappointed....
It's just an absolute sheer delight from start to finish. As well as having thrills and humour (I do so love Martin Freeman's deadpan comic timing), it was actually incredibly moving at times (refer to Freeman's speech at the end of 'The Reichenbach Fall').

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman appear to have been born to play Holmes & Watson and I really cannot think of anyone better. They lend the right amount of gravitas in their respective roles to make both their characters not only believable but loveable. You really do care what happens to them.

This Sherlock series is in very assured hands with the BBC, Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss at the helm. Their love for the stories etc, shines through with their faithful adaptations. And I, for one, simply cannot wait for the next Sherlock series!
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2012
I just love the modern Sherlock, clever, funny and well acted. I think Series 2 might even be better than Series 1.
I can't get over the level of ignorant nit-picking that goes on in some of these reviews, though. A lot of people clearly are not familar with Conan Doyle. Certain things have to happen the way they do because that's how he wrote them, eg the 'shock' ending of the Reichenbach Fall (can't be bothered being hassled about spoilers, hardly consider it a secret/surprise when the story has been in print for more than a century!) I'm watching the stories more to see how things happen than what happens, and it is obvious that Gatiss and Moffat, as the total fans they clearly are, will stick to the spirit of ACD's stories as much as possible. BTW that means that Holmes and Watson will probably never engage in a torrid sexual relationship...They are, however, definitely a couple, just not in the conventional sense.

I think this interpretation is very polarising, either you love it, or it annoys you, in which case, go and watch something else. If you've seen any of the episodes in either series on tv, you know which group you belong to.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all good, I love the actors-especially Benedict and Martin, who are great together, I think the funny bits are funny, and the sad bits are sad and the whole thing is very clever.

I suspect a third series may be a long time coming, but I'm looking forward to it!
Now we have had the second series of Sherlock, and we know that there is a third series on the way, who would have thought that 'Sherlock Fever' would once again sweep the world. Conan Doyle wrote his serial detective and soon overtook the popularity of M Lecoq, the big sensation at the time. From there he has been filmed many times, arguably the ultimate old style stories brought to life in Sherlock Holmes - Complete Collection [DVD] by the definitive Holmes, Jeremy Brett. To actually dare to go back to the stories and look at ways to bring them into the 21st Century was a stroke of genius, but to actually make them work, and have not just a British but an international fan base for the series is just astounding.

This two disc set gives us the three latest films, subtitles for those who need them, and a documentary about making this second series. The on screen chemistry between Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is perfect, as well as the rest of the casting. With a Moriarty who is genuinely unpredictable and the delicious Lara Pulver as Irene Adler there is just so much to take in and enjoy here. The new Sherlock is believable and Cumberbatch has fallen into a role that seems to have been written just for him. Once again a series that is as good as the first one, and long may the new Sherlock be on our screens to entertain and enthrall us.
review image
on 19 January 2012
First things first; I have not read Sherlock Holmes, I've heard the name of some of his stories and I even know about the famous conclusion to the short story 'A Final Problem' but generally I approach any Sherlock Holmes based film or tv show ignorant of the source materials. This show does bear some similarities to writer Steven Moffat's other show Doctor Who, both involve a remarkably unique person in stories that can be quite mysterious but also versatile but where they differ however is in consistency. Sherlock may only have 6 episodes to its name but we have 6 quite extraordinary episodes to drool over and the second series is even better than the first.

The concept itself is remarkable and executed rather flawlessly because there does seem to be a perfect balance between old and new, the crisp visuals, high technology and clever editing explaining the 'science of deduction' scenes are accompanied by a score that just seems to evoke Victorian England. The mixture of characters as well not withstanding including the brilliant Mark Gatiss as Mycroft, Una Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson and Rupert Graves as Lestrade. However the show can only be this joyous to watch thanks to the stunning lead combination of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. No doubt critics and fans alike have been raving about the level of success that these two actors have achieved with their performances and I will just add on to say that such acclaim is well and truly deserved.

