Two books which I really enjoyed last year were Trust Me I'm A Vet and also It Must Be Love both by Cathy Woodman. Both of the books were following Maz and Alex who were vets in the village of Talyton St. George. I have been keeping a close eye on Cathy Woodman's website waiting for the date for her new book to be released and at long last it has arrived. The Sweetest Thing is the title of her new book and for those of you who were fans of her previous books you will not miss this book as the front cover is much the same as the other two books.

Plot
This time our main character has changed, meet Jennie who is a newly divorced mum of three and has decided that now is time to live her dream and decides to up and move to the country. Jennie moves to the town of Talyton St. George. Jennie is looking forward to the tranquil life in the country and thinks it will be a great new start for her children although it is soon clear that life is not going to be so easy and tranquil as typical village gossip soon starts and Jennie's son Adam soon starts showing his distaste of country life. Jennie decides that she is going to need o bring in some money to be able to pay for the things the children want to help to settle them in so she decides to start her own cake business. Will the cake business work out and will she be able to help the children settle in the country or will they decide to go and live back in the city with their father?

Characters
I loved each and every one of the characters in this book. Jennie's relationship between her children and between the new love interest Guy in the book is brought across to the reader beautifully. From the first chapter we warm to Jennie's character and only hope for the best for her in her new start in life. The character of Adam who is Jennie's eldest son was very hormonal and emotional to read about. At times I felt annoyed with some of his actions and on over times I felt really sorry for the poor lad who is having a hard time adjusting to his new life after his parents split up and he is moved away from all he knows. The two daughters were a joy to read and we felt their excitement being brought to us through the pages of the book.

My Opinion
I have to say I actually enjoyed this book more than the previous two. I do have two problems with this book which I shall bring up now firstly I was so hungry reading this book after reading about a different kind of tasty cake in each chapter ( I can only say it seems as though Cathy Woodman has really done her homework on cakes!) and also that I am so in love with the village of Talyton St. George that I want to up and move to this place in the pages of my book!

Now that I have got my minor negatives out of the way I can tell you that this was a very enjoyable read, so much so I read this on my day off on Sunday it was a true page turner! The story felt quite real to me, which I feel is the reason why I struggled to put it down. The book is written from Jennie's perspective so we really get an insight in the way she feels and the way she is coping with her new life.

We do see the characters of Maz and Alex pop up briefly in this book which gives us a bit of familiarity but does not take over the story. We do have a new romance in this book between Jennie and her neighbor Guy which was lovely to read as unlike most books I seem to have read recently the romance between them is hard work due to the children and both Jennie and Guy's work I found myself all the way through the book wondering if they would eventually get together.

I would recommend this book (actually I already have my copy has gone to one of my clients already!) It would be an ideal holiday read or like me your lazy Sunday read. I can only hope that we do not have to wait too long for the next book and that it keeps on par with this book.
on 1 July 2011
This is the third novel by Cathy Woodman in the Talyton St George series (preceded by Trust Me, I'm a Vet and Must Be Love). This book can be picked up without having read either of the previous two, since the events of The Sweetest Thing follow new character Jennie as she moves from the city to the country after a divorce to start up a new cake-baking business.

Cathy Woodman is really getting up to speed now! I was a little uncertain about her first novel, but enjoyed her second thoroughly. This third one is by far the best. Jennie is a wonderful character - she's warm and friendly, but has foibles and is definitely incredibly stubborn. She is a very realistic character, and makes it very easy to take her part over the course of the events in The Sweetest Thing.

Jennie is surrounded by equally memorable characters. Woodman has a real gift for natural dialogue, especially between Jennie and her three children. Sophie and Georgia are very sweet, the latter reminding me very much of myself when I was a child and was desperate to own a pony! Adam is a bit more prickly - Jennie's teenage son is hard to take to, deliberately so, and, although I didn't like him much, I could appreciate the stance he was taking and felt myself sympathising.

The prose is incredibly easy to read. It flows and is very compelling, encouraging the reader to keep turning the page. Woodman has a very humorous turn of phrase at times, as well, which makes The Sweetest Thing a joy to read.

