on 5 September 2012
I`m nearing 80 and have never EVER shaved with a blade, so I cannot compare the Braun to the 'ultimate' experience!
For the last five years,I shaved alternate days with an old Philishave rotary and a Remington foil. Tapping out the heads each day, it was noticeable that the Philishave gave a closer shave than the Remington, but was much slower.Also, by alternating the two types, the foil picked up odd hairs missed by the rotary and vice versa. The Remington finally started to play up and I looked for a replacement. Not wanting to spend a lot, I hoped to get an old, discontinued foil type for about £40. After reading all the reviews and realising that my shavers have lasted at least 5 years ,I decided to take the plunge and buy the 380s-4 for £75, which was half the price wanted by Boots! What a revelation. I had no idea that shavers had improved so much over the last few years. Fast, quiet,comfortable and with a sturdy carrying case. This is the best shaver I have ever owned, by miles! Wonderful product and has my highest recommendation.(for what that's worth!)
11 comment183 of 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2011
I neededed a well overdue replacement for my old Braun series 4000 shaver and this Braun series 3 380s-4 looked good value at the discounted price. I am still baffled by all the model identification numbers that Braun use - it must be a tactic to make it difficult for the consumer to compare different models. Anyhow this shaver does definitely produce a smooth close shave with no irritation and is a far better shave than with the old model. Having a somewhat angular face I was concerned about the abilty to follow face contours and shave closely - and for this reason considered a Philips shaver. My concerns were not valid as the Braun Triple Action FreeFloat system works really well in difficult areas. The balance and weight feels good and noise is quiet and assuring. Moustache trimmer is very easy to use. Overall I am very impressed with this shaver and would recommend it.
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Changing shavers is never easy. Having used it every day I had formed an attachment to my previous one, which is not surprising when I read that it has probably shaved the equivalent of five football pitches (I wonder how they arrived at this statistic? I spent an happy ten minutes imagining the look on Sir Alex Ferguson's face if the test pitch had have been Old Trafford).

The change to this shaver though was relatively easy. My previous shaver had been a rotary head model but having had a Braun foil shaver before I was not inexperienced in using one, but even after only one shave using this one a could tell that this was a far superior model; it seems that shaver technology keeps going forward.

With a cool blue inlay on the traditional black exterior the Braun Series 3 380s-4 certainly looks good, and it also feels comfortable in the hand whilst shaving, quite light but not overly so, and is nicely balanced. On turning the shaver on I was immediately aware of how fast and powerful it felt, certainly much faster than any shaver I had used previously. Most importantly though, this shaver gave me a good, clean shave and it did it fairly quickly. When using a electric shaver I am used to having to go over the same area quite a few times before I was satisfied as much stubble as possible had been removed; with this shaver I found that I don't have to so this anything like as much. Also, when using my previous shavers I had got into the habit of `finishing off' with a cheap disposable razor, because invariably there would be a few stray hairs that the shaver had not removed completely. I haven't had any need to do that when using this new Braun shaver yet though. I particularly like the precision setting which, on the clicking of a switch, retracts the central trimmer and one of the foils, thereby allowing you to get to difficult areas, like under the nose, with relative ease. Another feature it as is one that I haven't tried yet - you can use it in the bath or shower. Overall it gives a smooth yet really effective shave; I have fairly sensitive skin but I haven't had any problems so far after using this shaver.

It comes complete with a sturdy, rigid sided carrying case, shaver oil, a cleaning brush and the sockets and cord required for charging.

A full charge will allow you to shave for about 45 minutes, which although not as much as some shavers, is compensated for by the fact that a full recharge will only take an hour and a quick five minute charge should allow you to have a full shave.

To get used to it, I have used this shaver a few times now and I like it. I would never say that I enjoyed shaving, as shaving is one of those boring thinks that a man just as to do, but this Braun shaver allows you to get it over with as quickly and efficiently as possible.
11 comment199 of 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
I have had a number of electric shavers over the last number of years,mostly Philips.They did not give a particularly close shave
But they were good enough if I wasn't going anywhere special, in which case I would use a wet razor.My biggest problem with Philips shavers was the fact that they always nicked my skin, worse than a safety razor.
I have been using the Braun 380s for a few weeks now and I can honestly say that I am 100% satisfied.I use it dry and it gives me a really close shave with no nicks or irritation. It only take me a few minutes to shave, unlike the Philips that took ages.
Charging is quick and easy,and it lasts a long time between charges.
I can fully recamend the Braun series 3 380s-4.
0Comment54 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I tried out this product on 4 days of growth, and was suitably impressed with not only the fact that I did not end up with pulled, irritated skin, as has been the case in the past with electric shavers, but that it produced a close enough shave that one 'go' was enough. With a wet shave I would normally go over my whole face twice, but just the once did the job perfectly well.

Its shape made it easily to handle and it was light and compact, but I'm not 100% sure about using it in the shower, in case it slipped out of my hand, as it's an expensive toy at the price.

