Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1981]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£39.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 August 2014
A lot has been made of the cuts to the content of this DVD set and for a long time I resisted buying it as a result. However, I always found it a pain trying to catch repeats. £35 is not bad for over 41 hours of television and since I realized it's the best I'm going to get for now - I just thought "what the hell" and went ahead and bought it.

So let's talk about the cuts: As far as I can tell the only episodes that have SERIOUSLY been actually cut are "The Jolly Boys Outing" and "Miami Twice". Other than those two I can't say I really noticed any others. Contrary to what has been written - bad language has NOT been cut and neither has some of the more cruder humour. It seems that a lot of people who've written reviews haven't actually watched the set.

I googled what cuts had been made to the DVD set - and watched a lot of the episodes expecting a cut to come up... and it didn't! I really wonder where a lot of this information has come from.

In most cases when the rights haven't been available for music - it has been replaced with a similar sounding bit of music (Jaws and The Omen are replaced with sinister cues that get the same point across) and original songs have been replaced with cover versions (for example the version of "Our House" at the end of "Time On Our Hands"). Yeah OK - it's not the ideal situation but it could have been a lot worse! The comedy is not lost.

Generally speaking from what I can tell a majority of the episodes are uncut and I can tell you categorically that the second series has absolutely no cuts whatsoever.

With this being the case I believe it's perfectly reasonable to purchase this item at the current knock down price.

The cuts still lose my review a star - but having said that you still see Granddad smashing the wrong chandelier, you still see Del falling through the bar, you still see Del and Rodney running through the streets dressed as Batman and Robin and hear Del's bad french, hear him calling Rodney a "plonker" and a "tart". Let's face it - that's what you are buying this set for isn't it? It's all there, present and correct and funnier than ever. As a plus - the packaging is beautiful.

If you've got £35 going spare it's worth it and a nice thing to have in the collection. Don't pay any more than that though.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
948 of 1,007 people found the following review helpful
on 27 September 2007
I must say despite the excellent design the content is a huge disappointment. Why? Well like most people who buy this boxset we have already seen them in their complete and unedited glory on the BBC and now UKGold. Wouldn't it be great to have the same episodes to play whenever we desired at home. Think again. Countless episodes are edited to such an extent that dialogue has been cut, scenes have been deleted and musical scores altered. So much so that avid fools fans will watch with annoyance. The fact the BBC couldn't pay for the rights to play the original background music within scenes is criminal, they must have made millions from the Only Fools franchise.

If you have the time tape the episodes off UKGold. I still wait for the genuine complete collection.

*Update* In memory of John Sullivan, I've now re-rated this from 2 stars to 5. A comedy that will provide laughter to generations of people to come, what a legacy to leave. I just hope that should any tribute episodes be released in the future then they take onboard some of the editing issues, and ensure they are released the way John Sullivan wrote them, that would be the perfect epitaph.

**An updated er update** And so now almost five years after the first 'complete collection' was released, we now have a second 'complete collection', both of which are sadly 'incomplete'. To mark the 30th anniversary of the first broadcast of 'Only Fools' you'd have thought some effort would have been put into adding some extra morsels to tempt those who bought the first complete collection into forking out for the second. But no. In all that time, the maestros behind the BBC DVD releases, instead of mastering the musical copyright issues and other matters concerned with the infamous Fools edits, they were more concerned with what new shiny box to put the SAME DVDs in, to release to the great British public to mark this seminal moment.

Our greatest British sitcom deserved better. Do we really have to wait for the 40th anniversary complete collection, to see any signs of what the great British BBC licence fee payer paid for. A TRULY COMPLETE COLLECTON.
6666 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 August 2011
Terribly disappointing. If something is advertised as "complete", it should be complete. But this is not. The heavy edits remain, even though the BBC could quite easily arrange for the original episodes to be released as they were originally screened on TV. My message to BBC: release the original episodes, uncut; or stop putting out heavily edited DVDs and then calling them "complete".
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 November 2013
Lots have people have said the latest dvd box sets are infact incompete and edit yet are t retransmitted uncut on GOLD. The reason seems to be purely money. Gold pays the music license fee for transmition, BBC has a blanket music license to cover transmition costs but that doesnt cover sales. Having worked in TV I wo held guess that it wouldnt cost more than 100,000k to secure these rights and release unedited versions. A lot of money but a small price to pay for unedited versions of the uks finest ever comedy! That coupled with the fact that the BBC has already sold SEVEN MILLION copies of the dvds it is a disgrace. They've made their money back 100 times over... and all for a show that WE ALL PAID FOR ANYWAY!!! Sort it out BBC... and do not buy this until they do.
on 15 March 2008
It is astonishingly poor of the BBC to treat fans in this way. Cut down stories, poor editing, replacing the music. Not worthy of a great series.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 September 2014
I got this as a gift and honestly I never tire of the series it always brings a smile to my face so being able to re-watch those classic episodes as often as I want is a real bonus.