What I like most is that Woodman doesn't hesitate in bringing harder subjects into what could be a very fluffy novel - Jennie is a victim of village gossip, she struggles with her teenage son, she suffers as a result of her former husband demanding sole custody of her beloved children. These are not easy subjects, but Woodman deals with them compassionately.

Altogether, this was a very accomplished and entertaining novel, and I shall be eagerly awaiting the next instalment in the Talyton St George series. Be warned - if you read these novels, you will want to move to the country, own horses and dogs, and eat cakes!
on 3 March 2016
I loved reading this book. Cathy Woodman describes life in the country will such feeling. The pain of failed relationships and children having to adjust to a new life, the whole book was thoroughly readable, last few chapters had me up into the early hours. I have read others in this series and all equally good.
on 18 July 2014
It would have been better to have known which order to start reading the books in. I did enjoy knowing the characters , but I knew these two had got married and had a child so story spoiled a bit as I knew what the end would be. Also, all the men seem very muscular and pinch woman's bottoms.
I have yet to find all these muscula, terrific fellas going around, in my upturn yeas myself and can't say many men like that. I married a great chap,good looking but certainly not the build all these gaps are in these stories. Bit too much of the same, if a chap pinched my bum, would have slapped him.

Did enjoy books though and got involved, made me read something I don't offend do.
on 12 July 2013
My Partner brought me another one of this series, so before I read it I found out that there were another 4 or 5 books, I had a look on Amazon and purchased all of them, they were in fantastic condition, some didn't even look as if they had been read, but they soon will be, I intend to sit down and read them in sequence, from the synopsis on the back they are all very good and I do look forward to reading them.

What better gift, a gift of a book???
on 4 June 2016
After a painful divorce, Jennie upsticks and moves into the country to open up her own Baking Business, which she calls, Jennies's Folly. Along with her three children she moves into Up HIll House. There she meets a farmer who befreinds her. Guy Barnes is very charming but it's obvious he holds a secret that makes him reserved, rude and out of reach. Upon first meeting, Guy tells Jennie she won't last at Taylton Saint George a year. After getting off on the wrong foot, Guy and Jennie slowly begin to break the ice and form a neighbourly bond.

In time Jenny settles in her new home and begins to get to know her neighbours. Her baking business starts on a slow note and the house proves a bit more difficult than what Jennie had expected. She must get over her dislike of animals and convince her children and herself that moving to the countryside was the best choice she made for everyone's sake under the circumstances.

Can Jennie and her children survive at Up HIll House? Can her baking business pick up? Will Jenny burst the bubble that her neighbour Guy has created for himself?

I enjoyed this book very much. Although, in places, it was a tad predictable. I would have liked it if the author included some recipes within the chapters in the style of Jenny Colgan.
on 24 May 2011
This is the first time I have written a review but I loved this book so much that I just had to 'shout' about it! I have read the other 'Talyton' books but you could read this without having read the others (but they are very good and would recommend them too!). It had me gripped right from the start and kept my interest until the very last sentence. It helped that I could empathise with Jennie's circumstances and some of the things thrown at her. Will now be on the edge of my seat waiting for the follow-up....please Cathy!!!
on 10 March 2016
. Not my usual type of story, had previously read the "vet" books which I had enjoyed so unsure if I would buy any more of Cathy Goodman.
But those who like a "love story" might enjoy it.
on 28 May 2016
This is my first Cathy Woodman book and I really enjoyed it. It's about a woman, her two daughters and son, who move to Devon following her divorce. The initial meeting with the 'country bumpkin' farmer is hilareous and I felt straight away that he was going to be a big part of her new life in the country. The only thing that spoilt it for me was the son Adam, I felt like I wanted to clip him round the ear!
Its an easy and enjoyable read and I've already bought another one of her novels. I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 28 August 2011
great feel good book, you get that feeling of country life and just want to try it yourself.. fab story from start to finish just cant put it down .go on give it a go you will be pleased you did. only problem you wont want it to end.