Colour Name: blackChange

on 18 December 2011
I bought this to replace my Series 1 Pure Mini Compact Radio which died on me after 3 years of usage. (It lost the capacity to broadcast digital programmes though the FM service still works.) Apart from that fatal flaw I had been well pleased with Mini Compact Radio which I use as the kitchen radio. It took me about 5 minutes to fit the battery and set my 8 preset digital stations and 2 preset FM stations. All very simple. Reception of the digital stations is crystal clear and it is great to be back on line again.

The Series II is similar in most ways to Series I, but there are a few differences. It is slightly smaller, even more compact, but still chunky enough to be stable. My Series I was white and I bought white again. The Series II has a satin finish rather than the gloss finish of Series I.

Switching between preset stations is still a bit cumbersome, following the same routine as with Series I. It requires you to press the 'preset' button on the top of the radio; then turn that large silver-coloured button on the side of the radio until the number of your preset station comes up; and then press the same silver button to select it. The buttons on the top of the radio which control its functions are a bit more prominent and robust than the Series I. When will digital radios move into the age of the remote control?

Remember if you want this radio to be mobile you will have to buy at battery for about £15. Otherwise plug it into the mains and you don't need a battery. Fortunately the battery I bought for the Series I radio fits this one.

I am well pleased with the purchase.

PS: Update September 2015. Nearly 4 years since purchase and the radio is still going well, all functions undiminished. However I was looking for another new DAB Radio and saw that I could get a Goodmans Canvas for £19.00 on Amazon. I ordered one last month and by the evening of the day it was delivered it was back in its packaging heading back to Amazon. See my review if you are interested. This week I ordered another of these Pure ONE Mini radios. It seemed expensive when compared to the other options, nearly 4 times the price of the Goodmans, including the PURE battery but no comparison at any level. The battery addition is expensive but remember that when the radio is plugged into the mains for use the battery is recharging in the background.
0Comment89 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2012
After just under 3 months of use this radio died on us. Could not switch off or change station. As registered with pure contacted them where they asked for us to send back the radio and charge pack (they said they would send a replacement for both). This cost over £8.00 to return and when replacement arrived the radio looked dirty with finger marks all over, no replacement charge pack was in packaging. Contacted pure who said they would send a replacement charge pack but when I queired the state the replacement radio arrived in I was told it was a refurbished radio (not a new replacement). Apparently after 2 months of purchase if the radio goes wrong you only receive a refurbished product.
55 comments88 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2012
Great little radio with a really good sound. Dd not realise though that a separate battery pack needs to be bought if you want to use it away from a power point. Quite tricky to attach and a further £20.
0Comment38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2012
The Pure One Mini II may be small but its sound will fill a large room. Not just that, the sound quality is very good too. You can attach an MP3 player to listen to recorded music without headphone as well.
on 28 September 2013
Shame you have to pay extra for the battery pack, seems pointless having such a small portable radio if you don't have a battery for it. However once purchased the battery is excellent. I was amazed at the quality of the sound from such a small radio, shame it does not come with an alarm feature.
on 9 June 2013
Software crashes frequently leaving the radio locked. Only solution is to remove batteries and reset losing all stored programmes. Called Pure but they were unhelpful. I would be reluctant to buy another Pure product after this experience
33 comments27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2012
Love it. Great battery life, great sound, can go loud, brilliant for camping. Bought rechargeable battery and lasts a good few weeks per charge.
on 22 September 2012
Great value radio, with a great sound given the size of the radio. Given as a present, and it is constatntly in use
Got this DAB radio for my Dad to use in his kitchen and it is fantastic.

Simple to set-up, basically plug and play and also sounds great for such a tiny little thing, I'm impressed!!

The radio is easy to use and uncluttered, comes with a separate power supply and simple instructions.

You can buy a battery from Pure to make this radio truly portable, but they are not cheapPURE ChargePAK B1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for PURE ONE Mini Radio

Decent quality finish, excellent quality sound, ideal for kitchen, study, bathroom(when used on battery)

If your new to DAB and want to DABble then this is little gem a good starting point.
on 26 December 2013
I received this as a Christmas gift and it's a very neat little DAB radio. On first use it self-tuned to many DAB stations without any problems at all and the sound quality is reasonable - much like an ordinary mono 'transistor' radio. I wanted it as I needed a portable DAB and this looked small enough to do the job. However, if you want it to be truly portable you need to buy the Chargepak B1 e.g. Genuine Pure Accessory - ChargePAK B1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for Pure One Mini Radio as an EXTRA and that will set you back an additional £25! You CANNOT run this off normal batteries, only the mains adapter/charger. Be aware!

UPDATE July 2015: I went ahead and bought the Pure ChargePak B1 to make this radio portable so I could site it in the bathroom. The rechargeable pack cost me an additional £28. It works OK and does free the radio from the mains BUT you also lose some functionality. When on battery power the display screen stays off to conserve power, so you lose the clock display. Also to save power when the radio's switched on the backlight goes off after a few seconds so you can't read that useful dispay of what's playing, etc. This means I can't see the clock or the display from in the shower. All very frustrating! Should have bought a cheap FM radio for a tenner!