3,781
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
Price:£14.58+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 17 February 2015
I have bought these earphones 3 times because of the high quality sound. The only problem is that I have had to buy 3. They just stop working through one side which is really annoying and so I find myself constantly replacing them, which is a waste of money. Now I find myself looking for an alternative brand in the hope of finding the same quality but longer lasting.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 December 2011
I bought these as an early birthday prezzy for my 15yr old son after much deliberation & reading of various reviews on here for all manner & makes of earphones.
He's had a few sets over the past year (including SkullCandys) that just don't seem to be able to take the frequent use.
He uses them every day on route to school or for a little gaming on his iPod Touch.
He told me that the sound quality when listening to music is very good (particularly with the dubstep that he enjoys),the bass pick-up is great,and what he said to me was "Mum,my new headphones are beast! Thankyou so much" :)

Our conclusion is that for a cheaper but quality & pretty robust set of earphones you really can't go far wrong with these ones :)

**7 MONTHS AFTER PURCHASE: These earphones did finally succumb to the constant day in,day out nigh on 24/7 use that my son inflicted on them. One of the earphones did fall off of the cord completely. However my son loves them so much he has requested a 2nd pair. We'd still recommend them as you can't help just general wear & tear & pretty hard handling from a 15yr old.** :)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2011
These headphones are simply amazing.

- Their technical details are very close to that of the Dr. Dre headphones at only the 1/6 of its hefty £120 price tag.
- Their noise cancelling is very good while the music produced is simply breath-taking.
- Its rich deep bass sound produced is as good at higher pitches.
- Its appearance is very aesthetically pleasing even quite cool.
- It is very comfortable even after long periods and it stays in your ears unlike many other headphones.

Very pleased with it and would recommend to everyone else who is looking for any great decent headphones at a low cost.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2012
I read a lot of the reviews for this product before buying it. The majority of the negative reviews were unhappy about the sound quality of the other tones/frequencies but the bass. I will add an update later if necessary but at this point in time I have to say I am xxtremely satisfied with what I got.

It is all about the bass of course, but overall the sound quality is very good and, believe me, these phones are loud. If you are a demanding audiophile then you should not really be looking at this price bracket anyway. If, like the (majority) rest of us, all you need are phones that are:

-Comfortable to wear
-Well built and sturdy
-Beautiful to hold and look at
-Have a carry case
-Have extra ear pieces
-Have above-average sound clarity, loudness and, of course, xxtreme, xxplosive bass

Then this will be the best £15 you will spend.
If you are not interested in the bass I have found that I can nullify that somewhat with the EQ settings in my iPod. I also expect the sound quality to get even better as I run the phones through.

Negatives? I honestly, again for the price point, cannot find any. Some reviewers mentioned that the case is xxtremely difficult to open. This is actually true but I would rather have that than buy a product that is damaged on transit because of poor packaging. In any case, I was on the ready with my xxtreme scissors. Just be careful you do not damage the product or injure yourself.

I intend to graduate to a higher price bracket for my next phones but for now, I have no hesitation recommending this cheap but quality product. It is now even cheaper than the £15 pound I bought it for. I found further reviews on YouTube that helped make up my mind before purchase.
on 11 April 2013
While I am by no means an audiophile, I have certainly owned my fair share of Sony's and Sennheisers over the years. These have been brilliant, the base is as punchy as any in ear head phones I have ever heard. The noise isolation is good, i wear these whenever flying and watching in flight entertainment, and they have worked great.
They knock the socks off the one pair of beats by dre in-ear headphones I have listened to. I recently listened to a pair of Beats by Dre Studio over-ear headphones. While they do sound great, I was non-plussed in comparison to these, especially when considering they cost 20 times the price and require batteries.
My boss's Atomic Floyd headphones broke after 18 months, and he was lamenting to me about spending another £100 or so on more. I told him to buy these, and said I would buy them off him for more than he paid if he was not happy. He bought them and is happy with them.
I notice the newer generation of these are smaller, and get less favourable reviews so i intend to buy more pairs of these before JVC stops production.
on 20 February 2015
The quality of the sound itself through the earpieces is good, clear and bassy BUT the packaging is RIDICULOUS!! It took a power tool (almost) and a lot of sweat and stress to get to the headphones while trying to be cautious enough to not cut through the wires! (I'm wondering whether someone is going to tell me that all I had to do was separate the plastic at the bottom left corner!). Great headphones though!
review image
on 15 February 2014
I always regard negative reviews with a hint of caution so I feel that I should explain what I think qualifies me to criticise these earphones.
I have gone through numerous pairs of earphones over the years both standard earphones as well as the ear canal type. I have also owned and listened to numerous pairs of on ear headphones. I have also worked for a sound company mixing live bands and performances through premium quality loudspeaker systems so I know a bit about what music SHOULD sound like.

Getting back to these earphone...

I bought these due to the fact that they came out top when I arranged the earphone results according to popularity.

Firstly, the bass. What to say... The bass on these earphones is so tremendously overpowering that it obliterates all other aspects of the music. What was once a pleasant bass guitar becomes distractingly exaggerated. Likewise a tight kick drum sound becomes a muffled merky whump.

Secondly, the mids. There isn't much to say about the mids as they don't exist.

