on 17 November 2011
In the box (besides the bike) You'll get an Allen-key, and an all-in-one screwdriver/bolt tightner thingy, which saved me having to root around in my toolboxes for the right gear, so that it self was a bonus with this purchase.

Three things I'd like to highlight to you all:

1st/ PARTS -
There should be no need to panic like i did about missing screws or bolts, like in the case for the saddle and the pedals, as the screws/bolts are already attached to the saddle and the pedals are one-piece screw in's =)

2nd/ SET UP -
It's simple enough, BUT, when you come to the part where you have to hook up the tension cable (steel wire) to base, my advice is to lower the setting to 1 using the black twist dial.
I got stuck for a while trying to stretch the steel wire by hand to connect it, and as much as I am strong, and it felt like i could do it, i finally had to concede that I'm not that able to beat the steel cable. So i had to call up and this is when i learned about lowering the setting to 1 via the black twist dial as it isn't mentioned in the instructions - instructions i didn't have to read until i got to that part =(

3rd and final/ COMPUTER -
At the back of the computer unit where you put the batteries in, the battery lid can fall inside the computer unit, so my advice be careful or use tape to secure it in a way that you only have to press it open and it drops down.
I have had the lid fall inside the unit, but it fell back out again before i could even turn it around to the back to look.

As for the computer it self, it's a basic LCD display with a one touch button change that takes you through all the various display modes.
There is a time feature on the computer, but i don't see the need for it and so there's no point trying to figure out how to set the time using just the one button, which would probably just annoy you, and it's your body which will correctly determine how long you can go anyway, not the clock.

The pulse reading feature seems to be ok, i have another CPU based device which accurately shows pulse levels and the bike's computer reading is close enough to trust. However, while the pulse reading is what i use most, it's the exercise we're after here and not the computer functions really - and the bike will certainly give that to you, IF you really want the exercise that is.

One feature besides the pulse which you might find helpful will be the distance reading, this is crucial for mental discipline, something a lot of people seem to be lacking in these days.

Set yourself some goals and make it happen!

So, knowing about lowering the tension setting to one to hook that steel wire up, full set up should only take around 5-10 minutes if you're doing it yourself like i was, going from unpack to full set up and using it.

I'm 6ft and ~16stone and a leg measurement of 34 and at the maximum height on the saddle setting I can operate the bike without any clearance issues.

I'm well built and i have had this bike at tension setting 8 which is the toughest it goes, and i have been really thrashing the bike by pushing myself to my limit of pain and for how long i can take that pain and i have to say the bike holds up nicely. - There's simply no other way to test than to properly thrash it!

The tension setting on this bike when at its maximum is bang on for the type of exercise you're doing, because with a bike, you're aiming for 'Toning and Endurance' for your leg muscles - do not expect to walk away from using this bike to end up with massive unnatural bodybuilders legs because NO BIKE will give that to you, for that you must hit the gym and push the weights, I know, because this is what I have done in the past.
Honestly though, you don't need to even use this at max tension setting. You could quite happily use this bike on setting one for a few months so as to teach your muscles properly (yes i said teach your muscles) before upping the settings and i would actually recommend doing this anyway simply for your heart and lungs to get a bit of love while not stressing your legs much at all.

There is 8 height adjustments on the saddle neck, and the settings are a cinch to adjust. So even if you're shorter than 6ft there's going to be a comfortable setting for you.

I actually do sessions with the saddle lowered to as low as i can comfortably do full cycles so as to get more work into my muscles (If you choose to do this, then please take it easy if you're tall and go slow-ish. (tearing quadriceps is not nice)

In regards to comfort - The saddle does have quite a good cushion on it, i can press my thumb into it a fair amount, but like most standard supplied saddles they become uncomfortable, at which time getting a cushion off the sofa would be a good idea, or perhaps investing in one of those fancy gel saddles the trendies bang on about - but I'm a bit of a tightwad with money, so the pillow/cushion option does me fine.

I easily give the Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike a full 5 stars here, it certainly performed under the punishment i gave it during testing and it's still going, and besides the priceless workouts you'll get and benefit to your health and fitness, you also get a LCD computer which gives you fairly accurate pulse readings etc, and for the current price of £90 it's certainly worth picking this up to use now.

It would also be a great and very thoughtful gift for a young teenager as well - get them off those games consoles for an hour each day!