The much anticipated series 2 I'm delighted to say does not disappoint at all, sadly again only 3 episodes but each episode offers something different because Moffat, Gatiss and Steve Thompson each offer a fresh interpretation of 3 classic Holmes stories. 'A Scandal in Belgravia' is a brilliant re-introduction to the delights that the first series gave. Moffat balances plot with drama, action and humour perfectly with twists and turns galore before bringing it all to a satisfying conclusion. Belgravia also boasts an excellent Lara Pulver as Irene Adler. Gatiss' 'Hounds of Baskerville' is more of a leaning towards horror and the supernatural but keeps you hooked throughout, it may lack the brilliant scenes of deduction seen previously but it's by no means anything lesser. Arguably however Thompson steals the show with a belter of a story as Holmes finally gets to do battle with his arch nemesis James or 'Jim' Moriarty in 'Reichenbach Falls'. Andrew Scott gives a showstealing turn (almost) as a sinister take on the character and the clash of intellects between Moriarty and Sherlock is every bit as epic as it should. The ending itself is mindblowing and heartbreaking and tops off what is simply remarkable television. It goes without saying that if you loved the first series then you'll love this one even more; if you've seen this and havent seen the first series then go buy that one as well as this. Simply marvelous.
on 29 August 2015
Once you discovered this series you can't stop watching it. Being each season made by few episodes, the waiting for next season to come has always been hard! What I love about that is that probably is the best and most accurate adapation of Sherlock Holmes, although being set in modern times and updated to contemporary sensibility and way of life. And yet it preserves the spirit of the novels and characters much more than other films (I think about horrible Guy Ritchie's films, that are just modern on the surface, but they all focus on special effects without saying nothing about chracters, places, settings, and the world behind those detections).
It is a perfect series from any point of view, and the ability was to show how still great it can be even if they use smartphone and internet. Indeed, te brilliant thing is that they perfectly adapt original elements to contemporary world: so Watson's diary become a blog, Sherlock's ambiguity is not just a matter of homosexual attraction to Watson but a more complex question about him not belonging to the common people and world (which is a distinctive quality and also a damnation), and even the smartest direction ideas (like mobile texts popping up on screen, or some montage and editing cuts) are not just showing off but a way to make it appealing without betraying the true spirit of the books.
It has the merit to having launched great actors who became stars (Benedict is truly great). The blu ray is incredibly good
on 6 February 2012
Rarely is a second series better than the first but, good news Sherlock fans, the boys here seem to have done it. So here we have the big three - romance, horror and thriller or to put it another way the woman, the hound and the enemy dealing with the themes of love, fear and death. The episodes are so excellent I struggle to find words to convey just how glorious they are.

The acting is superb. Benedict Cumberbatch manages to encompass intelligence, moodiness and sex appeal in his portrayal of Holmes (how can you not love that face?) and the chemistry between he and Martin Freeman as Watson is spot on. The interaction between Cumberbatch and Lara Pulver (Irene Adler) is also great, not only on screen but on the audio commentary which is interesting and amusing. I feel I should mention the other women here - Una Stubbs (Mrs Hudson) and Louise Brealey (Molly Hooper) - as I believe their performances are underrated. You feel so much warmth for Mrs Hudson and empathy for poor `I don't count' Molly.

All episodes are brilliantly filmed. There's atmospheric music, a witty and intelligent script, moments of tension, shock, humour and sadness. My favourite episode is `A Scandal in Belgravia' which has so many fantastic, teasing and emotional moments on so many levels - I'd be amazed by anyone not on the edge of their seat when the phone unlocks! The `Fall' episode will leave you bubbling with anticipation for series 3 and brimming with theories about what actually happened.

I'm rating this as 5 stars (I would feel so terrible if I didn't, these are the best things to hit TV screens in ages ) but I agree with other reviews I've seen that the special features are a bit lacking. I enjoyed the `Sherlock Uncovered' as I thought it was fascinating but I would have liked a little more of it please. Also is it really fair to have 3 episodes and only 2 audio commentaries? I loved hearing the stories from behind the scenes and learning about the incorporated Conan Doyle references. Clearly one of the reasons these are so good is that the writers are dedicated to maintaining the authenticity of the original stories. Sadly Martin Freeman does not appear on either of the commentaries and Benedict Cumberbatch only appears on one - hopefully this will be rectified for series 3?

