on 6 October 2011
I neededed a well overdue replacement for my old Braun series 4000 shaver and this Braun series 3 380s-4 looked good value at the discounted price. I am still baffled by all the model identification numbers that Braun use - it must be a tactic to make it difficult for the consumer to compare different models. Anyhow this shaver does definitely produce a smooth close shave with no irritation and is a far better shave than with the old model. Having a somewhat angular face I was concerned about the abilty to follow face contours and shave closely - and for this reason considered a Philips shaver. My concerns were not valid as the Braun Triple Action FreeFloat system works really well in difficult areas. The balance and weight feels good and noise is quiet and assuring. Moustache trimmer is very easy to use. Overall I am very impressed with this shaver and would recommend it.
on 5 September 2012
I`m nearing 80 and have never EVER shaved with a blade, so I cannot compare the Braun to the 'ultimate' experience!
For the last five years,I shaved alternate days with an old Philishave rotary and a Remington foil. Tapping out the heads each day, it was noticeable that the Philishave gave a closer shave than the Remington, but was much slower.Also, by alternating the two types, the foil picked up odd hairs missed by the rotary and vice versa. The Remington finally started to play up and I looked for a replacement. Not wanting to spend a lot, I hoped to get an old, discontinued foil type for about £40. After reading all the reviews and realising that my shavers have lasted at least 5 years ,I decided to take the plunge and buy the 380s-4 for £75, which was half the price wanted by Boots! What a revelation. I had no idea that shavers had improved so much over the last few years. Fast, quiet,comfortable and with a sturdy carrying case. This is the best shaver I have ever owned, by miles! Wonderful product and has my highest recommendation.(for what that's worth!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
I have had a number of electric shavers over the last number of years,mostly Philips.They did not give a particularly close shave
But they were good enough if I wasn't going anywhere special, in which case I would use a wet razor.My biggest problem with Philips shavers was the fact that they always nicked my skin, worse than a safety razor.
I have been using the Braun 380s for a few weeks now and I can honestly say that I am 100% satisfied.I use it dry and it gives me a really close shave with no nicks or irritation. It only take me a few minutes to shave, unlike the Philips that took ages.
Charging is quick and easy,and it lasts a long time between charges.
I can fully recamend the Braun series 3 380s-4.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Changing shavers is never easy. Having used it every day I had formed an attachment to my previous one, which is not surprising when I read that it has probably shaved the equivalent of five football pitches (I wonder how they arrived at this statistic? I spent an happy ten minutes imagining the look on Sir Alex Ferguson's face if the test pitch had have been Old Trafford).

The change to this shaver though was relatively easy. My previous shaver had been a rotary head model but having had a Braun foil shaver before I was not inexperienced in using one, but even after only one shave using this one a could tell that this was a far superior model; it seems that shaver technology keeps going forward.

With a cool blue inlay on the traditional black exterior the Braun Series 3 380s-4 certainly looks good, and it also feels comfortable in the hand whilst shaving, quite light but not overly so, and is nicely balanced. On turning the shaver on I was immediately aware of how fast and powerful it felt, certainly much faster than any shaver I had used previously. Most importantly though, this shaver gave me a good, clean shave and it did it fairly quickly. When using a electric shaver I am used to having to go over the same area quite a few times before I was satisfied as much stubble as possible had been removed; with this shaver I found that I don't have to so this anything like as much. Also, when using my previous shavers I had got into the habit of `finishing off' with a cheap disposable razor, because invariably there would be a few stray hairs that the shaver had not removed completely. I haven't had any need to do that when using this new Braun shaver yet though. I particularly like the precision setting which, on the clicking of a switch, retracts the central trimmer and one of the foils, thereby allowing you to get to difficult areas, like under the nose, with relative ease. Another feature it as is one that I haven't tried yet - you can use it in the bath or shower. Overall it gives a smooth yet really effective shave; I have fairly sensitive skin but I haven't had any problems so far after using this shaver.

