Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 12 September 2012
2 weeks ago i bought the spitfire with my pocket money. so far i think it was an easy to assmble kit with only 36 parts.It didnt take long to build but it takes a while to dry. the painting is easy because it includes paints and dosnt have much to paint.the decals are sort of easy to put and you only have to wait 3-4 mins to dry.afterwards i hung my spitfire on the celing above my bed! overall i think this kit is for you if have just started making them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2015
I recieved this as a stocking filler and while it brought back memories of my childhood weekends I wasn't even sure I was going to assemble it as It's been a long time since I built an Airfix kit. However the quality and fit of the parts of this kit are superb, much better than those I remember from the 1970s and 80s. So good in fact many of the pieces practically hold themselves together. All in all I've spent about 6 hours over the holidays assembling quite a nice model using only the paints and adhesive included. I suppose It requires some patience (although the acrylic paints are much more immediate than the old oil based enamels) and a little care but the results and the process are very rewarding. Top marks to Airfix. There's no stand included (free to order online iirc) but you can also make the plane in a 'static' position if you prefer.
I can't recommend this kit highly enough, especially as it includes everything you need for less than a tenner.
Btw use some spirit vinegar to soften the decals once they've been applied; it'll let them cling to the surface detail rather than covering it up.
on 2 January 2013
My 8 year old chose this as an introduction to Airfix kits. We really enjoyed putting it together, but there were a couple of things we learnt.

1. The instructions don't make it that clear that you should paint the parts as you're assembling the model.
2. We managed to overlook the fact that there are detailed instructions on the back of the box for the painting.
3. A sharpened matchstick was very useful for applying glue to some of the finer areas.

Overall my son was delighted with it,and it was a pleasure to spend a couple of hours helping him put it together.
on 2 August 2014
I can think of anything better to give than someone's first airfix kit, or maybe an adult who wants to relive their childhood. It's a surprisingly detailed kit so beginners will have an easy time with the small number of parts but an expert can make this into a great model. To get the best out of the model you need a more variety of materials but a very good finish an be achieved with just paints included, the only fiddly part is the propellor which I managed to break but I think that's just me. A great gift for mature kids who have patience. I gave a similar kit to my 6 year old cousin and she had fun!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After a long break from Airfix kits, this is the first 1:72 aircraft I bought. I was dubious after building kits of quality such as Trumpeter and Tamiya, but seeing this on the shop shelf reduced to half price swayed me to give Airfix another go. I opened it expecting to find the same old stroy that Airfix seemed to be repeating with their 1:600 scale ships, just releasing the same standard kit with all the inherant problems they had on first issue in the '60's.

But I was wrong.

This is the new re-tooled Spitfire, and features a vastly imploved cockpit set up, instument panel, chair and internal cockpit wall details, panel lines that are indented and more up to date and comprehensive decal sheet, even the canopy has been improved to be more accurate. Sadly, the same awful paints are still being supplied with these kits, please, don not use them, go and buy the same colour number in Humbrol oils instead, the finish will be much better.

A real improvement on the original kit that I have previously reviewed, and hopefully better in fit as I have yet to build this version. A can recommend this version of the MKIa that is distinguished by this particular box art.
on 21 May 2013
I used to do these as a kid, and enjoyed them then - I can't find them now - which sparked a renewed interest 20 years later, confident that my abilities would have improved.
It's a lot harder than I recall, but that's not to say it actually is hard. It was simple enough to follow the instructions, and it is best to paint parts before you construct them - which can make it very time-consuming, especially as I was hoping to make my return to the modelling world a glorious example of how it should be done.
I have to say, my attempt is not a showroom example, but that is not down to the model kit.
Everything that should have been in there, was there, and there was ample glue and paint to complete the task.
I would advise (and will do next time) that you buy an undercoating spray, as the paints can go a little thin at times, and perhaps buy a very fine brush for things like the pilot and landing gear.
I will be buying another one and trying again though!
on 2 September 2013
I really love this Airfix Supermarine Spitfire. It was very easy to assemble and it came with paints and a brush which made it more exciting.

The reason why I gave this item five stars is because when it was fully assembled and painted it, and it looked so good and life-like.

I would recommend this Spitfire to anybody who loves building them and has many hours of fun. I loved building this kit and I had many hours of fun.

Thanks to the seller who sold me this kit.
on 13 September 2015
This was my second purchase of a airfix starter kit plane model. The first model I got was a mk1 hurricane. Just like the hurricane, the spitfire came with the same colours and was delivered on time, however. Although the planes are lightly similar, the models assembly very differently.

In the hurricane set the wings are in two pieces, the top half and the bottom half, with the spitfire they are in three pieces, the main bottom body and the left and right ends of the wing, it was difficult to get the main body of the plane onto the wings as the ends of the wings left little room for the main body to slot perfectly in. The ends of the wings were glued in the right place but the only way to get the body onto the wings was to take the end of the wings off.

Now the bottom of the plane looks horrible. Another issue with it was the cockpit. There are just too many parts for a little thing that no one will see and the dome door does not fit into its slot properly.

Also the instructions are very vague. The hurricanes was in more steps but the spit fire is in just six.

I didn't have any problems with the hurricane and was hoping the assembling would be similar. I won't by another spitfire but I do want to buy other models, I just hope it won't be as annoying as this
on 10 December 2013
Ordered this for my Grandson for xmas, he is know into making model aeroplanes so I hope he gets alot of pleasure on making this.
on 12 September 2012
I bought this kit to enable me to get my 10 year old Grandson started on building model aircraft. We have not built it yet but kit appears to be upto the usual high standard provided by Airfix. Well produced and good value as paints are included. Good prompt delivery by the vendor.