on 29 October 2011
[Bought from chellgrove] I needed a new gas lift for my office chair (Luxury Dark Brown Director Office Chair with Folding Backrest). It originally came with a 7" gas lift, which turned out to be a bit on the low side, so I always had it at the maximum height. This meant a lot of stress on the piston while reclining, and after a while it started to work loose, wobble, and then loose height while sitting. I ordered a 9" gas lift to replace it, and I'm very happy with the product I received. The fitting instructions were clear, though the old lift needed a good few whacks with a hammer to get it out, but it all worked out fine in the end. The new gas lift is a perfect fit, I've set it to extended about half way, and it feels pretty stable. Hopefully having a long gas lift set half way will last longer - than a shorter gas lift on maximum. Time will tell...
on 23 April 2012
My old chair had developed a defective gas strut and would gradually let down anyone who sat on it. This is an exact replacement for the old strut - fits perfectly and everything is now back to normal.

When checking your size, make sure you measure the full length of the body of the strut (the thick part) as this extends through the 5-leg chair base.

Be aware that it might need a bit of applied force to dismantle the old one. The instructions suggest removing the strut from the base by tapping with a soft mallet. You might find as I did that a firm blow or two with a club-hammer cushioned with a block of wood is needed (although this will probably depend on the weight of the person who has been using the chair). Similarly removing the chair seat from the top of the strut mught take a bit of tapping all round with a hammer both on the sides of the strut, and on the collar of the seat that fits around it.

Not a problem though. It's simple, straighforward, and takes very little time.

Quick delivery too - very satisfied.
on 28 May 2012
I had an office chair for the computer at home which continually kept dropping its height whilst using it, really annoying. I had been looking to replace the chair but a decent chair is not cheap! I bought the 9" gas lift to replace the 7" so the starting height would be greater and it works very well. Easy to replace and fit the new gas lift, very satisfied with this product!
on 18 June 2011
I was really impressed with this supplier. Their literature/instructions are concise but well put together. And if you were having further problems they had included a telephone number so you could speak to them.
on 4 May 2011
I was sorry to realise that my gas lift was gone in the mail system so I only received an empty tube. However, It was replaced with no problems by a new sending and I now have received the gas lift. Thank you :-)
on 21 September 2012
I bought this product because the gas lift in my chair was gone. This is slightly longer than the original, which is exactly what I wanted as I find they always make them too short anyway. The product is very easy to fit, although a small amount of force was required to get the original cylinder off. I believe there are tools available for doing this, but repeated force also works just fine.

The most impressive thing was how fast this was delivered. I ordered on a Wednesday evening (after close of business) and the product arrived before 10am the next day. This is simply outstanding. All in all, there is nothing bad I can write about this product, the packaging or how long it took to arrive.
on 30 November 2014
I purchased this item in early August 2014. It was a good price, was delivered quickly and (after a bit of heavy work with a hammer removing the original gas lift from my chair) was simple to install.

I have used it regularly since then in a home / office setting. I am 185cm tall and weigh under 100kg.

Two days ago, the gas lift lost its ability to maintain its 'set' position and whenever I sit on it, it immediately sinks to its lowest position. I have looked for help or support to see if I can rectify the problem, but can't find anything that seems helpful on Amazon.

So, I'm writing this review and advising people to not purchase this item as it may fail after just over 90 days use [not abuse].
on 24 October 2014
The item lasted a few weeks and now drops after minutes of sitting on the chair, I'm under 13 stone so not an amazing load to take.

Considering the one it replaced took several years to get to that sort of stage I would not recommend anyone buy this product.

Either look at another item or just use a piece of plastic piping and don't waste your money.
on 13 January 2014
We thought that we would have to replace our home office chair as it kept lowering when sat on. I measured the old gas lift and found that I needed a 7 inch replacement. Before ordering I checked the reviews and saw that one person suggested getting a slightly longer replacement. I opted for the 9 inch replacement. I am so glad I did. The lower height of the chair is now at what would be the mid point of the old 7 inch gas lift. But importantly the longer gas lift now raises the chair to the correct height with the desk and it is still not at its full extension. So hopefully no more sore necks and backs. Impressed with the quality.

As to fitting the instructions are reasonably clear. I did have to use a wooden mallet to hit the base of the old gas lift to remove it from the legs. I used WD40 as the instructions suggested. Within a couple of hits it came off. Removing it from the base of the chair took a bit longer. I soaked it in WD40 and left it. The gas lift would not come free by hand. Do not try to remove the gas lift by striking down on the top of the gas lift. It is better to hit the plate below the chair which the gas lift goes into. But to do this you may need to remove the plate from underneath the chair. The plate was held on by four bolts which were very easy to remove. The plastic cover which goes around the old gas lift was too short because of getting a longer gas lift. I appreciated this was a possiblity when I bought the gas lift. The new gas lift is totally black. The photo on Amazon is incorrect as is shows a silver top. I am more than happy that it is totally black.

I would suggest that when measuring you consider getting a taller gas lift. Overall great product and not too difficult to replace. I would certainly recommend you buy one as it will save a fortune in replacing an officer chair.

UPDATE
A few weeks on and I am still totally happy with this gas lift. We have had no issues. It is a 100% recommendation and a easy way to save on the purchase of a new chair.
on 23 May 2013
Found this product purely by chance, whilst searching for gas cartridges for my weed burner on Google.

Over the years I have thrown away a number of office chairs due to the gas lift mechanism failing, what a waste. Six months ago I spent £200 on a chair from Staples. The other day I found myself sinking slowly to the floor, yet another gas lift broken. Anyway, I bought 2 of these from Charg-e for just over £20 including delivery. This has proved to be an excellent purchase.

The 9" gas lift is a good size for most people. If you are over 6' tall I suggest you get one of the larger sizes that this company also sells.

To replace a gas lift mechanism you will need a hammer, a block of wood, a large mole grip or other large wrench capable of opening to about 1.25-1.5 inches and some WD40 or similar, and possibly an Allen key to fit the bolts that fix the bracket to the underside of the chair.

Upend the chair and support it securely. Spray WD40 around both ends of the gas lift mechanism then leave it for a few minutes to work in. Place the block of wood on the bottom of the gas lift mechanism and give it a few sharp hits with the hammer to remove the castor base. Remove the 2 or 3 plastic collars

If you can access the top of the gas lift with your grips, clamp the grips to the gas lift and tap it with the hammer to rotate it from the bracket under the seat. If you cannot access the gas lift you will have to remove the bracket that is fixed to the underside of the seat (these are usually fixed with 4 'Allen' type bolts).

To fit the new gas lift simple put it into the castor base, replace the plastic collars and finally place the seat unit on top. The whole job should take no more than about 15 minutes.

There were no instructions with the gas lifts, however there is an excellent video on You Tube showing you how to replace these.

Please note that, as far as I am aware, this gas lift mechanism fits most office chairs, however I am unable to confirm that. Please ensure you check your own chair for compatability.