It comes complete with a sturdy, rigid sided carrying case, shaver oil, a cleaning brush and the sockets and cord required for charging.

A full charge will allow you to shave for about 45 minutes, which although not as much as some shavers, is compensated for by the fact that a full recharge will only take an hour and a quick five minute charge should allow you to have a full shave.

To get used to it, I have used this shaver a few times now and I like it. I would never say that I enjoyed shaving, as shaving is one of those boring thinks that a man just as to do, but this Braun shaver allows you to get it over with as quickly and efficiently as possible.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always been a Philips man and have always used rotary shavers but thought I'd give this a try on the advice of my father who always uses foil shavers. It was a bit of a different feeling at first having been so used to rotary shaving all these years but I'm slowly getting used to the way this shaves. I like the way the the foil heads are all independent and adapt to the contours of your face.

By and large it gives a decent enough shave but I don't think it's quite as good as my Philips. It's difficult to tell at first but throughout the day you notice it more and more, particularly towards the end of a working day when you look in the mirror. I like the idea of using it in the shower too as I prefer being able to use my electric shavers with some sort of gel as I find a dry shave can burn and irritate my skin. So hats off to that feature and the fact that the shaver is easy to clean.

Overall a decent shaver but I do feel that it doesn't give quite as close a shave as I would have liked, but everyone's different I guess.
on 15 July 2013
I bought this shaver based largely on reviews and wanting to try something different from the rotary shavers I've used for years. This model works well, I have no issues with its performance. The only negative I have found so far concerns the mains cable. When used via the stand the connection is fine and all is well. But if I have to take the shaver on holiday for example and want to be able to charge it, I don't really want to have to take the charging stand as well. But the mains lead is a very loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver. If I hold the shaver upright with the mains lead connected, it simply falls out - there's no click fit or mating action. It does charge though, so I guess I just have to be careful when connecting it and making sure it doesn't get knocked.

One question - should the shaver have a plastic cover to protect the foil? Mine didn't come with one. A friend has a slightly earlier model and his came with a protective cover but no carry case.

Update: my criticism about the cable being a loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver is unfounded. It just needs a firm push - I was being too gentle for fear of damaging a new product.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have used many different types/makes of shaver and have quite a sensitive skin but I am pleased with the results I've achieved with this Braun 380s shaver. It has all of the core features that you need on a shaver and none of the superfluous ones found on the some of the "top of the range" versions. In the box you get the shaver, charger/mains adaptor (this has the UK bathroom legal two pin type plug rather than square pin 13 Amp plug); cleaning brush; blade cover (this is easy to miss as it is wrapped in the protective sheeting) and instructions plus case. The 380s-4 differentiates itself from the 340s-4 by the fact it has a three stage LED battery indicator and comes with a travel case.

The Braun Series 3 380-s4 shaver provides around 45 minutes shaving time which for me is about a week to 10 days worth from a single charge. The charging time is about an hour, although, Braun recommend the first charge (or if you haven't used the shaver for a few months) is around four hours. The batteries are Lithium Ion which tend not to suffer from a memory effect and hold their charge longer. A three stage LED charge remaining indicator is provided. An LED will also remind you when the cutter cassette replacement is necessary. The on/off switch is decisive and there's a handy long hair trimmer for sideburns, moustache or a beard - it simply slides into position.

The shaving performance is very good resulting in a smooth, clean shave without irritation to the skin. The shaving head is formed of three elements - two foils and a cutter. The triple blades are nicely sprung and follow the contour of your face which may explain the ultra-smooth shave. The long hair trimmer which clicks into place is also effective at cutting stray hairs and sideburns etc.

Braun have also got the ergonomics just right - the shaver fits your hand nicely and is well balanced - it feels like a quality product. The fact that that the Series 3 380s is also fully washable means you can use the shaver in the shower and rinse the head after use under the tap - although this is common now, I'd be reluctant to buy a shaver that didn't sport this feature. The travel case is a welcome extra which isn't standard in this sector.