On the editing and cutting there are some episodes that have in my view mistakenly been tampered with references to Princess Diana gone in one episode, some soundtracks from the original broadcast have been changed (evidently due to licensing restrictions for the DVD release) in most cases this doesn't make a huge difference but expert Only Fools and Horses fans will notice the changes.

Miami Twice has had quite a few cuts though as has A Royal Flush some lines are gone and laughter tracks added, and the Jolly Boy's outing has sadly had an entire sequence removed in the nightclub when the song "Just the Way You Are" was being performed this does impact the episode quite significantly in my view. In other area some episodes have had no cuts at all so it's not likely to ruin the experience. There is a complete list of edits and cuts via Wikipedia if you wish to investigate this more

Onto the series despite this negative points above remains a true British comedy classic in every sense of the word. Rarely has a series been aired that connects with the public following the struggles of the Trotters, their misguided efforts and dealings. But always in a way which evokes fondness for both the talented cast and script. it is fair to say some episodes are stronger than others, a few of my favourite ones:

"A Touch of Glass": This episode is one of the classic comedy moments when grandad hits the wrong chandelier causing it to crash to the floor broken and smashed, I still remember the room erupting in laughter after this.

"Heroes and Villains": Having Del and Rodney dressed up as super heroes and turning up to a fancy dress party that became a funeral gathering.

"A Losing Streak": The classic Del v Boycie poker game where for once Del comes out on top!

"Time on Our Hands": Seeing the Trotters finally make it big and become millionaires can't be forgotten even if some feel the series only truly returned to form when they end up broke again

"Yuppie Love" Featuring the unforgettable Del Boy scene where he leans on the bar door that's open and falls straight through it one of the top comedy moments ever.

There are too many good moments to mention, but now owning this set well despite some of the editing on some of the episodes really is required for any comedy fan. This never gets old it just continues to raise the smiles even many years later.
review image review image review image
on 4 October 2007
I only give this 5* because Only Fools is a great British classic. As a previous reviewer says correctly it is incredibly frustrating that they churn out these box sets at christmas with half the decent stuff missing. The musical scores are not all there, scenes and dialogue frustratingly deleted. How much is it to ask for a truly complete box set, especially with how much it costs. I've already got all the dvds individually - whats the point of now buying this unless there is genuinly something new. I would also (although this will probably never happen) love to have Red Dwarf calibre extras. Those who buy the red dwarf series will know what I mean when you get an incredible amount of behind the scenes and other extras which are worth the money in themselves. Its a shame that the BBC is again trying to churn out another boxset with a different cover to milk this great franchise.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 May 2008
So disappointing, huge cuts, laughter tracks added, just ruined it for me. So annoyed while watching late one night went to the US site and bought the whole thing again, some edits still , not all the original music, but the Royal Flush seems pretty much intact which was decimated in this version. etc. Just beware you will need an NTSC player.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 November 2009
Like many people I'm in two minds about buying this due to other reviewers *negative comments about the editing so I decided to look into it further and found if you search "Only Fools and Horses DVDs" into Wikapedia it gives you a full breakdown of each and every edit including any deleted texts. Apart from the episode "A Royal Flush" most edits seem to be related to musical scores and nothing too relevant removed. If you can live with them this could still be a great purchase. Hope this helps. Peace.

* Worth noting a lot of negative reviews for this boxset are from people responding to other reviewers negative comments along the lines of "thanks for saving me money" etc so they obviously haven't viewed the boxset themselves.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 January 2009
As other reviewers have already stated, this is cut to ribbons and, as such, I would say it's pretty much a waste of money.

I'd just like to add, though, that the reviewer who states that the US version is not cut is completely wrong. I regret that I believed his review and bought the US one only to find that it is NOT complete. So, to anyone who is considering wasting money on the US box set, I just wanted to warn you before you part with your cash. Buyer beware!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...