3,825

on 17 February 2015
I have bought these earphones 3 times because of the high quality sound. The only problem is that I have had to buy 3. They just stop working through one side which is really annoying and so I find myself constantly replacing them, which is a waste of money. Now I find myself looking for an alternative brand in the hope of finding the same quality but longer lasting.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 March 2014
I've had the same earphones before and they lasted for years and had very good sound quality. The pair I purchased from DoxDirect also had good sound quality however after a few weeks the plastic around the jack became torn and eventually exposed the wires, before finally the earphones stopped transmitting sound last week.

I went on JVCs website to investigate as they claim a 12 month manufacturers warranty and they have a notice about counterfeit products, noting the HA-FX1X model in particular.

"We are aware of counterfeit JVC headphones that are being sold in the UK. The HA-FX1X and Gumy models are the most common. These counterfeit products do not conform to JVC specifications and are not covered by a JVC warranty. They are generally of very poor quality and the sound will not be what you would expect from a genuine JVC product. In addition, they have not passed any safety tests and may contain unsafe materials. We are working with The UK Border Agency and Trading Standards to stop the importation and sale of these counterfeit products, and this is an ongoing operation. To ensure that you only purchase genuine JVC products, we strongly suggest that you purchase only from an authorised JVC dealer. Many of the counterfeit products are sold via Online Marketplace and Auction Websites, and we suggest that you be particularly careful when purchasing from these sources."
on 11 December 2011
I bought these as an early birthday prezzy for my 15yr old son after much deliberation & reading of various reviews on here for all manner & makes of earphones.
He's had a few sets over the past year (including SkullCandys) that just don't seem to be able to take the frequent use.
He uses them every day on route to school or for a little gaming on his iPod Touch.
He told me that the sound quality when listening to music is very good (particularly with the dubstep that he enjoys),the bass pick-up is great,and what he said to me was "Mum,my new headphones are beast! Thankyou so much" :)

Our conclusion is that for a cheaper but quality & pretty robust set of earphones you really can't go far wrong with these ones :)

**7 MONTHS AFTER PURCHASE: These earphones did finally succumb to the constant day in,day out nigh on 24/7 use that my son inflicted on them. One of the earphones did fall off of the cord completely. However my son loves them so much he has requested a 2nd pair. We'd still recommend them as you can't help just general wear & tear & pretty hard handling from a 15yr old.** :)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 April 2013
While I am by no means an audiophile, I have certainly owned my fair share of Sony's and Sennheisers over the years. These have been brilliant, the base is as punchy as any in ear head phones I have ever heard. The noise isolation is good, i wear these whenever flying and watching in flight entertainment, and they have worked great.
They knock the socks off the one pair of beats by dre in-ear headphones I have listened to. I recently listened to a pair of Beats by Dre Studio over-ear headphones. While they do sound great, I was non-plussed in comparison to these, especially when considering they cost 20 times the price and require batteries.
My boss's Atomic Floyd headphones broke after 18 months, and he was lamenting to me about spending another £100 or so on more. I told him to buy these, and said I would buy them off him for more than he paid if he was not happy. He bought them and is happy with them.
I notice the newer generation of these are smaller, and get less favourable reviews so i intend to buy more pairs of these before JVC stops production.
on 25 October 2011
These headphones are simply amazing.

- Their technical details are very close to that of the Dr. Dre headphones at only the 1/6 of its hefty £120 price tag.
- Their noise cancelling is very good while the music produced is simply breath-taking.
- Its rich deep bass sound produced is as good at higher pitches.
- Its appearance is very aesthetically pleasing even quite cool.
- It is very comfortable even after long periods and it stays in your ears unlike many other headphones.

Very pleased with it and would recommend to everyone else who is looking for any great decent headphones at a low cost.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 February 2014
I always regard negative reviews with a hint of caution so I feel that I should explain what I think qualifies me to criticise these earphones.
I have gone through numerous pairs of earphones over the years both standard earphones as well as the ear canal type. I have also owned and listened to numerous pairs of on ear headphones. I have also worked for a sound company mixing live bands and performances through premium quality loudspeaker systems so I know a bit about what music SHOULD sound like.

Getting back to these earphone...

I bought these due to the fact that they came out top when I arranged the earphone results according to popularity.

Firstly, the bass. What to say... The bass on these earphones is so tremendously overpowering that it obliterates all other aspects of the music. What was once a pleasant bass guitar becomes distractingly exaggerated. Likewise a tight kick drum sound becomes a muffled merky whump.

Secondly, the mids. There isn't much to say about the mids as they don't exist.

Thirdly, the highs. The designers obviously wanted to make something to produce bass only and then threw in some highs as an afterthought. The upper end of most music is distorted and painful even at low volumes and is completely overwhelmed by the bass.

Lastly, comfort. Theses aren't the least comfortable earphones I have ever owned, nor are they the most comfortable.

I personally do not recommend these to anyone appreciates music.