Thirdly, the highs. The designers obviously wanted to make something to produce bass only and then threw in some highs as an afterthought. The upper end of most music is distorted and painful even at low volumes and is completely overwhelmed by the bass.

Lastly, comfort. Theses aren't the least comfortable earphones I have ever owned, nor are they the most comfortable.

I personally do not recommend these to anyone appreciates music.

I particularly urge any audiophiles or anyone who wants to experience music the way the recording engineer intended it to be heard not to buy these.
on 27 November 2013
When I first brought these, I was between these JVC and creative Ep-630 (my price-range, and decent reviews)

However, do not get drawn into the 1,000 or so 5-star reviews.
I bought my first JVC pair...i was pretty pleased with it, bassy and decent (although I didn't own any exceptional earphones before so can't compare). Exactly 6 months after though, the wires were ripped at the rubber part joining the jack. My usage is every day, but I did take care of it, putting it back in the case etc, but they did have a tendency to snag on the side of my pocket of my jeans. The sound from the first pair was gone. I was like "never mind, £10 down the drain (I hadn't thought of sending it back due to the 30-day warranty only).

So I was in a bit of a tussle again, and eventually brought another pair. However this only lasted 2 months! And the same place! at the jack! I was very angry and disappointed, so I contacted amazon, and they said I can send it to amazon for a refund (although I've sent it off, and still have not received my refund :/)

A definitely poor build by JVC...really flimsy "protection" at the jack end and was very unhappy. I decided to go for Creatives this time, and so far just under 3 months they've been brilliant (I did thankfully get the original, unlike some buyers have got fake ones)...much better quality, sturdier and not bulky either!

I would give this 2 stars but seeing as someone who jumps straight to 5-star, and 1-star reviews, I'm putting this as 1-star so people can understand that it will eventually break at the jack-end, or have other problems.
on 10 June 2013
I'm no stranger to these types of earphones, having had a few Sennheiser earphones in the past that have lasted me a year or more before suddenly cutting out in either one or both ears I decided to try a different pair of earphones and these JVC ones seemed to match what I was looking for.

Unfortunately they are extremely poor quality, at first I noticed a noise that I thought was the static noise you get when part of the wire has started to wear and lose contact but quickly realised it was a "rattle" inside the earpiece in both the left and right earphone which I thought I could ignore but any listening while on the move is ruined by this rattle, even slight movements whilst sitting cause this rattle and just ruins the quality of the audio. I can hear the rattle if I just give them a shake while holding them close to my ear (while disconnected from any device), as someone who likes to listen to music while working out this is a fairly large problem when you hear a rattle over the music and that's when they decide to stay in your ear which isn't long.

After only 1 day, yes ONE DAY the rubber protector near the Jack came loose and now slides up the wire, it can "click" into place but is easily pulled free when trying to get the jack out of my phone. The wire has now started to come free at the Jack so I don't expect these to last me a month.

Even if I excluded the above quality problems, the product itself isn't Ideal, I often find that the earphones start to slip out even after trying the different size options provided. I believe this is mainly due to the size of the earphones, they stick out quite far which I think unbalances them more than your average earphones. When working out they slip out very quickly and are just an annoyance, while sitting or walking they are fine for a while but do eventually start to slip out.

Perhaps I've received a dodgy set but I would rather not go through the process returning and getting a replacement only to find it is the same with another pair and the added issues of them falling out mean even if they were in perfect working order I'll still likely replace them much sooner than previous earphones I have purchased.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 February 2013
Wanted something for travel.

I doubted that these cheap headphones would deliver any useful sound quality, thankfully I was wrong!!

Most of you will listen to MP3's ripped at a reasonable quality - not lossless.

From this starting point it is like putting "lipstick on a pig" opting to throw money at extremely expensive headphones.

I did try and waste my cash (honest) and spent nearly an hour at a retail outlet in the airport trying out SHURE, B&W, BOSE headphones at nearly 10 times the price of these humble JVC's. I left feeling somewhat bemused by these so called "top quality" items.

Shure over the ear cable loop was ridiculous, I should not need a lesson in how to wear my headphones!! Plus how do I wear my reading glasses with that cable in the way. Maybe I should get my eyes lasered.

B&W even more nonsense with a small plastic loop that you adjust for perfect fit - 5 minutes in and I was losing the will!

Bose - well, if you have money to burn then buy these and replace with a better pair later .....

There were a lot of other makes that the very patient sales assistant tried to tempt me with, but I began to suspect a conspiracy amongst the manufacturers - I am so glad that I resisted temptation.

So to the JVC's

Clearly not top of the range for those audiophiles with perfect hearing (sitting in a darkened perfect acoustic pod).

But when I get on that plane/train/bus, I am happy to let the JVC's block out most of the ambient noise and deliver some decent sound to me.

When I snag them or they drop from my pocket ( a universal fate that befalls all precious tech!) I can get another pair and not have to auction a kidney to fund them!

Simple but effective case and they do fit the headphones and cable inside (you do not have to leave the earpieces dangling out, as has been suggested in other reviews - that is just the way they arrive in the package).

3 pairs of plugs small med large - small worked well - slight ridge on the moulding that might get uncomfortable for some people (but it is a very small ridge)

Cable is a good thickness and not too much noise back to the phones when it rubs on clothing. Equal length to the earpieces (I do prefer an offset, but that is a personal thing)

I am now buying a second pair so I have a set in reserve.