Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Colour Name: BlackChange

on 22 August 2015
Ok, so first things first, these are FANTASTIC earphones. I've been buying them for years now, and am above satisfied. To give you some context, I generally use them with my iPhone 5 or MacBook Pro, both of which, especially the MacBook, have a fairly high power output for audio. I'll sum up the main points here.

Firstly, most important for audio devices - sound quality. It's truly unbeatable, and the reason I keep on purchasing these earphones. Every frequency is spot on; not too bass-y, too treble-y, or tinny. I listen to a wide variety of music, from heavy rock to classical, and every song or recording I've played through them has sounded studio quality. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say they're as good, if not better, than many professional headphones that are in use in proper recording studios (the ones you'd pay hundreds of pounds for). What's even more impressive is that the sound quality remains brilliant at any volume level. Have them on the lowest volume bar, or pounding at 100dB, and you'll still hear a nice, rich, deep sound, which fills your ears perfectly, with especially good balance between the pair. I also think this is especially important, as loud sounds can damage your hearing, and with these headphones, you don't need them to be loud to sound phenomenal. This leads me on to my next point.

Comfort. These earphones are perfectly comfortable. Like many earphones, they come with little plastic buds which fit over the speakers to ensure they fit snuggly in your ears. They offer 3 sizes, and it is well worth trying out each to see which fits best for you. I have large ear canals, and the larger sized buds fit me well. The better the fit, the easier they will stay in your ears, and will also block out outside noise, a huge bonus if you like to simply indulge yourself in music and shut out your surroundings. It is however worth getting replacement buds, as I've found over the years the buds tear fairly easily, or you can lose them, and although the earphones work without them, they won't stay in your ears.

Now the slight downsides, and the reason I can only (unfortunately) give these a 4 star rating. Durability. The earphones themselves are tough, encased in a plastic shell with extra rubber for protection, however the wires (and in particular, the input jack connection) are not as tough. I have gone through a good 5+ pairs of these earphones these past years, and the main reason they break is down to the fact that the connection at the jack (where you plug in to your audio input) will fail if you do not take good care, and I mean good care of it. Simply pulling it out of your phone incorrectly will weaken it. Once the wires have become loose, the earphones are effectively dead and irreparable. I realise this is a problem with many earphones, but as these are advertised to be tough, it's worth taking into account. There are a few things you can do to them to prevent this, such as wrapping a small spring around the housing, or invest in Sugru, a type of mouldable plastic designed to strengthen cables and wires. Alternatively, another earphone brand which uses a different, stronger connector is the Marleys, where the jack is at a right angle to the wire, although I feel these headphones lack on sound quality. Also, on the XX earphones, it is worth noting there are no controls for music playback - something I feel they are missing out on, although is not crucial. I have found that they are also water resistant but not waterproof, so will work in heavy rain etc, but if you saturate them or drop them in a glass of water, this will probably destroy them.

Finally, price - for what they are, these earphones are an incredible bargain. You won't normally find them for more than £15 on Amazon, sometimes even £10, far less than the RRP or how much in my opinion they're really worth. So as far as value for money goes, you won't beat it.

To sum up - these headphones will be perfect for nearly all your needs. They offer unbeatable sound quality and a comfortable, rugged design at what is not only an affordable price but a great bargain. Unless you're taking your music library across the desert or to the north pole, these earphones will more than suit your daily music needs. If you're in two minds about buying these; do yourself a favour and buy them. I promise you these are worth every penny.
on 21 August 2011
Bought these as my Seinheissers Cx 300s packed up. Thought I would give one of these a try. I listen to a load of electronic music, which makes these ideal as the bass is massive, even at low volumes. They also provide really good quality sound at the mid and treble. Just as good quality as the Seinheissers but with better bass, comes with cool little box too. The only down point is that they are massive, they stick out of your ears by by a good 3/4 of an inch, although that is allow for the massive bass.

