2,270
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red
Colour Name: Black/RedChange
Price:£34.96+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 16 November 2011
Nice set of cans. I once spent £90 on a pair of Shures only to find that they didn't sound anywhere near as great as expected so I'm no longer prepared to spend silly money on something that for hygiene reasons you can't really try before you buy. I've been through a few of the usual budget options: Sennheiser CX300 (pretty good), Klipsch X1 (not bad) and Skullcandy Titans (not great) and these SoundMagics beat them all hands down. They have a lovely, warm, powerful sound. Volume is good, bass is deep and rich but doesn't overpower the mids and treble, sonic detail is impressive across every genre of music I've thrown at them so far (everything from pre-war blues to filthy dubstep). I've only had them a few days so it's a bit early to comment on build quality but they seem nice and sturdy; the earpieces, jack attachment and the collar where the wires split are all metal and seem robust. Mine came with 7 different options of ear buds (rather than the usual 3 that most manufacturers seem to supply) which is great as finding the correct fit makes a big difference to the sound of in-ear 'phones. Tempted to buy a 2nd pair for spare.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 April 2014
The SoundMAGIC's exceeded my epectations in every way. Great value for money, Well built, Choice of 7 ear buds (take time to try the best fit because that really makes a difference), excellent tangle free cable, unbelievably small and light and with a hard shell carry case and most of all, sound like they cost 3 x the price. What's not to like!!

After reading the rave reviews and checking "What Hi Fi" tests I figured these headphones must be at least good value and sound reasonably good compared to the budget variety I am used to. I was blown away by how good they sound for the price, especially when you factor in the discount on RRP when bought on Amazon. If you are looking for a new set try these before splashing out £50+ on a premium brand.
The sound is precise at all frequencies, spacious, clear and Bass is natural. Switch on the equalizer if your device has one and these phones will deliver the same sound quality but biased to whichever setting you choose. In Google music player the equalizer setting "Normal" produces a much warmer and fuller sound with thumping or booming Bass, depending on the track, but still wih clear Midrange and sparkling Treble and same precision across the range. I'm hearing stuff in my mp3 tracks that I never knew was there, and by that I mean good stuff.
The only in ear phones I ever liked over the years were a pair that came with a "Creative Muvo" player years ago, unfortunately now in bits and replaced with various pairs of very average ones. I was about to invest £50 to £100 in another set of "Creatives" but am glad I spotted these. Pays to do your research I guess.

These earphones will deliver precision sound with whatever equalizer setting you prefer or a clean "reference" experience without.
on 6 June 2013
So I bought these a few weeks ago and have been using them a lot. In a word they are awesome.

The good points?

1. Rich, deep, bass. Sounds great with rock and metal. You hear people talk about buying great new earphones and all their favourite tracks sound different. The E10s will do that if you are coming from a budget pair - I heard greater depth, new words and minor variations in bass sounds I hadn't picked up on using budget (£40) Sennheiser's . Prior to that I had a pair of high range Skull Candy's I got in a 70% off sale. Those earphones were 5 times the price and sure, they sounded better than the E10s, but only just.

2. Robustness. These seem like heavy-duty earphones with a virtually indestructible cable and robust ear-pieces. After my Skull Candy's went gaga in one ear I ripped the cable from the connector all too easily. The E10s haven't tried my patience, yet, but they would definitely put up a better fight.

3. Practicality. For me the biggest point. I have had many earphones and all of them tended to slip just a little when moving around. The design of these buds means that most of the weight is resting on the ear and not on the cable, thus they tend to stay in place better. There is a also a simple little clip on the cable you can attach to clothing and a thing that adjusts the length of the cable between the ear piece and where the cable forks. All helps prevent shocks that may pull the earphone out of position.

4. Power. Unless you change the defaults, Itunes follows EU regulations to prevent possible ear damage. With these earphones, unlike any of my 7-8 previous pairs, it feels like the EU needs to tighten up those regulations. Never thought I would hear myself say that. I've always been a full power kinda guy.

5. Noise-cancelling properties. I wore these cutting the grass and while I could feel the vibrations through the handle of the mower, I couldn't hear the engine at all. I was using maximum volume at the time.

6. Delivery arrived within the specified window, package was in good condition

Possible Drawbacks?

1. Volume. Parts of your tracks will have a minor crackling at max volume, more so when you see how to increase the volume on Itunes beyond the factory settings. @ 95% volume there is no crackling whatsoever. This may be a positive though as 100% volume for long periods might actually kill you.

2. Cable. Cable is excellent but is a fraction on the short side if you are tall.
on 17 August 2015
So I have had these for over a year now, and they are still by miles the best pair of headphones I have ever used.

They have amazingly brilliant sound, and for double the money would still sound way better than you'd expect. But the sound isn't why I've decided to write this review. In the year and a bit that I've had these headphones, they have been shut in car doors, literally smashed open (one of the ear buds' guts leaked out :( ) and most recently, have been ran through the washing machine as I did my laundry, and they are 100% still fully working and sounding as good as they ever have.

For £35, I cannot recommend these headphones enough. Hell, for £70, these would still be a bargain!
on 30 July 2015
I discovered the E10 when reading a review for Shure headphones. The reviewer compared them favourably given they were significantly cheaper. He was right to and I've been impressed with both the sound quality, which is superb and the look of them. They also feel well made - the earphone body is made from aluminium and seems very solid.
The sound quality is the best I've heard at this price. Plenty of bass and lots of detail. The cabling appears to be strong a well made. The earphones seem like they will last for a good few years yet. The E10 fit well in my ear and isolate the sound well making them great for commuting - I tried all the tips and ended up going back to the medium size.
Overall this is a quality set of earphones that I can highly recommend.
review image review image
on 29 March 2015
Great audio quality, as good as the £80 Beats I used to possess (what a waste of money!). My only issue is it holds the folds (it doesn't tangle though) so there are slight folds in the wire as a result of storing it folded.
on 9 March 2014
First, I'm not a big user of earphones, so bear that in mind with my comments. I'm also a very late adopter of mobile technology. I eventually realised that I needed earphones to make better use of my recently acquired smart phone and I've always thought the 'speakers' on my iPad mini were tinny beyond belief. So I searched for recommendations on the web and these earphones were praised everywhere. Some reviews even suggested you'd have to spend 3-figure sums to get better sound. So I took the plunge.

APPEARANCE: They do look good. I know that shouldn't be a major factor, but the packaging, presentation and the 'phones themselves all contributed to a value-for-money feeling. Here they're described as 'silver/black', but there's no silver visible anywhere - they're a gray/black combination. Personally I find it attractive.

CONTENT: At this price I think I expected to receive a pair of earphones and nothing else. I was surprised, pleasantly so, to see what else was provided. There's a really tidy hard-shell storage case. It's about 2.5" square - jet-black with a bright red zip closure all the way round the middle. Inside, each half-shell has a mesh net pocket extending full-width and about half-way up its open height. Looks well constructed and very useful.
In one of the mesh pockets was a small SoundMAGIC spring-clip, presumably for attaching the earphone cable to a collar or other item of clothing.
In the other was a plastic bag with the writing
"SoundMAGIC
Ear hook
Comfortable rubber earhooks for cable back to ear"
Through the plastic I could see what turned out to be 6 different pairs of rubber tips for the earphones (different sizes and shapes) and what looked like a small pair of bent plastic rods. I assumed they were the 'earhooks'.
Surprise! When I emptied the bag, I got rubber tips, but it turned out the earhooks were actually an image printed on the clear plastic bag. Very strange. I still can't explain this. Nevertheless the different sized tips have provided me with a really comfortable fit, and I don't feel like I need any hooks or clips to keep them in place.

SOUND: The earphones themselves are surprisingly, to me, very good indeed. Since I got them I have listened to classical and jazz music, solo instruments and large ensembles, and the 'phones are genuinely very pleasing and satisfying. However, the cable is incredibly noisy! I don't know if this is a characteristic of all earphones of this type or only these. When I move around, or even just turn my head, the cable brushing against my clothes or head generates thumps and rumbles that are incredibly distracting. To get some idea of what I'm talking about and see if your own 'phones have the same issue try this test: pinch the cable at any point really tightly with one hand, using your thumb and one or two forefingers; now, using the other hand, flick the cable with your forefinger above where you've pinched it and again below where you've pinched it. I find these two conditions massively different. The 'below' flick causes no problems - all the cable vibrations and noise get trapped and damped out by my pinched thumb and fingers. But the 'above' flick produces a massive thump in my ears as all the cable noise is transmitted straight to me ears. It's as if the cables were acting as a microphone. It may be, but it's not clear, that this is exactly why the spring-clip is provided - to anchor the cable as close to your head as possible.

