on 26 March 2014
I have to agree with others on here I work for the nhs and we have our own digital thermometers which prompted me to buy this as our work ones are pretty accurate. However the tommee tippee closer to nature is not so accurate as it likes to sell itself, like others have said the temperature reading is very sporadic going from 34c to 37.5c in my case on 3 tests which if you read the instructions it says take the test upto 3 times to give you an average but when you get one test that says 37.5 then the next one says 36.1 and the one after that says 34.5 then you switch to the other ear and get a reading of 36.5, 35.6, 34.3 you have to question how safe is the device to use?

I don't know how this device actually got so many people giving it 5 stars I would look for something else I even emailed the company 3 times asking about the device and their only response to me.was refer to the instructions in the manual.
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2013
Don't waste your money on the tommy tippee thermometer. Our little one had fever and we could not get an accurate reading. Even replacing the sleeves and battery still did not give an accurate reading. It gave us a reading of between 37.5 to 42. Dreadful product that is currently being replaced by something different.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Comparison with Braun Thermoscan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer

I have been using the Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometerfor 5 and half years now and have been really pleased with it.
There are a number of differences, but I would recommend either product to a new family.

Tommee Tippee Benefits
1. Speed of reading
The main benefit of the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Digital Ear Thermometer is that the readings are much faster and when you have a poorly child on your hands, often the last thing they want you to do is put something in their ear and then be told they have to stay still for a moment - there have been many occasions in the past, when I have had to take several readings as my child has pulled away and there has been an error in the reading.
The Tommee Tippee is incredibly fast - just pop it in the ear, press the button and a second later it beeps to confirm the reading taken, so it causes as little disturbance as possible to a poorly child.
The Braun takes a few seconds (I would say about 5 seconds), which is five times longer than the Tommee Tippee.

2. Light-up display
When you pop into your child's room and are trying to both comfort them and take their temperature or you would like to take their temperature whilst they are sleeping - this means that you can see the results immediately, without leaving your child's side or switching on the light. The Braun does not have this feature.

3. Ergonomic and stylish
Like many other Tommee Tippee products, this has been designed to be held. The curved lines make it easy to hold and pleasant to look at - the white and dark chocolate brown colours look very stylish too. The Braun by comparison is not so terribly designed, it isn't difficult to hold, but it does look like the uglier cousin.

Cons of the Tommee Tippee
A. No compartment to store hygiene covers
The Braun comes with a box, which it sits in, which makes it bulkier, but means that you can store the replacement hygiene covers inside the box and they are always close at hand. The Tommee Tippee just sits alone with a clear, hard plastic dome cover to protect the tip. If you don't replace the hygiene cover after the last use and you need to change before a new reading/patient, then you might have to scrabble round to find them. The only alternative, is to keep the cardboard box the product came in as the place to store tips and the device to replace them.

B. Hygiene cover
These come with a fitting device (a plastic ring), which helps you to replace the covers more easily. I don't have a problem with that, but the ring looks like it could be easily lost and the covers themselves are flexible very delicate looking - with a clingfilm-like appearance. The Braun covers are solid and rigid and are both easy to fix and sturdy.

I know for a fact that the Braun is reliable having used it with two small children from birth and I have never had any issues. However, the fast reading feature of the Tommee Tippee is enough to sway me to say this is my current preference.
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2013
Very difficult to get the temperature. I pull the ear back and place it correctly, as i did with my old thermometer and this one doesn't work properly. I get low readings every time.
on 4 April 2014
I have it and since I bought in 2012 never had the correct measurement. seems like everybody who takes the measurement has 35,4 'C!!! I would rather pay more money and have something what works!!
DO NOT BUY IT!
on 29 November 2015
Have it for around 4 years. Least accurate device I have ever had. Measuring temperature couple of times in a row would end up in results over 2 degrees apart.
on 15 January 2013
I'm a qualified nurse so used to taking temperatures on a daily basis. I have to say that this product is appalling, provides different readings every time which are completely different despite been taking minutes apart. I'm a first time mum so wanted reassurance but cannot rely on this product. Waste of money
on 14 May 2015
The fault lies with the battery, it's a big round battery. Therefore it moves when the device is picked up, causing this to read wrong or even turn off why ?? Was it even allowed to make the shelves ?. Why is no ones voice heard even for a brand as big as this, it's not what the public needs or wants why can't we all have our replacement for something that we pay for , it's our rights or is it not ??? Rubbish tack backed by trade marks ??why can this happen when will it stop ?. Enough of ripping the pop off ?
on 16 November 2013
This is not a reliable thermometer. When my child was poorly and had an obvious temp, I used this 4-5 times in approx 5 mins. The temp read between 35 and 39.4..... I have given the starts for the company who sold it as it was packaged well and delivered quickly.
on 2 April 2014
The title probably says it all. During a bout of very high fever, the thermometer kept giving different readings if it gave one at all. Most of the time it said 'error'. Have switched to Braun and it works every time in 2 seconds flat.