I strongly advise everyone to become engrossed in these as quickly as possible - I have watched my Blu-ray every day since it arrived. Sit back, allow your pulse to become elevated, pupils dilated and don't be surprised if you have a few sharp intakes of breath either...
on 16 January 2012
This is a fantastic second series, I didn't think they would be able to best the first, but they did. I was in tears at the end of the final instalment! The actors and characters are all perfect, modernised very well, but the original Holmes and Watson are still perfectly visible within their modern personae. This is an instant classic, the best TV that I've seen in a long time, and my pre-order is already in place!
on 22 January 2013
This is not the best modernisation of Sherlock. I think this is the best series on TV at the moment. Taking inspiration from Arthur Conan Doyle's work an excellent blend of humour, storytelling, and adventure. Absolute genius.

The first adventure takes elements of a number of ACD's short stories and the main antagonist is Irene Adler the women who changed Sherlock Holmes attitude to women. The reason I like this story so much is I think it brings more depth to Sherlock's relationship to Irene. She is not just "the Woman" who out smarted him once. As an audience we are trying to figure her out the same time Sherlock is. Bearing in mind Sherlock can usually know 90% of a person's history from his first glance this is infuriating and alluring to him at the same time. Someone with Sherlock's obsessive/competitive personality he cannot help be trapped/attracted by/to her.

This second story is not once of my favourites but this has little touches of genius. Putting a character type case as a werewolves (from Being Human - Complete Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]) into the Hound of the Baskervilles story genius. This interesting thing about this story is for the first time Sherlock doubts himself and his belief system. I am sure this was built from something in series 3, but I did find this as more of a filler story that a standalone.

The last episode Sherlock vs. Moriarty. As Sherlock Holmes once said "the finest joust and parry of deduction ever displayed" with plenty of reversals. Clever layer upon layer of intrigue and even managing to show Sherlock's devotion and feeling for his friends (which he cannot admit). Great series.
on 26 January 2012
If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan and want some new material, look no further. Under the hands of Holmes fanboys Moffat and Gatiss, Conan Doyle's legacy is safe: the underlying humour, intelligence and, yes, even cheekiness, are all here, mixed up with a lot of winks and nods to fans of the original.
After proving his mettle in season 1, Sherlock is back for 3 more 90 minutes long episodes, and these pack quite a punch. If you thought Sherlock was high quality TV before, prepare to have your mind blown.
The scripts are amazing in their intelligence and intricacy, the cinematography (especially of Paul McGuigan's for the first 2 episodes) is a true masterpiece. And what about the acting? Only Benedict Cumberbatch could pull off those deductions, Martin Freeman those facial expressions. In particular Lara Pulver, guest actress in the first episode, is fantastic and well deserving of another turn as Irene Adler in the future.
As a series this is definitely 6 stars! However, as a DVD, it surely deserved more extra material. A very short Making Of, as well as audio commentaries for the first 2 episodes is all you get.
All in all, a must have for all Sherlock fans and Sherlock Holmes aficionados.
on 31 January 2012
I really think that Gatiss and Moffat hit it out of the park with series. It's simply amazing. The work that they put into these shows is astounding. The cinematography, the scripts and the actors are seriously spot on. Benedict and Martin have such great chemistry and Andrew Scott really nailed that portrayal of Moriarty.

So many people that I've shown Sherlock to have just simply fallen in love with it.

As for the US buyers, Sony blu ray players don't play 50i. Samsung, Panasonic, and LG blu ray players do. So if you're having trouble playing it in the US, it's most likely because you don't have the right player. I have a Sony and a Samsung and it wont play on my sony due to it being strictly a 60i, but it will play on my samsung.