If i had tried this at a friends house and never heard of it before then, i would have been expecting and willing to pay around £130 or so, and I would have felt I got my monies worth as well. Some people today don't realize just how precious health is until it hits them one day that their health is failing - don't make that mistake, do something about your health today!
3636 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2012
The product was easy to assemble once you mastered the instructions. Everything works and the machine is robust and stable in use. You do need a better spanner to tighten up the saddle nuts.
on 8 May 2013
I had to be very careful when getting a bike, so I looked for somtime. I am a disabled person with walking difficulties, so I needed a bike that was sturdy enough for me to get onto on my own, this is perfect, the feet give it good stability and I feel very safe getting on and off. The handle bars can be adjusted which is also a plus, I can move them while I get on and then when I need to get off. The size of the bike is perfect for a bedroom, and it had enough resistance points for you to go from very low to high if your health will allow. The only thing I would say is the foot straps are held together by velcro, it is strong enough to hold your foot in place, but for me the straps collapse when you've finished and this makes putting your foot in abit difficult, I solved this by placing shoes in mine to try to mould them into staying up and it works.
All in all a good buy, so pleased with it, as I nearly got one at double the price. This ticked all my boxes
on 26 December 2013
I was looking forward to getting my exercise bike. Disappointed to find on opening it on the Sunday before Christmas that a piece of plastic had broken off the body and that the nuts and bolts/spanner were missing from the kit. Contacted Amazon and, brilliantly, they arranged for collection and delivery of a new bike by Christmas Eve. Then renewed disappointment. The body was cracked slightly in precisely the same place as the previous one (looks to be something to do with the way it is packed). However, I decided not to bother about this since it does not affect the operation of the bike which is generally pretty sturdy. What has really disappointed me is that, although I am not exceptionally tall (6 feet), I find that I cannot extended my legs fully when pedaling. This makes any extended cycling quite unpleasant. I spent part of Christmas Eve trying to drill an additional hole in the frame so as to be able to raise the saddle - alas without success.
on 25 September 2012
I bought this exercise bike after rupturing nearly all the ligaments in my knee, I needed to get the strength built back in the knee to cope with the operation and this bike was perfect - good price, easy to build, adjustable and varing hardness in pedaling. Knee is now a lot stronger and would recommed to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
Having spent quite a long time assembling the bike I found that the tension control would not go lower than 3 and the pedal movement was jerky. Also one of the domed nuts had no thread cut in it.
On trying to get through to Customer support at Body Sculpture all I got was a recorded message advising the number was temporarily out of order and an E-Mail could not be delivered.
Fortunately Amazon promptly took back the bike and although I was offered a replacement I opted for the refund.
on 29 May 2014
I bought this bike 8 months ago and today it finally broke beyond repair. This is from about 2 hours use per week. It eventually started to wobble more from side to side and after unscrewing it I saw that part of the chassis had cracked making it unstable.

Other minor problems were it always squeaked when on the highest setting and parts of the digital display would become faint periodically.
on 13 August 2013
Bit of an upset bunny on this purchase.
1. Hard to assemble
2. Seat very uncomfy and calorie counter seems completely inaccurate, as been on 4 mins and already burned 450 calories this was on a low level notch and quite slowly peddling :(
3. Also does not seem to be as sturdy as a lower priced bike
Maybe we just got a dodgy one but not impressed at all :(
on 10 July 2012
I originally ordered another make/model but it had a delivery delay, so I decided, on reading the reviews to buy this bike, and I am delighted with my decision. Putting the machine together was easy enough, but follow the manual instructions, especially with the tension cable. Set the dial to 8 as requested and not '1' as a previous reviewer suggested. One problem I had regarding the Computer, connect the two cables as per step 7 in the instructions, and NOT connect the cables as per rear of computer, as it is wrongly marked. Performance wise it is very good and I find it an ideal alternative when the weather conditions prevent me from going out on my road bike. All in all I strongly recommend this exercise bike and DO NOT waste more money on a more expensive machine...Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike - Silver/Black.
on 20 July 2013
I have only just received this item, so cannot yet comment on it's performance. However, I felt I must respond to those reviews that mention the difficulty attaching the tension cable. I struggled to do it on my own, however as soon as I had someone to help, who could hold the front post upright, the connection slipped in very easily (the tension was set to 8 as per the instruction book, not 1 as recommended by some reviewers). It did not require a great deal of pressure or effort once the connection was held in the upright position. I hope this will help others in future.

As to the item itself, it went together very easily. The saddle is not the most comfortable and the poor quality of the saddle and pedals is disappointing by comparison with the rest of the machine.