Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 25 November 2011
I brought this telescope shortly after the start of the school year for my son, who has recently become particularly enthusiastic about the solar system and space after watching The Wonders of the Solar on TV. After choosing to do a science project at school on the subject of space which fuelled this interest even further, I thought that anything that steered a teenage boy's interest toward science and away from computer games has got to be a worthwhile purchase, and at just over £30 this telescope appeared to be the ideal distraction.

I don't know what the other reviewer expected for around the £30 mark, but considering many of the telescopes on the market and certainly those by a high-quality brand such as Celestron, are probably closer to double that or more (and well out of the price range of people like me) I think it is a fantastic value for the money! After all, it does the job it's meant to do, allows clear viewing of the stars and other aspects of the universe that you could never dream of seeing with the naked eye, it is super-fast and easy to set up coming with the preassembled tripod (which really does save loads of time and is perfect for an impatient teenager), is compact, lightweight and portable to carry around on the go to ensure that you easily move between different viewing positions in order to observe different objects AND the included software (which I think is the same or very similar to that which is included with the high cost scopes) in my opinion is a work of educational brilliance. Even I can understand and appreciate the wonders of the universe with the easy to understand SkyX software and trust me; physics was never my strong point!

I don't have a problem with the construction as it's steady and sturdy enough to support the telescope. It is designed to be a portable scope after all, and to make something as lightweight, I understand sometimes a little stability does have to be sacrificed to a degree. However, we have had it set up on grass and a concrete/solid surface and used and manoeuvred it with no issues. For the price, I really do have nothing to complain about!
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2012
Our telescope is still in the box after quite a few attempts to set it up and gaze at the stars. For a start the instructions are not very clear. Then once it is set up you cannot see anything through it. The scope was bought so that our grandchildren could learn more about the stars but because of its very oddly sized tripod and because it moves about so easily the grandchildren could see less than us and very soon gave up on it.
on 21 November 2011
I bought this telescope with high expectations due to the reputation of the brand, however this model proves to be the exception to the rule. This is a very poor quality piece of equipment in terms of its specs and overall robustness and I advise anyone planning on buying to spend an extra £20-50 or so to get something worth your money.
on 19 February 2013
In principle, the telescope and tripod look good for the price. However, on 2 different telescopes, the mounting point on the tripod is wider than the attachment on the telescope and will not mount. Great service from Amazon as they replaced the first one without any issues as I thought it would be a one off, unfortunately the second was identical.

I have now returned the product for a refund.
on 26 December 2011
steer clear of this telescope, got it as a xmas present for my 10 year old girl, cheap, small and nasty,small screws to tighten parts, wouldnt hold, put straight back into box and waiting for post office to open to ship back.
on 2 January 2015
This a very simple, basic telescope for beginners. We bought this for our curious 5 year old and it's perfect for him. He can look at the moon in better detail and start to learn about the telescope. It's not perfect, but it does well for its price. Good value for a child's first telescope.
on 15 January 2013
I was vey pleased with this telescope,it was perfect for my grandaughter who is 11 and just getting interested in astrology,ideal xmas gift.
on 12 February 2012
My daughter had requested a telescope for such a long time, many being too expensive for a 'first-timer'. I then stumbled across this one, great price and brilliant value. Comes with everything you need to star gaze from the warmth of your own home.

I was very impressed with the packaging, the price lead me to believe that it would come in a less than flattering box, but I was very surprised.

Celestron are one of the best telescope makers there are and many are fooled into thinking that a cheap price makes for a cheap product, I was extremely happy when I took delivery of this.

It does take a bit of getting used to with the different magnifications of the lenses, but once you have it set, you can then fiddle and experiment.

The instructions were clear and concise. For any first time 'star gazer', this is where you need to be.

For any parent wishing to introduce their child into the world of 'what we can't quite see', this is what you need.

I would recommend this to any parent who is considering buying their child their first telescope.
on 1 March 2012
this telescope is a great bargain , as for a cheap one it is everything i could have wished for! i have only used it so far to view sea & country views from our bungalow - waiting for warmer evenings to view stars .
on 25 November 2011
I've messed around with all kinds of telescope and when a friend asked me if I wanted to have a look through this Celestron I was delighted to. After all, a budget Celestron!

Celestron are one of the BEST names in telescopes. They wouldn't put their brand on a piece of crap would they? So it would be something I could recommend to those astronomers who want something to look through when the moon is out, when something interesting is happening in the summer sky - after all, who in their right mind goes out in the winter when it's cold? Yes yes, I know there are many more interesting things in the winter sky and the atmosphere is better and the heat haze is gone... but it's cold and I don't want to spend 250 on a decent telescope.

Big mistake. Sorry. I didn't mean buying a proper telescope is a big mistake. Buying THIS telescope is a big mistake. Honestly - you're better off spending the money on beer bottles and using them to look at the night sky (after you've drunk the contents obv.)

The telescope is awful. Horrible, tinny, plasticky thing with hardly any magnification, loads of distortion and the flimsiest tripod you can imagine. For shame CELESTRON. You can do (have done) MUCH better than this - even at the super budget end of the spectrum.

If £40 is all you have to spend on a 'scope - don't bother. Buy a decent book about astronomy. And a Philip's Planisphere: Northern 51.5 Degrees - British Isles, Northern Europe Northern USA and Canada (Philip's Astronomy). And use your eyes. Don't buy this scope.