on 14 July 2012
Hard to criticise. Organic, raw (ie unpasteurised which makes sure nutrients aren't killed off) almonds from Spain. Not sure why another reviewer thought they were bitter. They are sweet and wholesome - all you need to do is soak almonds overnight in water with a pinch of rock salt to improve flavour and digestibility. No complaints at all.
77 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2014
Bought 2 bags of these to make almond milk then use the meal in baking. The milk had a very bitter aftertaste after soaking over 12 hours - pretty sure these aren't raw as when soaking they hardly increased in size compared with previous batches from other companies. I've settled with a supplier that sells 1kg bags for £12.99 and the milk has no nasty after taste and the almonds plump up to a decent size.
on 21 January 2015
Lovely big bag of good quality almonds. I bought these because they are organic and from Spain. Almonds from USA are generally sprayed with too many chemicals and are not grown in a bee friendly way. (You can check this out in the film 'More than Honey'). As a natural top bar bee keeper I wanted a product which hopefully does not exploit the bees.

The nuts taste nice.
on 14 July 2013
The almonds are very "flat" so as for quality i say these are not the best and also some are so dry that you dont want to eat them.
The taste for the rest is fine but quality wise its lacking i would say.
on 9 July 2014
I bought these for snack and found that every second handful had at least one bitter one in it (sometimes more). Cancelled the Subscribe and Save as a result. Suma usually has great quality product, I am not sure what went wrong (I gave up after the third bag of almonds, so I suspect they weren't the same batch).
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 September 2013
Organic almonds have more depth of flavour so if you like the flavour of almonds, you should like these as they taste more almond-ey. We bought these for snacking on; for making raw date & almond snack balls; and for making our own homemade almond milk. The milk was consistently good, lovely and sweet with that slight nutty taste - miles better than the ready-prepared versions I've tried. I make the date & almond balls regularly and the Suma almond were just as good as other brands I've used in the recipe.

I wasn't as keen on snacking on the almonds and I think I prefer the organic almonds I've had from the supermarket. The Suma ones weren't bad to be fair, just a little strong and lacking a bit of crunch. You do get the odd bitter one but this is quite normal and in my experience, you'll get this regardless of which brand you try. What I did find though is that if you soak the almonds overnight and take the skins off, they taste a lot better. I've come across lots of info online which tells you to soak almonds (easier to chew & digest + easier absorption of nutrients)

To sum up: I would order these again as I especially like them for almond milk and for use in recipes. For snacking, they are ok but better when soaked. The 1kg bag feels like a good size as the 100g bags at the supermarket don't last long at all. The only thing is, once you open the bag, make sure you seal it up again or store in glass jars to maintain freshness or else they do go soft.
on 9 May 2013
I've been using these to make almond milk, smoothies and mixing with protein shakes…. I love the taste of these in particular. I've had very few bitter ones in this batch so quite often soak more than I need to just nibble on in-between meals! Great product.
on 14 December 2013
These almonds tasted off, suma, you need to change your packaging or check the nuts before you package them!! will not buy again.
on 31 October 2013
Most of these almonds in the bag were fine but I'd be happily munching away with a few in my mouth and would have to spit the lot out due to a very bitter one , my advice eat one at a time.
on 22 March 2012
Being used to crunchy and sweet almonds, these were a little disappointing. They were a bit soft and their taste was a little bitter, with about 1 in 30 being really bitter. However, I can see on Wikipedia that the rare very bitter ones are to be expected.

I selected the Suma almonds because of their low amount of carbohydrate (yes, low carb diet and all that), which might explain the softness and bitterness. Unfortunately the almonds I love have three times the amount of carbohydrate, so until I find another alternative, I'll stick to the Suma ones.

See one answered question