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2015
These headphones are great. I use them primarily whilst lying in bed listening to music... Obviously. These are really good headphones for the price. There is plenty of bass from these headphones and the quality is comparable to those headphones with a more premium price tag. Not saying they're the best in-class, but they're really good.

The build quality of these headphones has not been an area of issue for me. Usually, headphones get tugged and eventually one of the ear buds stops working, but I have not had any issues with these headphones. Comfort-wise, I find these headphones to be really comfortable whilst using them standing up, walking about and sitting down, however, once you lay your head on to a pillow, things start to take a turn for the worse. These are quite big headphones when compared to some headphones you can buy, and because of the slight angle the ear piece sticks out at, lying with your ear against the pillow can be quite uncomfortable. Other than that, they're excellent.

If these ever break, I will purchase them again.
on 26 August 2011
an amazing set of headphones by far the best ones ive had ever the sound is incredible for in ear phones ive test it with various music ive have from metal/rock to trance/drum n bass music and sounded amazing whatever ive played through them best purchase ive made in ages and a bargin aswell well worth purchasing i went by everybody's recommendation on here and they are not wrong .
on 6 November 2015
This failed quicker than the last one i bought, This is the 3rd one I've bought; and they all failed the same way. Once the rubber jacket on the plug starts sliding down the wire (which which is very common with this earphones when in constant use), and no matter how you slide the jacket back in place or try fixing it; expect one ear to fail quicker than you expect. I've never really thought about warranty, but checking it... they all qualified for warranty at the point of failure and i overlooked and got a new one. I'm so fed up right now, can't see anywhere i can contact this seller to honour the warranty. I hope you contact me as soon as possible. I need the warranty on the last one I purchased sorted, I can't be buying your earphones all the time and watch it fail quick... worst part is that I really like these earphones.
on 14 August 2015
I have owned two previous pairs of these JVC HAFX1X. The first pair lasted around 2 years while the second around a year. Both of these had heavy use maybe around everyday on commutes to work and going to the gym as well as taking them abroad on trips. The durability of these is why I have stuck with them for so long. These aren't always the best sounding headphones but they lasted. However the latest pair I bought arrived a few days before I went on holiday. A week into my holiday they broke. The wire came loose from the jack. Not sure if it was just a defective pair but its disappointing to see headphones that lasted me so long before break so quickly. Can't recommend anymore.
on 24 November 2015
These Earphones are tough. After a year of travel without any special care they still look like new. All the other earphones I have owned like to loose their silicone pads but not these. The sound is well suited to anything bass heavy, they will murder your favorite violin solo and pianos will sound boomy but that dubstep drop will sound mad. The very warm fuzzy bassy sound is comforting on the ride home but honestly spoils anything other than EDM, Dub Step and the like. I can forgive them for this sin due to the insane DB levels which can be achieved, I am sure they will make me deaf before they distort. Important to note they are too big to be worn while laying down.
on 26 August 2011
Now, this is the kind of earphones I wanted; cost-effective, deep bass, thicker cable. Looks a little bulky on ears but I think that should not be a concern as long as you get amazing music. Awesome stuff!
on 20 August 2015
They really are loud, I'd check the db on these, taking into consideration that they are earphones and not headphones. But aside from that, they perform exceptionaly well, the only problems I've ever had with these earphones (and I've had 2 pairs before) is that it's somewhat easy to tangle the wires, and thus makes it more likely that you'll lose a bud or two when trying to unravel them.

Sound quality is great for the price, the bass comes from their in ear design, but they can pump out digital bass too, their trebbles are in the mid range and compliment the over all sound.

An utter and absolute bargain.
on 25 November 2015
This is the 3rd pair of these I have had. They have such excellent sound quality with the best Bass sound I have heard in any headphone I have had. They are comfortable to wear and have a long lead which is sturdy and well made.
My only problem I have with these is that the ear buds come away from the headphones too easily. In cases this has seen them fall on the floor of the tube when pulling them out of my coat pocket and even sometimes when I have accidently caught the wires.
For this reason I have taken off 1 star. Would I continue to buy them? Yes I would they are great value have great sound and comfortable.