I particularly urge any audiophiles or anyone who wants to experience music the way the recording engineer intended it to be heard not to buy these.
on 20 February 2015
The quality of the sound itself through the earpieces is good, clear and bassy BUT the packaging is RIDICULOUS!! It took a power tool (almost) and a lot of sweat and stress to get to the headphones while trying to be cautious enough to not cut through the wires! (I'm wondering whether someone is going to tell me that all I had to do was separate the plastic at the bottom left corner!). Great headphones though!
review image
on 9 August 2015
I have owned these since 21 September 2011 and bought them for £21.53 since then I have purchased my sister a pair earlier this year and another pair for myself after loosing my first pair just over a month ago.

I can genuinely advise I used these earphones daily for in my work and college and the quality out them for the price (especially now) is unquestionable. Bear in mind phone's are not designed for "Studio Quality" but these do hit high notes and have a really nice bass drive to them - not excessive but not too little - its very satisfying.

If you are a bass head and just want ridiculous bass please go and buy a higher end earphone but if you enjoy drum and bass/dubstep and still want to enjoy the other tones in your music these are ideal for you for the cost that they are.

The issue I have always found with earphones is the cables go faulty and crackle/one earphone dies etc. After using these for almost 4 years the same pair still sound great and do not have any issues. They have lost a tiny bit of sound quality but this is due to me leaving them in jean pockets in the washing machine to which they still come out working (after allowing them to dry for 2 days without plugging them in) they still sound pretty bang on after a harsh life in the washing machine and using them in the garages I have worked in. The cable is of decent thickness (slightly thicker than a candle wick for each earphone) - Highly recommended for their reliability.

If you want an earphone that is cheap but will blow you away for the best £ to Performance ratio with reliability in mind - these are for you and are genuinely great.

Please also buy extra ear buds - I have lost many of them so a replacement pack is highly recommended and you can pickup a 50 bud pack on ebay for £4 - 6 or on amazon for the same price.
on 27 November 2013
When I first brought these, I was between these JVC and creative Ep-630 (my price-range, and decent reviews)

However, do not get drawn into the 1,000 or so 5-star reviews.
I bought my first JVC pair...i was pretty pleased with it, bassy and decent (although I didn't own any exceptional earphones before so can't compare). Exactly 6 months after though, the wires were ripped at the rubber part joining the jack. My usage is every day, but I did take care of it, putting it back in the case etc, but they did have a tendency to snag on the side of my pocket of my jeans. The sound from the first pair was gone. I was like "never mind, £10 down the drain (I hadn't thought of sending it back due to the 30-day warranty only).

So I was in a bit of a tussle again, and eventually brought another pair. However this only lasted 2 months! And the same place! at the jack! I was very angry and disappointed, so I contacted amazon, and they said I can send it to amazon for a refund (although I've sent it off, and still have not received my refund :/)

A definitely poor build by JVC...really flimsy "protection" at the jack end and was very unhappy. I decided to go for Creatives this time, and so far just under 3 months they've been brilliant (I did thankfully get the original, unlike some buyers have got fake ones)...much better quality, sturdier and not bulky either!

I would give this 2 stars but seeing as someone who jumps straight to 5-star, and 1-star reviews, I'm putting this as 1-star so people can understand that it will eventually break at the jack-end, or have other problems.
on 10 June 2013
I'm no stranger to these types of earphones, having had a few Sennheiser earphones in the past that have lasted me a year or more before suddenly cutting out in either one or both ears I decided to try a different pair of earphones and these JVC ones seemed to match what I was looking for.

Unfortunately they are extremely poor quality, at first I noticed a noise that I thought was the static noise you get when part of the wire has started to wear and lose contact but quickly realised it was a "rattle" inside the earpiece in both the left and right earphone which I thought I could ignore but any listening while on the move is ruined by this rattle, even slight movements whilst sitting cause this rattle and just ruins the quality of the audio. I can hear the rattle if I just give them a shake while holding them close to my ear (while disconnected from any device), as someone who likes to listen to music while working out this is a fairly large problem when you hear a rattle over the music and that's when they decide to stay in your ear which isn't long.

After only 1 day, yes ONE DAY the rubber protector near the Jack came loose and now slides up the wire, it can "click" into place but is easily pulled free when trying to get the jack out of my phone. The wire has now started to come free at the Jack so I don't expect these to last me a month.

Even if I excluded the above quality problems, the product itself isn't Ideal, I often find that the earphones start to slip out even after trying the different size options provided. I believe this is mainly due to the size of the earphones, they stick out quite far which I think unbalances them more than your average earphones. When working out they slip out very quickly and are just an annoyance, while sitting or walking they are fine for a while but do eventually start to slip out.

Perhaps I've received a dodgy set but I would rather not go through the process returning and getting a replacement only to find it is the same with another pair and the added issues of them falling out mean even if they were in perfect working order I'll still likely replace them much sooner than previous earphones I have purchased.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...