Overall, it is possibly the best foil shaver that I have used, but would I pay this price for it myself? No, as the RRP is not worth it for any shaver IMHO. Yes, it does a great job and I was delighted to get it on amazon vine, but I could never have justified the price if I had bought it myself.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't used an electric razor for years, I have a dark beard and I tend to get 5 oclock shadow at about lunchtime and find that a wet shave is usually both faster and more effective. I had been going through a period where I seemed to have developed an amazing ability to cut my skin though whilst leaving the beard intact and this prompted me to look at an electric razor again.
This is an attractive model and it comes with a nice carry case, cleaning implements etc. Like most razors it didn't come with an adaptor and I had to spend a couple of days hunting one down. On the plus side it appears to charge quickly and is easy to maintain.
On the minus side though it still takes longer than a wet shave and the results appear to me at least patchier and not as long lasting. So in a nutshell an attractive razor, but with many of the usual drawbacks that I find with similar products.
0Comment56 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having previously used other smaller portable battery Braun shavers and finding them perfectly fine for travel and daily use, I was sceptical that there was any need the additional features that come with the 380s. The dual foil with sprung operation and adjustable precision settings might sound like unnecessary features, but they really do serve a function and prove to be very well designed. A simple glance in the mirror will show that the sprung foil does indeed mould itself to the angles and contours of the face, the adjustable height of one foil providing an additional angle that does actually allow for a close, even shave. Evidently, you would expect this to be the case with a brand new shaver, but even after several months of daily use, the benefits of this design are still evident. The long-hair trimmer is also very effective and cuts neatly.

As far as actual shaving goes then this is a very good product, but it there has been thought put into the convenience of use. Battery charging is fast and it lasts a long time. After the initial recommended full 4-hour charge, the shaver can be fully charged in an hour and that will last two to three weeks used daily. Indicator lights will tell you when the shaver needs recharged, but should you still get caught out - it's never happened to me yet even with continual daily use - there is a power supply cable with stand included for recharging (standard two prong that needs adaptor or appropriate outlet) and even a quick 5-minute charge on the stand will provide all the power you need. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a discharged shaver, and this ensures you never get caught out.

There's apparently another indicator that will come on after 18 months to warn you that it's time to change the foil and blades which is a useful reminder to keep the shaver in top shape. Being used to more trim models, the 380s seems a little bulky in size to me, but it's a solid product that is built to last. The shaver also comes with a sturdy carry case. In just about every respect, this is a fine electric shaver, well designed with good operations for the closest possible dry shave.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been plagued by shaving rash for many years now, and have tried various methods and creams to reduce or get rid of the problem. The best method is to use a high quality 5 blade wet razor and change the blade 2 or 3 times a week. However, that gets very expensive so I have tried a number of electric shavers. Until this one all of them have been of the rotary type, and generally I have been happy with the results. The only problem was that after a long weekend it would take me ages to get rid of the longer hairs and usually had to resort to a wet shave on a monday.

All that is now in the past with this shaver. The thingy in between the foils cuts the longer hairs with a minimum of fuss, and although it is not as speedy as I would have believed it is still much faster than my rotary devices. As with any electric the best results are obtained by shaving every day or every other day and not letting the hairs get too long. I also read in the instructions on one of my older shavers that you should allow a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to a device, and this seems to be the case here. The longer I use it the faster and smoother the results are. In fact I have had it for about 3 weeks now and not touched my wet shaver at all. And no shaving rash!

You can use the Braun dry before a shower, but I have had the best results using a bit of normal shaving foam in the shower and wet shaving with it. A very surreal experience at first but one that has reaped good results.

Although this is quite a lot of money to lay out initially, with the price of blades for wet razors nowadays this will pay for itself many many times over.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having not been particularly impressed with the S-340Braun Series 3 340 Electric Rechargeable Wet & Dry Male Foil Shaver, I decided I would give this a go as I was still using a normal Gillette wet shaver.

Although based on a similar technology to the 340, this is a definite improvement and worth the extra £25.

It charges faster, it comes with a nice travel case (which the 340 doesn't), it is quieter and even more effective than the 340.

It still takes me longer to shave using this and the shave doesn't come as close as with my Gillette so I tend to use my Gillette once I have a reasonable amount of growth.

If I have just some light stubble and need to look smart for a meeting then this does the trick perfectly.

So if you are trying to decide between the cheaper 340 and this slightly more expensive model, the 380 is definitely worth it.

Hope that helps.
44 comments62 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2013
I bought this shaver based largely on reviews and wanting to try something different from the rotary shavers I've used for years. This model works well, I have no issues with its performance. The only negative I have found so far concerns the mains cable. When used via the stand the connection is fine and all is well. But if I have to take the shaver on holiday for example and want to be able to charge it, I don't really want to have to take the charging stand as well. But the mains lead is a very loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver. If I hold the shaver upright with the mains lead connected, it simply falls out - there's no click fit or mating action. It does charge though, so I guess I just have to be careful when connecting it and making sure it doesn't get knocked.

One question - should the shaver have a plastic cover to protect the foil? Mine didn't come with one. A friend has a slightly earlier model and his came with a protective cover but no carry case.

Update: my criticism about the cable being a loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver is unfounded. It just needs a firm push - I was being too gentle for fear of damaging a new product.
22 comments19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse