on 8 February 2013
I've uploaded a couple of pictures so you can compare the size of this to other kettles - also there's a picture of the assembly seam running along the inside of the handle.

It's going to set me back about 9gbp to return the kettle, so I guess I'll be hanging on to it, but it's really only to be used as a door stop. The sheer bulk of this kettle makes it difficult if not impossible to use for a number of activities. (Again see the pictures)

At the price, it's cheap - but it's cheap for a reason.. Personally I shant be expanding my York kettlebell collection beyond this one example.
review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2010
I work out with kettlebells. I enjoy it. The benefits are obvious and its enjoyable. As a result, I have a few kettlebells of various sizes. The York Vinyl kettlebell is the first time I have moved away from iron kettlebells, a mistake I will not make again.

Firstly, the size is an issue. Due to its large bulk, some exercises are difficult. The vinyl kettlebell is considerably larger than its iron counterpart. I am long limbed, but there are some exercises I will not even attempt with this.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, the vinyl kettlebell has a seam which runs aronnd the diameter of the weight. Initially, this is not much of a problem. However, after an intensive workout with this weight, you will inevitably have some unnecessary blistering to your hands. Blisters and freeweight exercise go hand in hand, but I fail to see the point in using a piece of equipment which will certainly aggravate this problem.

Finally, there are superior kettlebells on the market for a similar price to this one.

Dont consider this item. I advise anyone considering exercising with kettlebells to stick with cast iron ones ( Amazon have a few in a similar price range to this vinyl one ).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2011
If you are looking for a way to work out your whole body that doesn't take hours this is for you. You don't need a room the size of Wembley to use it either. Just push back the furniture a bit and you're good to go! Look out for a good dvd to go with it. Try Kettlebell Bootcamp. There is something for everyone in that.
on 22 November 2010
I ordered one of these after doing a few kettlebell classes at the gym.

In comparison to the more compact cast-iron bells, these vinyl ones are substantially bulkier. This isn't as noticeable when doing swings and squats but did make it less easy when doing overhead presses etc.

I'd also question how robust it is. The one that I was sent by Amazon was defective; the handle had split and the 'filler' was coming out. This may just have been unfortunate but given that these are likely to hit the floor occasionally, I'm slightly concerned. Btw, Amazon handled the return and refund without any problem.

I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a proper iron kettlebell which should be easier to use and more sturdy.
on 13 January 2010
as a beginner i wasn't sure of weight to use so bought 3kg and 6kg Yorkies
the 3kg i find heavy enough for now. They are great to handle, i have quite large hands and
the grip is wide enough, and comfortable, you won't need gloves!
Additonal bonus they were delivered the next day along with DVD to snow bound rural Cumbria!
on 29 November 2014
I own 8kg (orange) and 16kg (green) York Fitness kettlebells, as well as a more traditional 24kg cast-iron kettlebell. The 16kg plastic-encased York is about 40% larger than my plain 24kg cast-iron kettlebell. So it's quite bulky for kettlebell swings between your legs and I could see that being a problem if you are under 6' tall or have tree trunks for quads as you'd have to widen your stance quite a ways.

Bottom line: it's a great kettlebell in terms of having a comfortable grip with plenty of room for 2 hands, but it's far too wide and unwieldy for 16kg.
review image
on 8 December 2009
Nicely balanced, well designed handle. A good bit of kit even if it hasn't got the retro style of a traditional kettle bell
on 19 July 2010
I bought this as I wanted to try doing weight training as well as doing cardio, and heard that kettlebells are more effective than dumbells. So far it's been amazing - it comes with a fantastic poster which explains all sorts of positions and how to use the kettlebell, showing exactly how to hold it depending on which position you are doing so you don't hurt yourself. Very handy if you are a complete kettlebell beginner. You can really 'feel the burn' as you go through the routines and it shows really quickly. One of the best things about this kettlebell is that it's really fun and interesting - I usually hate exercising as I find it boring but I actually love using this, it doesn't feel like exercise! The only thing I would say is that if you're sweating then it does get a bit slippery but it's not a problem at all, nowhere near slippery enough to drop and I'm sure you'd find that with any make of kettlebell. Overall a highly recommended product!
on 11 July 2010
I love this item. It's very easy to hold. It looks great. This item comes with a very clear exercise guide which tells you to do 10 reps 10 times which i found quite grueling as this kettle bell is quite heavy to lift overhead or do stomach crunches with. I have quite good upper body strength but i have struggled with this weight. Exercising with this weight is very beneficial though as you break out in a sweat just after 20 reps and you do feel as though you had an intense workout. I couldn't get out of bed the next day due to feeling shattered with muscle fatigue. I soon overcame that and have continued with the exercises 3 times a week. You will definitely see results after 2 weeks if used regularly. I would recommend this product but start off with a lighter weight first just to get yourself familiarised with the item.
on 28 October 2011
Vinyl kettlebells may be okay at lower weights but at higher weights their shortcomings become more obvious. In this case the major problem is the moulding, with a raised edge on both the inside and outside of the handle that goes right around the whole of the kettlebell. This would not be a problem except that the weight of the kettlebell causes this raised edge to damage the user's palms. Although this problem is likely to arise when undertaking many exercises using heavier weights, this design just makes the problem far worse. I suspect that these kettlebells are popular as they are freely available on the highstreet, however I would encourage potential users to consider the more traditional iron kettlebells which avoid these sorts of problems, and will probably last longer anyway.