In summary, I think this quality shaver excels at its core function of delivering a smooth, clean shave without skin irritation, plus, it also has all the essential features you could need at a reasonable price. Recommended.
on 29 July 2014
I received this Razor (Braun 380s-4) last week from BzzAgent, and am very impressed.

Firstly, the product packaging is compact, light and easy to get in to.

This model is slightly higher spec than some others in the Series 3 range - it comes with a travel case (handy for protecting the foils/cutting head) and a charging stand. Also included in the package in instruction leaflet / warranty information, charging cable and cleaning brush.

The charging cable is coiled and a decent length. It plugs into the charging dock for convenient charging at home, or can plug directly in to the bottom of the charger. An hours charge gives more than enough power for a few days use. If using the razor for a dry shave, you can run the device directly from the cable, however, and obviously, this can not be done with a wet shave. My old razor (a Philishave) had a smaller, less bulky power cable, but on reading the printed information on this cable I realised that the Braun only send 12v to the razor for charging as opposed to the full 240v on my Phillips. Which in my view is much safer!

Now to shaving. The foil system gives a close, neat shave and has left my face cleanly shaved and less itchy than the old Philishave. The first day I used it as a dry shaver, as having being my first wet&dry shaver I wanted to get used to it first! Because of the Brauns straight cutting area, you tent to shave in a more traditional straight line method as opposed to small circular motions that you would do with Philishave products. This suits me because its so much easier to remember where youve been!

The next few days I shaved in the shower. Again, straight forward to do, but with the added benefit that the water and soap in the shower made for a much easier shave. I can honestly say that I am now converted to wet electric shaving. And, as the saying goes, I can kill two birds with one stone by shaving whilst washing myself down! There is also a pop out sideburn trimmer for fully finishing off the job.

After shaving, the device is easy to clean. The head clicks of and if dry can be dusted down ti the included brush, or can be rinsed through with water. Because the system is designed for wet&dry use, you don't have to let it dry before re-assembling. The head can go on the device either way round.
on 11 September 2012
After 25 years of wet shaving with blade, I started getting razor burn! After some research it became clear that I needed to switch to an electric razor, and yes it does solve the problem, quickly.

I tried an electric razor in my early 20s and found it chafed my skin and did not do a great job, so I set about researching in earnest. Most electric razors did not review well as there was generally a major flaw in the build quality or quality of shave. And then I came across the Braun 380s.

Yes, I find it does operate best when used with water (a dry shave is not as close and it also chafes the skin), however I do not shave in the shower and I do not use shaving cream - just does not seem appropriate with this razor.

I found that applying my normal moisturiser, letting it soak in and then simply wetting the razor head in a basin of warm water gives me an incredibly smooth shave, being able to go over a spot in various directions without any irritation/burn and then I occasional rinse the head under water in the basin, shake off excess and continue. I shave my whole head this way and end up with a much smoother shave than the wet razor was ever able to do as I never went against the 'grain'. Now, when I rubbing against the grain after a shave, I feel no left-over beard. In fact, the shave is so close I am able to shave in the evenings and have it last all the next day!

Yes it takes a few minutes longer, but the result is worth it, AND NO RAZOR BURN!

I hardly ever write reviews, but wanted to be able to help someone else in the same situation.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't used an electric razor for years, I have a dark beard and I tend to get 5 oclock shadow at about lunchtime and find that a wet shave is usually both faster and more effective. I had been going through a period where I seemed to have developed an amazing ability to cut my skin though whilst leaving the beard intact and this prompted me to look at an electric razor again.
This is an attractive model and it comes with a nice carry case, cleaning implements etc. Like most razors it didn't come with an adaptor and I had to spend a couple of days hunting one down. On the plus side it appears to charge quickly and is easy to maintain.
On the minus side though it still takes longer than a wet shave and the results appear to me at least patchier and not as long lasting. So in a nutshell an attractive razor, but with many of the usual drawbacks that I find with similar products.