VINE VOICEon 14 November 2011
Bought this back in June (so now 5 months old)and it's been faultless. While this should be unremarkable, I've owned other drives that have failed within a month or two (note: most recently 2 WD Scorpio Blue drives, which I recommend avoiding).
It's also very quiet for a 7200 rpm hdd.
on 15 July 2012
just installed this into the superdrive by of my late 2009 macbok pro 13" with one of the cradles available on this website, like myself, for those who are not ust to installing hard drives, in order to formatt an unformatted drive, go to disk manager, select the drive form the list on the left, and erase the drive, not the most obvious way to format a drive, and suprised there was nothing labeled "format" shame i didnt have the courage to clone the original hard drive (wich is still in the propper hdd bay) as i imagine the extra 1800rpm on the new drive would give it a far faster boot up time.
on 6 October 2012
Bought this as a replacement of a western digital 320GB hdd for my MBP, because WD started to have physical errors.
Both the WD and this Toshiba are running at 7200 RPM, but Toshiba is extremely quiet, whereas WD was pretty noisy.
I could have went for a bigger size Seagate or WD hdd - 750GB or 1TB, but I wanted a reliable hard drive and Toshiba HDDs never disappointed me before.
So far I'm very pleased with this Toshiba 500GB HDD, works great.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2012
I've ordered this hard disk to have more space for saving and rendering videos and for playing video games. I had the chance to try the previous version (5400 RPM) as I played "Dirt 3" and you really can tell the difference between the 5400 RPM version and the 7200 RPM version. Mind you, this is my experience and it might have different results for other users.

During my usage the "loading..." screen took noticeably more time at 5400 RPM than it did with this hard disk at 7200 RPM (around 3-5 seconds).

I'd recommend this hard disk if you want to have a mildly fast hard drive but you are not ready to invest in a solid state hard disk drive.
on 28 November 2012
I have an old'ish 3-year old Toshiba Equium P200D-139 which came with 2GB RAM and a small HD of just 80GB. The small HD wasn't initially an issue as I have other machines with 500GB and separate back-up drives, but recently I've been using this machine more for its 17.3" screen which is ideal for my lap to work in comfort on my digital images .

Looking for new 17" machines I soon realised that I'd be paying for features that I would have no need of, and none matched the excellent connectivity of the P200D (6x USB, Firewire 400, Expresscard slot, S-Video and the usual VGA port)and as I don't play games or do video editing for example, my mind turned to upgrading my existing machine. I increased the RAM to 4GB which is the maximum my machine can take and looked around for a replacement hard drive of at least 500GB capacity. I was surprised to come across this model which runs at 7200rpm, and which surprised me as I had assumed hard drives for laptops etc were of the 5400rpm variety. And it is Toshiba branded to boot.

I called upon the assistance of a computer expert to clone the old drive for me and I am delighted with the results. Along with the upgrade to the RAM the laptop is now much more responsive and software runs faster, as expected, but this must also be due in no small measure to the fast speed of this drive which can access data much more quickly. It makes hardly any noise, I have to listen intently to hear anything, and the laptop runs just a little warmer, judged by the air exiting the vents. But the increase is only just noticeable.

I don't know if this will be pertinent to other laptops or users, but my "subscores" in the Windows assesment programme have increased from 5.5 to 5.7 for the RAM increase, and from 5.0 to 5.9 for the hard drive.

So for a very moderate outlay I have significantly improved the performance of my laptop without the need to buy a new one.

Should anyone else be looking for an upgrade to their 2.5" hard drive, going for this 7200rpm model would seem worthwhile.
on 7 October 2012
Disk arrived in very good time, swapped into my 2007 MacBook in no time at all and then restored my system from backup perfectly.

Now it works great, slightly quicker than my old WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive that was 5400 rpm.

There's the problem though, when I look in my About This Mac option, the Toshiba drive is mentioned as being 5400rpm.....did I get sent the wrong one or is the MacBook failing to recognise it?

It's a good drive but I'm confused!
on 29 December 2012
I bought this to upgrade my Son's Dell laptop and use his old drive to sort out a mates laptop. This is a great drive for the money, having a spindle speed of 7200RPM, which is an improvement in performance over the old drive. As I also sorted my mates laptop out it was a win win all round and very happy with the price, speedy delivery and purchase overall.
on 1 March 2012
I am currently using this HDD on my laptop, and it works very well. I had a Western Digital Scorpio Black (320 gb, 7200 rpm) and this Toshiba has served as an equal if not a bit superior replacement. I highly recommend it, it offers high functionality for good value!
on 6 May 2013
my hard drive had 1 bad sector and was very loud but that would be expected after 2 years of use every day. So i went and bought a ssd first and then this for a second hard drive.

It weights hardly anything compared to the one that came original in the toshiba qosmio x500, there is little noise which the last one was a high pitch this is more dampened.

Takes a minute to install if even, you must remember you require a hard drive caddy/cage unless it is a straight swap.

it is not as fast as an ssd but it never would be as it is a disk and not flash memory. I would say good investment as a backup drive, no performance difference for myself as the benchmark is exactly the same as the Hitachi i removed in terms of the same specification.
on 10 June 2014
And what's worse is that the SMART status that's supposed to tell you that the drive is failing just lies. The drive's internal error log showed it had been suffering errors, but the SMART status still reported that everything was ok.