SUMMARY: Build, appearance, extras, basic sound quality, all seem 'good' verging on the 'excellent'. But until I've resolved this cable noise I can't say this will be my preferred method of listening. I'm happy to persevere because the positive impressions of everything else in this purchase make me feel there has to be a way around it.
on 5 March 2014
Like most in-ear earphones they come with a selection of earbuds to choose from. When you find the right set these are some awesome earphones, the noise cancellation is great meaning that you don't have to turn the volume too high and damage your ears. I regularly walk along a busy road in the morning and, with previous headphones, found myself having to turn the volume way up, especially when listening to podcasts. With these earphones I rarely have too, if I do, its only a small increase.

The sound quality is crystal clear, decent bass but if you are so inclined then you'd be better off with over-ear headphones.

With the earphones you get a small carrying case (black and red, pretty stylish), a set of earbuds and a removable clip that can attach to the wire and clip onto clothing and what not if you want to use these during sports.

The wire looks like standard cables but if you look closely you can tell that it is braided (which greatly helps stopping tangles) and sheathed in plastic (Which protects the braiding, giving longer life).

The earphones themselves as you may notice in the product photo have a blue band and band signifying left and right, respectively, which help you figure out which head goes in which ear and is immensely useful.

All of these little design choices come together to make a great pair of earphones that I'd recommend to anyone. They may be expensive but if you're going to be using them day-in and day-out then they are worth it.
on 7 February 2014
I cannot believe my weeks of costly search for a good upgrade from my standard apple earbud is finally over today. I can now conclude that the Sound Magic E10 is truly a great magical product. For its price, I cannot fault its asthetics, quality of the materials and packaging. It looks like it is a much more expensive product. More importantly the sound quality! Just sublime, no wonder the many awards it has collected!

I must admit being sceptical at first that an in ear speaker product at this price cannot be better than the long respected, established and more expensive Sennheisers, Beats, Sonys in ears. Yes I bought them first and discovered they are either too neutral, too tinny, too bright or just dull. I almost gave up in my search for a good in-ear speakers and about to opt for the on-ears which are much better bet in my mind to get better sound. I thought before I go for the on ears I'd better give myself a chance to try this much positively reviewed and acclaimed E10. After a couple of hours from the box, it is clear why these are much talked about and positively reviewed. Great clarity, rich and powerful sound and yes, the bass is fantastic! It is not audophile sound quality but for the money, I just cannot fault it. That will teach me a lesson not to discount cheaper unknown products before trying! This is now a brand I'd like to explore its other products in the future.

Try the E10s first before considering its much more expensive competition. You may be pleasantly surprised!
on 26 December 2013
When looking for in ear headphones, there are three things one should look at: the sound quality, the build quality, and the ratio of these two to the price.
It is unsurprising therefore that I have already three pairs of these headphones.

The sound quality is next to unbeatable for the <£100 price range for in-ears, with bass being punchy but not in your face, mids being warm yet clear, and highs being sweet and clear. The sound itself is very pure and undistorted, even at high volumes (tested on iPod touch, Google Nexus 4).

The build quality is where these earphones fall short. As I mentioned, I have been through three pairs of these headphones within the space of 2 years, amongst trying other, more expensive pairs of headphones. The buds themselves are very solidly constructed in a metallic housing, and do not feel cheap. The filters in the earbuds, however have the tendency to fall out upon the removal of earwax from them with a cloth. This means I now have no filters in each earbud meaning I do have to worry about dirt entering the drivers and possibly compromising sound quality and functionality. The wire is also a little on the thin side, and any more stress than a little accidental tugging at the headphone jack can cause damage which is difficult to repair. This the reason for which I have had to chuck out two of these pairs already: The wire is too delicate and not durable. On my current pair. the metallic tube covering the headphone jack has come loose from the glue, meaning when I am trying to unplug the cable from my phone, I often pull the tube accidentally up the wire exposing the whole headphone jack. I can only see this leading to more problems in the future.

But there must be a reason why I have kept coming back to these headphones? I have found that for my own tastes (Electronic & Trap music) these earphones sound brilliant. That is not to say that they do not suit other genres of music too, though. One thing I can promise though is amazing clarity, and for £30 there is not much more you could ask for!