on 12 August 2012
Well, I finally decided to buy the movie, and have now watched it. I don't think I could sit through it again.

It's done on an ambitious scale - it looks like what it claims to be, a presentation of small elements of a major battle, and it gives an overview of the battle which is of wider scope than anything I've seen before. Photography is excellent, as you would expect, though I became fatigued by the relentless slo-mo close ups of exploding bullet wounds.

I'm really not certain why I found that it grated. I was not offended by anything as important as the cap badges(!), but the technique of switching between the accounts of the personal view (the selected individuals used to illustrate the story) and the high-level grand plan view leaves a gap in the middle which makes it hard to follow - I would have liked to see more of a narrative at divisional level as well. The blood and gore is probably over-done - we get the idea very quickly that war is horribly brutal, and the constant focus on this aspect gets uncomfortably close to obsession at times. The talking heads were not particularly interesting - they could have been anyone, and most of what they added was well known or obvious anyway. I think mostly it is the over-earnestness of the commentary - moronically explaining "he is now in terrible danger" and so forth - yes, we had sort of picked up on that as well.

I'm left unsure what the film was trying to do, if only to justify the big budget. I don't think it said anything new about Gettysburg, I dont think the micro vs macro view idea works very well, and the gory presentation tells us that war is not pleasant, and then explains it over and over again for the benefit of slower viewers. It didn't really make it as education, and as entertainment it is very much inferior to the Gettysburg film from the Gods & Generals trilogy. I was disappointed - I wanted it to be better than that.
on 20 May 2012
Immediately from the cover you've got an idea of what's coming. For serious American civil war officianados the soldiers hat badge in the picture is from the wrong decade! So good start for Mr.Scott. The film itself, even with those annoying omissions or errors is watch-able and rather than concentrating on Little Round Top it makes interesting work of the first day in the woodsw to the north of the town with the Iron Brigade and then Culp's Hill on the 1st and 2nd day, also looking at Dan Sickles disastrous foray into the Peach Orchard. It's more bloody and graphic than other popular media expressions of Gettysburg and draws the viewer into field hospitals and the contemporary methods of the day. Yes, buy a copy but remember this is for High School history lessons rather than serious historic reflection. For that you need to read books...
on 17 August 2012
I love the history of the ACW.As a history lesson its not bad but as a history film by Ridley Scott it should have been a lot better.If you haven't had the pleasure of viewing the Film Gettysburg and Gods and Generals buy them rather than purchasing this.
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2012
I really like this film and if you want entertainment in this genre then I can highly recommend it.

However if you are a student of the American Civil War then this isn't an accurate source document. Still an interesting watch though!
on 12 July 2015
I bought this after watching a clip on you tube. Not to be confused with the original Gettysburg film. I did find this DVD helpfull in the technical details regarding the weapons and cannons used. Some of the injuries received where very graphic. I did not realise how much the battle impacted on the town of Gettysburg until watching this. A tour of the Gettysburg battle sight showed houses that still had bullet scars.Well worth buying
on 30 June 2013
Fantastic Docu-Movie showing some of the most violent fighting in the bloodiest battle of the American Civil war...The mix of documentry descriptions with some excellent dramatisation really brings to life the full horrors of not just the battle but the war.
on 11 October 2015
Enjoyable and accurate but perhaps trying to condense too much into too short a time and consequently lacked depth in my opinion. I visited Gettysburg this year and the settings in the docudrama were eerily accurate.
on 19 May 2013
A novel look at various events in the US Civil War from the perspective of individuals in the conflict. Interesting for a casual historian of this period. Still worthwhile.
on 21 September 2013
A thorough and detailed account of this epic battle, almost too much gore but it brought home the horrors of civil war.
on 8 June 2015
It is OK. Poor for someone of the calibre of Sir Ridley Scott, but OK.