on 11 January 2013
In a nut shell, I can't believe some of the negative reviews of this phone, it's brilliant. I'm a tech savvy electrical engineer and wanted a replacement for my Nokia 6230i but not a smartphone. Why not a smartphone? I want a phone with buttons, doesn't cost hundreds to replace if I drop it and lasts more than a day before it needs charging. I also don't want to have to respond to emails instantly or post stuff on Facebook (people really do need to get a life!).

Costs less than a hundred pounds.
Made of plastic, but the best plastic and build quality is excellent.
Battery lasts 4 or 5 days before it needs charging (I have blue tooth on all the time for my car kit).
Pairs with my car's hands free kit perfectly and the voice recognition system is brilliant.
3G if you desperately need the internet.
Alarm - You can set a wake up alarm, turn the phone off & it'll wake itself up in the morning & wake you up.
Press any button to snooze the alarm (you don't even need to take the phone out of your pocket).
Totally configurable joystick & option buttons
Excellent speakerphone.
Excellent call quality & signal strength.
Texting and making calls is a joy.
Large font option makes seeing all your contacts a lot easier.
You can copy your MS Outlook calendar and contacts to the phone. I copied 693 contacts to the phone just to see if it would do it and it did but then I deleted them because I considered it a security risk (phone's own memory used).
Nokia sync software actually works.

No WiFi
Camera poor but I only use it to photograph price tags on things am thinking about buying at the DIY store.

As you can probably guess, I really like this phone, it's not a smartphone but it's for smart people! :-)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2011
Aesthetics : the phone is actually quite elegant looking except for the cheap-looking plastic back cover. It has a nice solid feel to it and, weight to size that confers quality build. The buttons feel solid, though a little small - if you have big fingers and text a lot, you will not like this phone. The screen though small is excellent; Real jpg pictures show up in great detail and small text is crisp. The phone's speakerphone works well - it is loud and clear at both ends. The radio is a little disappointing but usable when used with good headphones. Those supplied are rubbish.
The camera is almost a waste of time in medium to low light conditions. The 3.2Mp means nothing really. The video fairs a little better.
It has voice recognition which almost every time. I use voice recognition with a bluetooth speakerphone (avantalk BTCK-10) which will no doubt save me a few points on my licence.

The operating system is s40 which I find excellent for a non touchscreen device. It presents a multitude of options for you for the various functions you will need at any one time. You can even copy and paste. View texts in conversation mode, do CC BCC messages.
I've used the internet with opera mini. Opera does a great job but the screen is too small to be a serious surfing tool - emergency use only, same for email. At least they are there and thanks to s40 easy to set up.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a simple elegant phone with bluetooth and a good speaker phone that is easy to use then this is a good choice. Please note there are many more functions to it that I have not listed here.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2011
Bought this phone as like Nokia's and this phone is completely compatible with my new Ford car, something my previous phone wasn't. It paired with the car straight away. Was expecting a pretty basic phone for the money but this phone has lots of features; e mails, links to facebook etc Good camera.Very easy to use and nice looking phone. Didn't want loads of features I will never use but actually this phone has much more than I expected. Bought it from Amazon at slightly higher price than some of the market place traders listed as think the Amazon guarentees and support are worth the extra couple of pounds should there be any issues with the phone. Would definitely recommend.
on 22 September 2011
I really like this phone. I am a bit biased as I do like Nokias in general, but the spec on this phone is just right for me and it does everything I want it to do. The Camera is really clear for a phone and I have bought a data cable so that I can keep the photos on my PC. The media player is good too. I like the menus and the buttons are easy to use. I like the conversation view for texting which I did not have on my old phone.
on 7 August 2012
I was recommened to purchase by one of my Grandsons after he did some research for me. I am so pleased that he came up with "Nokia C201 Sim Free Mobile". I have found it much easier to use than my previous Nokia and there is a more interesting Menu. The only thing that I find at my age,79,is trying to learn the playing rules before playing a game; would it not be a good idea to print them in the book enclosed.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to express my satisfaction.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My sister wanted a basic phone but one which she could take on her global travels so I bought her this. The Nokia C2-01 is essentially a phone in the traditional sense, it is not a smartphone, but is well made and offers good functionality for calls and messaging. As I see it the pros and cons of this Nokia phone are;

- Good build quality and this includes the screen and keyboard.
- Easy to make calls and text plus intuitive menus and a wide choice of ringtones etc.
- Very compact.
- Long battery life - lasts 10 days plus on standby with a few calls thrown in too.
- Easily customisable home screen - you can either have icons for main functions or turn them off to mimic a true "old school" Nokia phone.
- Decent (3.2Mp) camera (but no flash).
- Quad band - should work in most parts of the globe.
- Can access the Internet/emails/social media etc.
- Bluetooth connectivity plus micro SD slot.
- Speakerphone.
- FM radio (headphones supplied).

- The back of the phone is a bit tricky to remove - but how often do you do this?
- No touch screen.

This phone has a niche in the marketplace which is that of a traditional "no frills" Nokia phone designed to work in most countries across the globe. What it isn't designed to be is a sophisticated, all singing and dancing smartphone - if you are looking for simplicity, quality and travel a lot then this could be the phone for you. Recommended.

PS. Since buying this for my Sister I ordered a second one for my girlfriend (who travels the globe) as she wanted a simple backup phone.
on 7 October 2012
Got this as a birthday present for my mum who is really, REALLY fussy when it comes to phones! She absolutely hates complex phones and just wants the simplest one to call, text and store her pictures on. Her other phone broke (I accidentally spilt water into it so I owed her a new one), and she wanted another simple phone and this fit the part perfectly! It's so cute and small! It's easy to use, just a typical simple Nokia really, but the camera is pretty good considering the phone's so simple and the screens a good size too. And of course, the battery life is awesome. I definitely recommend this for someone who needs a reliable but nice phone.
on 11 October 2011
Bought this for my wife as she wanted a quad band phone for travelling. Good little phone - like most nokia phones is easy to use and navigayes intuitively. Quick delivery from amazon as usual
on 13 July 2011
I am 79yrs old and this phone is fantastic! easy to use,easy to navigate and a very reasonable price. Definatley recommend. I Love it. ONLY thing it was packaged very loosly in a very large bag which rattled when moved.I was afraid that it may be damaged so unpacked it and set it up straight away to see if it was working.Fortunatly it was, so please seller take more care with your packing!!!! There was no paperwork in the packet either!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the second one I have bought. I grumbled about stiff keys in my previous review, but this second one is perfect! The keys and controls seem much smoother. I got this second one as a present for my Partner, and have put all his favourite music on a mini sd card, plus one of our best photos on the sd card for his screensaver. It's only now I realise how good this phone is! And how adaptable. It was a piece of cake to stick the songs on the mini sd and just slot it in. Look under media and it's all there. Plus the photo has editing options to enlarge, crop and so on so it fits perfectly as a screensaver. Really impressed - I also liked the maps on it. This is way way more advanced than my last nokia with music player, internet and camera. Just perfect really.
I use mine with a gel case so it doesn't slip out of your hand, which works really well and looks good - kind of makes it look like a workhorse of a phone and a bit funky. I take back my comments about stiff buttons now. I got used to it and this second one has very smooth button-presses - maybe they've improved a few things on this phone in the last year. Now I want another one, as a spare for mine - as no doubt by the time it breaks or goes wrong there won't be anything like this any more, with a keypad in candybar and all the basics at a reasonable price. The price has come down a bit too. My first one cost £65. Got this one for about £56 (makes all the difference!) and they are available locked to a network for about £40 - but you have to buy £10 credit as well. So this one on Amazon is a good price sim free.