Platform: Xbox 360 250GB|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:£182.85 - £312.99

on 6 August 2013
Bought for my son's b'day and he loves it. Set up in 10 mins and he was off and playing!

Also plays DVDs CDs etc which is handy as our DVD player recently broke. Runs very smooth and quitely.

Would recommned to all friends/family.
on 25 May 2013
Bought this for my daughter as a present, she had an old dated xbox which was over heating and made a lot of noise. This is both sleek and slimline, quiet and cool. Fabulous game play as per xbox design. One very happy daughter!
on 17 February 2012
Pros:
- Quiet
- Looks good
- Better ventilation
- More USB ports
- Smaller than the old system
- Includes WiFi
- Includes 250GB HDD

Cons:
- Vibrations when vertical
- No included HD cables
- No included ethernet cable

I got this XBOX 360 to replace my 4 year old 20GB console that was starting to have a couple of problems and had also been repaired once already. I needed the space and quite liked the design of the Slim when they announced it.

The console doesn't disappoint and delivers on pretty much everything Microsoft said. The impressive design of this 360 instantly hits you when you unbox it although I found that at certain angles it does look a little awkward due to having sharper and non symmetrical angles to the older XBOX 360. The design now looks and feels expensive, unlike the old consoles which felt like they were put together as an airfix model kit. The only thing I would say about the design is that I preferred it when it was in a glossy black, but at least with the matte black finish it doesn't get scratched or show any scratches.The touch sensitive buttons are a very welcome addition and work as expected, but the eject button is a little too sensitive and I find myself accidentally opening it at times.

As for ventilation, Microsoft have learnt from their mistakes. There's now a massive vent on the top side of the system (side if vertical) acting as the only air output vent meaning you can put this horizontally without blocking any important vents unlike the old system. There are two intake vents on the left and right of the system (top and bottom and bottom if vertical) and so far these seem to be working well, but the output vent does get very hot, very quickly. Like the old one, the Slim can be put vertical or horizontally, but I found it develops a nasty buzz when vertical (although this seems to depend on the surface its on).

The system is quiet when in use. You cannot hear it when idling on dashboard and in fact the power brick is louder at this point. When playing a game the system does get louder, but it still very quiet. It is not quite whisper quiet, but still very close. I did a test between this and my old 360 with the same game and the TV at low volume and was amazed at how loud the old 360 actually was. I could hear my game well with the Slim, even at low volumes whereas with the old 360 it was no easy task.

The inclusion of WiFi is also very good, although I have not tested gaming over this connection yet. The 250GB hard drive is also welcome so you can install your entire game collection and still have room for loads of downloads. The Hard Drive is now integrated into the ventilation which makes the unit a lot sleeker than the old protruding design. It is still proprietary though, which is a shame, but at least they give you a lot of space. You can also transfer your old Hard Drive from the old 360 to this one if you know how. The only thing I would say about the Hard Drive is only 227GB of it is usable and it is only 230GB total capacity. I know this space difference happens with any device with a Hard Drive, but a 20GB difference seems a little excessive considering the old 20GB consoles only used 8GB for themselves.

This review is starting to drag on for a bit so I'll wrap it up now. The 360 Slim is a great console and there is clear evidence that Microsoft has learnt from previous mistakes. Included WiFi, 5 USB ports, Kinect Adaptor and and optical out port make this console a lot more capable than the previous XBOX 360. It also appears to be a lot quicker in operation. It's able to keep itself cool (although the power brick does get very hot), is smaller than the old one and appears to be better constructed while giving you 250GB (227GB) to play around with. It's just a shame that no HD cables (only Composite AV cables) or ethernet cable was included, but if you have the old system this shouldn't be a problem. Great console and well worth the buy.

=== QUICK WORD ON THE PACKAGING ===
The packaging this was sent in was awful (or at least it was when it got to me, don't know if this is Amazon's fault or the fault of the HDNL courier). The box it got to me in was not properly sealed up at the top or the bottom. The bottom was taped, but not properly closed so you could see through to the invoice and the top didn't look properly taped and wasn't properly sealed. The whole thing looked like a makeshift job. I was not impressed.
1111 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2011
I only recently got myself an Xbox 360 and as this newer matte black edition was cheaper than the older shiny version (which quickly get smudged with finger prints) I decided to go for it, since it also had the 250 gig hard drive, which considering a lot of games ask you to install updates and such (Battlefield 3 has a HD texture pack that takes up nearly 1.5 gig on its own) is worth having. From using a Nintendo Wii for the last couple of years, starting this up was a revelation. Its a high-def experience from start to finish. The Xbox live experience is going to take some getting used to - it features places to download movies and all sorts. One downside is that to play games online you will need to get a gold subscription for about £40 and this is important - you CANNOT get the most out of this product without buying an HDMI cable - IT DOES NOT COME WITH ONE. Of course, you can get them on amazon for less than £2.00 and they work great.Wired--up v1.3A HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable for HD TV's/ Xbox 360/ PS3 I bought another one for my new blu-ray player.

I've been kind of limited to offline play with my new (new to me) games but experiencing the high def graphics has been quite an experience. The digital dolby sound on a lot of the games has to be heard to be believed. If you have an HD television you need a game system like this to get the most out of it, as long as you have even a passing interest in playing video games. £170 (bit less than I paid, actually) is quite a lot for a videogame console and you'd hope it would be a little cheaper as its coming to the end of its useful life span and is likely to be superceded with an updated xbox some time next year or in 2013, still for the visual experience and the low prices of some of the older games, its still well worth getting in to the xbox 360 while you still can.
77 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2013
I think this is my favourite Xbox and I would not want to swap it for the Xbox ONE at any given time.
on 3 June 2013
I purchased this for my 12 year old son's birthday. I haven't seen him since lol. He is a big gamer so he required the bigger hard-drive (4GB just doesn't cut it).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 November 2011
Contents:
- Console
- 250 GB hard drive
- Wireless controller
- Headset
- On-line game and entertainment service

Includes:
- composite AV cable (Standard Definition)
(HD cable (component or HDMI) required for HD video is sold separately)
- internal Wi-Fi capability
44 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2012
My youngest son bought this. It must be good because we never see him, he's always on it. Item arrived well packaged and was brand new. Was good value too compared to well known high street game shops.
on 20 March 2013
I bought this product as it was time to upgrade from my older console. It was purchased as pre-owned and allegedly had some cosmetic marks on it.... WRONG!!! It turned up in mint condition, fully functional, easy to set up and incredible value for the price. It does not get as hot as the older model, but then again I did buy an inter-cooler for it, which is a must have accessory for those who play for hours on end. The seller dispatched it immediately, and it arrived the day after it was ordered. Great job.
on 6 April 2012
Having sold my Xbox sometime ago, I was happy when it came to purchasing a new console that both the 4GB and 250GB now have a matt finish. Don't get me wrong, it's great having the glossy finish but it's a fingerprint and dust magnet!

In regards to the console itself, the new slim (S) 360 runs much, much, quieter than the original consoles back in 2005. Not only are they now quieter but they also use a lot less electricity, which is always a plus!

The console itself is very easy to setup and feels very robust. Included are:- A wireless controller plus (disposable) batteries, console, SD AV cable, headset, power brick and power cord. If you wish to get the HD experience, a HDMI cable will cost you extra but thankfully they no longer cost the earth. The touch sensitive buttons are great and add to the whole experience but the main attraction is upon starting up the console for the first time. First of all your greeted with a short but in-depth initial setup. This setup allows you to easily setup your console for use and introduces you to some of the great features that come with your Xbox 360. Upon compleation, you are greeted with the dashboard. My console came with the old dashboard with sideways cascading squares. This dashboard isn't the most user friendly but thankfully, Microsoft have released a new metro-inspired dashboard that not only is much easier and faster to use, it looks brilliant.

I would like to recommend every owner update to the new metro-inspired dashboard. You may do this via connecting to Xbox Live on your console or following the instructions found at [...]. The new dashboard is much quicker to use, includes many new and welcomed features and categorizes facebook, Sky, LOVEFiLM etc into a new App tab - awesome!

Of course, every potential purchaser should be aware in order to play games online and use some of the features, you must subscribe to Xbox Live Gold. The great thing is, if you setup a Gamertag (Xbox Live account) for the first time on your new console, you will get a month for free. There is always offers on Gold as well. At present there is an offer, offering 3-months of gold for just £6 (a 60% saving).

The graphics on games are mind blowing and the shear amount of content is immense! Most, if not all games have 5.1 surround sound too. There really is something for everyone on the 360. Other consoles such as the PS3 and Wii do have their strong points too but the 360 is a great all rounder and if you have children, Kinect is something you may also wish to invest in (but that's another review entirely!)

If your still unsure, I would suggest taking a look at some of the 1000s of games available and reading their reviews to help you make up your mind. If you do decide to purchase, I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the world of gaming and hope to see you on Xbox Live!